Office nano

law1210

Thanks to bro peacemaker's custom-made 1ft tank, I finally can have a clean nano to show people. In my previous 1ft tank, I have to struggle with the algae that is infesting the tank. And those snails that I put in die almost immediately. Basically filtration is not enough in that tank and thus water quality no good.

Now with this tank, I can keep a stable cleaning team. No need to scrub tank wall anymore. And sand is also white white. No more green green. :D

Anyway, here's how it looks now

Marine_31Jul08.jpg

The star polyps and clam juz put in 2 days ago. But dunno why these few days the zoa doesn't open up that much. Could it be me putting my hands into the tank too much? Cos I need to 'arrange' the stuff these few days...

My 1.5ft Nano tank

Equipment: Sump with chaeto, hydor nano wavemakers, Maxspect 60W LED, return pump Rio 12HF

Livestock: 2xMaroon Clown, Yellow Watchman Goby, Algae Blenny, six-line wrasse, Fire & Skunk Shrimp, turbo snails, hermit crabs.

Corals: Zoas, Rics, Hammer, Blue & Green Starpolyps.

• SRC Member

best to do a fresh water dip for 5 mins and shake it well to get rid of potential nudibranchs

Mix Reef Tank: 5ft x 2.5ft x 2ft mixed reef

Chiller: daikin 1hp compressor

Return: Red Dragon 6.5m3

Lighting: Aqua Lumen Ocean 4ft

Skimmer: Reef Octopus RO-RPS-5000-EXT w/ Bubble Blaster

CR: RM 824 /milwakee PH controller

Tunze TS24 with 7096

Tunze Osmolator

American Pinpoint PH monitor

American Pinpoint ORP Monitor with Resun Ozone

RM sulphur denitrator

RM FR 424

RM FR 624

TLF Phosban Reactor

My old tank thread

469748_10150741487628605_529506809_o_zps36d5c396.jpg

• SRC Member

best to do a fresh water dip for 5 mins and shake it well to get rid of potential nudibranchs

Mix Reef Tank: 5ft x 2.5ft x 2ft mixed reef

Chiller: daikin 1hp compressor

Return: Red Dragon 6.5m3

Lighting: Aqua Lumen Ocean 4ft

Skimmer: Reef Octopus RO-RPS-5000-EXT w/ Bubble Blaster

CR: RM 824 /milwakee PH controller

Tunze TS24 with 7096

Tunze Osmolator

American Pinpoint PH monitor

American Pinpoint ORP Monitor with Resun Ozone

RM sulphur denitrator

RM FR 424

RM FR 624

TLF Phosban Reactor

My old tank thread

469748_10150741487628605_529506809_o_zps36d5c396.jpg

Thanks to bro peacemaker's custom-made 1ft tank, I finally can have a clean nano to show people. In my previous 1ft tank, I have to struggle with the algae that is infesting the tank. And those snails that I put in die almost immediately. Basically filtration is not enough in that tank and thus water quality no good.

Now with this tank, I can keep a stable cleaning team. No need to scrub tank wall anymore. And sand is also white white. No more green green. :D

Anyway, here's how it looks now

Marine_31Jul08.jpg

The star polyps and clam juz put in 2 days ago. But dunno why these few days the zoa doesn't open up that much. Could it be me putting my hands into the tank too much? Cos I need to 'arrange' the stuff these few days...

Bro, remember that the smaller the tank, the more difficult it is to maintain the water parameters. Small tanks (anything less than 2 ft) has almost no buffer for any changes and don't be surprised if you see a spike within half a week. :pinch: Test the water regularly to ensure it's tip-top for your babies in the tank. :lol:

er...is it too late now?

Bro, remember that the smaller the tank, the more difficult it is to maintain the water parameters. Small tanks (anything less than 2 ft) has almost no buffer for any changes and don't be surprised if you see a spike within half a week. :pinch: Test the water regularly to ensure it's tip-top for your babies in the tank. :lol:

yes sir! I hv lots to learn when it comes to marine tank.

My 1.5ft Nano tank

Equipment: Sump with chaeto, hydor nano wavemakers, Maxspect 60W LED, return pump Rio 12HF

Livestock: 2xMaroon Clown, Yellow Watchman Goby, Algae Blenny, six-line wrasse, Fire & Skunk Shrimp, turbo snails, hermit crabs.

• SRC Member

ur ZOA and the star polyps is not opening, lights juz came on or it's being awhile? do a fresh water dip for the zoa for ard 5min see if it's better. One more thing, purple queen anthias are hard to get it to feed even for advanced reefer.

pico pico pico.

ur ZOA and the star polyps is not opening, lights juz came on or it's being awhile? do a fresh water dip for the zoa for ard 5min see if it's better. One more thing, purple queen anthias are hard to get it to feed even for advanced reefer.

ok I'll do a freshwater dip for the zoa. For the purple queen anthias, I'm feeding it with live brine shrimp. It gets quite excited during feeding time. Hope I can keep it well.

My 1.5ft Nano tank

Actually, I thot my one looks more like yellowback anthia because of its yellow back and tail. And the body is like pink in color. Really difficult to ID marine fish with all these small little differences between them.

My 1.5ft Nano tank

Oh no, I just read that this shrimp can eat small corals or mushrooms:

** The Camel Shrimp: Rhynchocinetes durbanensis **

I've got one in the tank. Should I give it away (anybody want)? And get peppermint shrimp instead? I scared my tank hv Aiptasia. I saw one that looks like it and saw it catching brine shrimp.

Can peppermint shrimp get along well with cleaner shrimp, twinspot goby and clownfish?

My 1.5ft Nano tank

• SRC Member

haha welcome to the world of reefing. lolz... dont worry too much on the camel shrimp. observe it closely for a couple more days, if its disturbing your corals then remove it haha, they are like some angels, some eats corals others just leave them alone. depend on luck.

cheers

haha welcome to the world of reefing. lolz... dont worry too much on the camel shrimp. observe it closely for a couple more days, if its disturbing your corals then remove it haha, they are like some angels, some eats corals others just leave them alone. depend on luck.

cheers

lol guess I cannot find him guilty unless I find proof. ^_^ Furthermore it has gone thru thick n thin with me being the first lifestock I purchased for my marine tank. Think I'll just get the peppermint shrimp first without removing the camel shrimp.

My 1.5ft Nano tank

Few days ago did another freshwater dip on that zoa that is not opening and something like a small mantis shrimp jumped out. After that dip, at least the zoa is not totally closed but it is still far from what it used to be...dunno wat else to do now...juz hv to monitor it?

The star polyps are stretching out more after I directed the small pump over it. And the small mushrooms and zoas frags seems to be opening up ok. If got chance, will take some pics of them. Meanwhile will post some 'old' pics of other livestock in there. At least they are thriving (better than the corals).

TwinspotGoby.jpg

Trying very hard to feed it with live brine shrimp, pellets and mysis shrimps.

CamelShrimp.jpg

Camel shrimp..he is the cause of my dilemma now.

Nemoncleaner.jpg

The king of this tank -- clownfish. It has grown a lot darker than wat it used to be. And the cleaner shrimp has molted many times. Scary..the speed it is growing. At the foreground is the closed zoas. It has now open up a little bit more.

Featherworm.jpg

Feather worm. My colleagues say worms, snails and parasites seems to be thriving better in this tank. :-(

My 1.5ft Nano tank

• SRC Member
Few days ago did another freshwater dip on that zoa that is not opening and something like a small mantis shrimp jumped out. After that dip, at least the zoa is not totally closed but it is still far from what it used to be...dunno wat else to do now...juz hv to monitor it?

The star polyps are stretching out more after I directed the small pump over it. And the small mushrooms and zoas frags seems to be opening up ok. If got chance, will take some pics of them. Meanwhile will post some 'old' pics of other livestock in there. At least they are thriving (better than the corals).

TwinspotGoby.jpg

Trying very hard to feed it with live brine shrimp, pellets and mysis shrimps.

CamelShrimp.jpg

Camel shrimp..he is the cause of my dilemma now.

Nemoncleaner.jpg

The king of this tank -- clownfish. It has grown a lot darker than wat it used to be. And the cleaner shrimp has molted many times. Scary..the speed it is growing. At the foreground is the closed zoas. It has now open up a little bit more.

Featherworm.jpg

Feather worm. My colleagues say worms, snails and parasites seems to be thriving better in this tank. :-(

dun perform any more water dip.it will caue more damage than help

Bro, nice and neat tank. Keep up the good work. For yr shrimp collection, maybe u can add fire shrimp...nice nice...for your banded shrimp, hope it doesnt attack yr other shrimp as mine killed quite a few of my shrimp...hehehe....yr maroon will continue to be king...wahaha....so becareful what to add.....

For zoa, fresh water dip is good to remove parasite but it is likely to cause stress. Hence, dont dip it often. The mantis shrimp like creature that came out after the freshwater dip may not be mantis shrimp, it maybe a delicious food for your fishes...hehe.

For 2 spot goby, it is a good jumper, so just becareful and you may want to cover your tank. All my 2 spot gobies died from flying.....sighz....dont know whether is it because there is some fierce fish chasing them......

Keep the pic coming. Hehe.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

Thanks. No worries, I dun dare to dip too many times too. scared will stress it. understands that zoas dun need tip top condition to live. instead it needs constant water condition. so will juz maintain the water condition and monitor it.

Juz got a hydor nano wavemaker and flo deflector from Petmart this morning. :eyebrow:

My 1.5ft Nano tank

Nemo.jpg

This is how the maroon looks like when I first got it ard 4mths ago. That time the tank has insufficient filtration and I struggled to maintain it. That coral in the background did not make it...but this Nemo survived! Tough fellow.

My 1.5ft Nano tank

....yr maroon will continue to be king...wahaha....so becareful what to add.....

thanks bro. Actually my first question to lfs is always, "can this fish live with maroon clown?" In the end, got a pink color anthia from Ah Beng shop. At first still happy they live peacefully together n the anthia was feeding fine. But one morning come in office found the anthia up the lorry. :-(

btw, is a six line wrasse suitable for my tank?

My 1.5ft Nano tank

Bro,

Maroon clown in my opinion seems to be commando, hardy. I got one since day one and it managed to survived after i tryed to pair it with another bigger maroon. Initially it got whacked by the bigger maroon and other damsels and all the fins got torn. However, it recovered and came back stronger. And all damsels decided to leave "him" alone and he managed to pair up with the bigger maroon.

True, certain LFSs do provide contradicting advices but in this world, there are full of miracles...hence cannot say they are wrong....as he might come across ppl successfully put incompatible fishes together.....hence my advice is check with snr here. Some fishes with proper and long aclimatisation, seems to be able to get together.

Now coming to your query on 6 line wrasse....some managed to get tame one while others got agressive type. I will advice you not to get it unless you know this will be your very last fish to add and also u got strong possession feel for it...hehehe....my six line killed my black cap and royal gammas, yellow wrasse, challenged my barlett anthias, etc. Managed to catch it out and put into my quarantine tank.....but subsequently committed suicide by being a flying fish...sob sob....they can be good jumper, hence the choice is yours.

Happy Reefing. : )

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Algae Scrubbler

Oppss...missed yr query about anthias. Barlett Anthias is one hardy kind. Other kind of anthias like the purple queen, dispar, etc are not easy to keep. If you read the book, they require swimming space and need to keep a group of 7 or more.....When i first started...also bought them....one refused to eat and subsequently died of hunger...and the other ate but decided to starve later.....Anyway, i believe they are ppl who got successful case in keeping them but so far for small tank, i have not seen any...big tank, yes, pple managed to keep them...Hope this help. : )

Algae Scrubbler

Oppss...missed yr query about anthias. Barlett Anthias is one hardy kind. Other kind of anthias like the purple queen, dispar, etc are not easy to keep. If you read the book, they require swimming space and need to keep a group of 7 or more.....When i first started...also bought them....one refused to eat and subsequently died of hunger...and the other ate but decided to starve later.....Anyway, i believe they are ppl who got successful case in keeping them but so far for small tank, i have not seen any...big tank, yes, pple managed to keep them...Hope this help. : )

Thanks for the advice, bro. Doubt I'll keep another anthias in this tank again.

My 1.5ft Nano tank

One of my snails is murdered this morning and the killer is caught in the act.

Hermit_murder.jpg

I think I'm going to give up this hermit. Anyone interested? Pickup location: Yishun, office hrs. FOC

My 1.5ft Nano tank

Update some new zoas bought from AM last Fri. Saw some very nice luminuous colored yumas there. But me newbies. So dun dare to buy one more to put inside my tank. Anyway, here's the new zoas I bought. Sorry for the lousy pics taken from hp.

DSC00058.jpg

DSC00059.jpg

My 1.5ft Nano tank

• SRC Member
One of my snails is murdered this morning and the killer is caught in the act.

Hahaha... I experienced the same thing before. Now my remaining snail is dodging the 2 hermits the best he can. Need to get empty shells for them soon.