Lights for a Mixed Reef

• SRC Member

Hi guys..wanted to know which 1 will u all prefer in term of colour and growth for the lightning for a 2ftcube mixed reef. 10tubes of t5 or 250watt mh 12k bulb with 2 tubes of t5? Thanks in advance! Need more suggestion! Pls!

• SRC Member
Hi guys..wanted to know which 1 will u all prefer in term of colour and growth for the lightning for a 2ftcube mixed reef. 10tubes of t5 or 250watt mh 12k bulb with 2 tubes of t5? Thanks in advance! Need more suggestion! Pls!

bro, go for the mh la. To replace 10tubes of T5 is no joke to the pocket... The shimmering effect achieve by mh is much nicer as well :)

Main Tank: 5 x 1 x 1

Return from overflow: Eheim compact+ 5000

Lighting: 2x 54W T5

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1350

Chiller: Arctica 1/10

Wave Maker: Tunze Nano Wavebox & Tunze 6055 with Photocell
Monitor 1: American Marine Pinpoint pH monitor
Monitor 2: American Marine Pinpoint Temperature monitor

• SRC Member
bro, go for the mh la. To replace 10tubes of T5 is no joke to the pocket... The shimmering effect achieve by mh is much nicer as well :)

oh ya..never tot of changing 10tubes of t5..hahas! think will go for mh then. thanks so much for reminding me of changing 10tubes of t5..lols!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Reefz lover

i think you have to consider a few issues:

1. the PAR (Photosynthetically Available Radiation) / PPFD (Photosynthetic Photon FLux Density) requirements (ie. quantity) as well as spectral quality (ie. color) requirements of your intended captive inhabitants. Several articles by Dana Riddle and Sanjay Joshi in the Adavnced Aquarist Mag should provide u with some leads on the lighting requirements

2.your spectral preference (ie. what colour do u prefer looking at). again, Feldman et al. (2008) in the march issue of AA Mag will illuminate u (pardon the pun)

3. the depth of ur pocket. i agree with Reefzzz on the cost issue.

Hope this helps.

• 4 months later...
Hi Reefz lover

i think you have to consider a few issues:

1. the PAR (Photosynthetically Available Radiation) / PPFD (Photosynthetic Photon FLux Density) requirements (ie. quantity) as well as spectral quality (ie. color) requirements of your intended captive inhabitants. Several articles by Dana Riddle and Sanjay Joshi in the Adavnced Aquarist Mag should provide u with some leads on the lighting requirements

2.your spectral preference (ie. what colour do u prefer looking at). again, Feldman et al. (2008) in the march issue of AA Mag will illuminate u (pardon the pun)

3. the depth of ur pocket. i agree with Reefzzz on the cost issue.

Hope this helps.

And not forgetting the running cost in the long run.. esp when the electricity bill going north nowsaday..

• SRC Member

upz for MH...

currently the best light so far is still MH...

tt's my personal opinion....

give the reef a boost of light bro...

been having another big plan going??

My 3ft tank

Dimension --> 3ftx1.5ftx2ft

Ehiem 1262 return

Ehiem 1260

Artica 1/5hp Chiller

Tunze 6055 + 7091 single controller

EcoTech Marine Vortech MP40W

Royal Exclusive Mini BubbleKing 160

Lumenarc 250watt 10K BLV

02x Giesemann T5 39watt (blue + Actinic)

Deltec 501 CR

• SRC Member

Hmm MH the cost running it will be wow!!!T5 for mixed reef around 6x24watts should be enough.If 10x 24 watts will be 240watts 10 less watts than MH.

girlone.png

• SRC Member

i'm running a mixed reef and currently using 8x 24W.. more than enough.. good for sps and other softies at the bottom..

personally i prefer T5s as they give a wider spectrum of colour temperatures u can choose from to tweak the lighting to sooth your preferences.. more blue, or more purplish, or more red, or more white, entirely flexible by utilising the wide array of tubes available in the market.. just my personal opinion.. even with 6 T5s it will not lose to a 250W.. provided with a good fixture and good tubes..

don't forget how hot MH is.. T5 is hot, but not as hot..

just my views.. :)

• SRC Member
i'm running a mixed reef and currently using 8x 24W.. more than enough.. good for sps and other softies at the bottom..

personally i prefer T5s as they give a wider spectrum of colour temperatures u can choose from to tweak the lighting to sooth your preferences.. more blue, or more purplish, or more red, or more white, entirely flexible by utilising the wide array of tubes available in the market.. just my personal opinion.. even with 6 T5s it will not lose to a 250W.. provided with a good fixture and good tubes..

don't forget how hot MH is.. T5 is hot, but not as hot..

just my views.. :)

MH is too hot till it burns the cash in your pocket/parents pocket

You guys should know what i mean :D

girlone.png

With electricity cost going North I will recomend T5.

Many had proof not problem for both SPS and LPS.

Long run you may look at LED when it become more affordable

for the general market.

Save your pocket and save the earth

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• Moderators

IMO, MH is still the better lighting compare to T5/LED if we are not looking power/heat.

For tank with 1.5Ft and below, you will do fine with a good quality T5. Anything deeper, you will need MH if you need to place corals on sandbed.

For calm keeper, MH is probably the best as it being out the colours of your clam.

Just my own observation. :)

Tom

u BUY MH = BUY CHILLER = LESS EVAPORATION MORE wattage ELECTRICITY <_<

u buy T5 + FAN = more evaporation less wattage ELECTRICITY (4 X t5 + 1 FAN = below 28degrees) :eyebrow:

however topping up water price can never exceed (xtra wattage for MH than t5 & chiller electricity price) :eyebrow:

i so far only hear of 1 person use MH with fan and w/o chiller...but he disappear liaoz..(maybe e price of topping up water killed him...) :pirate:

FYI for 2 feet cube i dun suggest Mh,if u take focus/wide spread beam for bulb not much place shift ur corals to hide,also dependant on flow restriction to place ur corals...

lastly if u think MH can keep better corals than t5 then maybe it might be a mental barrier,due to impression given by MH reefers always get gd resutls and nt knwing what secrets they dose in their water.

• SRC Supporter
IMO, MH is still the better lighting compare to T5/LED if we are not looking power/heat.

For tank with 1.5Ft and below, you will do fine with a good quality T5. Anything deeper, you will need MH if you need to place corals on sandbed.

For calm keeper, MH is probably the best as it being out the colours of your clam.

agree,esp on the clam apart.

but ofcos 1 have to take note that its not always more lighting means better, might be too overkill resulting in bleachin!

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, nothing beats the MH if you are keeping full sps. But then, since the electricity price is high, may be have to re-adjust to use LED or T5 and make the tank shallower. Maintenance in terms of runnig cost will be cheaper and easier to do pruning , etc...

Member of :
post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F

MASS in Facebook

Reefing in LED

• SRC Member
u BUY MH = BUY CHILLER = LESS EVAPORATION MORE wattage ELECTRICITY <_<

u buy T5 + FAN = more evaporation less wattage ELECTRICITY (4 X t5 + 1 FAN = below 28degrees) :eyebrow:

however topping up water price can never exceed (xtra wattage for MH than t5 & chiller electricity price) :eyebrow:

i so far only hear of 1 person use MH with fan and w/o chiller...but he disappear liaoz..(maybe e price of topping up water killed him...) :pirate:

FYI for 2 feet cube i dun suggest Mh,if u take focus/wide spread beam for bulb not much place shift ur corals to hide,also dependant on flow restriction to place ur corals...

lastly if u think MH can keep better corals than t5 then maybe it might be a mental barrier,due to impression given by MH reefers always get gd resutls and nt knwing what secrets they dose in their water.

You can check out this website at http://www.nano-reef.com/

l7304smr.jpg