jythong's 24G Nano tank

jythong

Just set this up 4 days ago, got this as a package from a LFS. This photo shows a slightly cloudy tank because just set up, but now very clear. I think I need some more live rocks, what do you think?

Now cycling using live sand and rocks, was told that can add fish soon, about 5 days after setup, but also received conflicting advice. Anyway today added some cleanup crew like snails and shrimps and hermit crabs, and hopefully can add a gramma and LPS... Ammonia, nitite and nitrate all 0.

DSC_0001-5.jpg

welcome bro. In Cycling process, your NH(ammonia) and NO2(nitrite) will go up and later drop back to zero. You can use this as a gauge to determine the readiness of your tank. You may want to get some more rocks or wait till you buy corals and decide. Cause corals come together with rock. For royal gamma, you may wish to include last and add in all your tame fishes. : )

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

Day 5 now, tests for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are 0. Perhaps the live sand really acelerated the cycling process.

DSC_0007-5.jpg

A cleaner shrimp, some snails and hermit crabs were added.

Also added a Bangai Cardinalfish and a Purple Firefish.

Added the following corals:

Hammer coral

DSC_0003-7.jpg

Zoanthids

DSC_0006-7.jpg

Need to slow down now.

Peacemaker, thanks for the advice. Trying hard to resist further buying now.

Raydiative, frankly I can't really think of a better way to scape it. I thought the rocks are a little too low though, so thinking of getting more, so that I can lodge some light-demanding corals up there...when I am more ready for more challenges.

I found that my pH rather lowish, about 7.8, and have tried adding one capful each of Aquapharm Seabalance Part A & B, hope that will improve the pH over the next few days.

I found that ammonia appeared today: somewhat difficult to distinguish the colours on the strip, but it is either 0 or 0.25ppm. Nitrite and nitrate all 0 now. Will continue to monitor.

Cardinalfish still hiding behind and not eating, whereas firefish hides all the time except for the morning feeding, when it comes out and takes a few bites.

Just changed the protein skimmer today, from the resun (which is almost impossible to adjust) to a Boyu, which is fixed quickly and easily and I think more powerful.

• SRC Member

Is yor corals suffering?

girlone.png

• SRC Member
Raydiative, frankly I can't really think of a better way to scape it. I thought the rocks are a little too low though, so thinking of getting more, so that I can lodge some light-demanding corals up there...when I am more ready for more challenges.

Just changed the protein skimmer today, from the resun (which is almost impossible to adjust) to a Boyu, which is fixed quickly and easily and I think more powerful.

you can get another LR to place in the middle and move your top piece higher. us with a 24G nano have very little space to play around with so the selection of LR is critical!

post a pic of the boyu skimmer and let me know how is the performance. i am using the resun and it's working fine for me. =]

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

you can get another LR to place in the middle and move your top piece higher. us with a 24G nano have very little space to play around with so the selection of LR is critical!

post a pic of the boyu skimmer and let me know how is the performance. i am using the resun and it's working fine for me. =]

Sure, will take a photo soon. I found it very difficult to adjust the Resun skimmer- the pieces keep falling apart despite the (weak) tape and no bubbles come out, or the water soon overflows the collection cup. Quite frustrating.

The corals are Ok so far. But only got them for 2 days, but opening up quite well. I thought I saw a nudibrach on the zoa when I placed it in tank. Should have done freshwater dipping.

Here is a pic of the Boyu skimmer that I am now using, it fits very well. Please let me know if the skimming level is correct. Since it is a new aquarium, not much skimmate yet.

However, I find it produces many small bubbles into the tank, not sure how to remove it.

DSC_0002-7.jpg

• SRC Member
Here is a pic of the Boyu skimmer that I am now using, it fits very well. Please let me know if the skimming level is correct. Since it is a new aquarium, not much skimmate yet.

However, I find it produces many small bubbles into the tank, not sure how to remove it.

DSC_0002-7.jpg

micro bubble is it? try adjusting the height.I seen a similar skimmer at lfs, was skimming well not didnt remember seeing any micro bubble.

• 4 weeks later...

nice tank bro. Haha....think you must stop going farm liao....kekeke

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Algae Scrubbler

nice tank bro. Haha....think you must stop going farm liao....kekeke

Very difficult: work near 2 lfs and old house near pasir ris. Maybe should stop logging into sgreef to look at lfs updates. :upsidedown:

Really, should I remove the green macroalgae? Does it look odd in a reef tank? I put it there just to remove phosphates.

i find it alright. You need some green to break the tones....hehe

Algae Scrubbler

nice tank bro :)

Main tank: 4.5 x 2.5 x 2
Skimmer: Deltec AP701
Return pump: RD 6

Chiller: Daikin compressor with Titanium coil
Wavemaker: Jebao w-20, Maxspect Gyre xf150

Lighting: 8x54 ATI Sunpower Non-dimmable

Linked tank
Main tank: 2 x 1 x 2
Return: Eheim 1260
Lighting: AI Hydra 26 with controller
Wavemaker: Tunze 6025
My decommed 3 ft setup

• SRC Member
More stuff added but I think it currently looks rather cluttered. I think I should just dump the macroalgae or hide it somewhere, don't you think?Somehow those leafy stuff makes things look odd.

DSC_0006-9.jpg

Cute bubblegum-pink brain coral:

DSC_0007-6.jpg

nice tank bro. can i know wad lightings u using?

bro u stock up too fast already.. btw ur bubble gum open brain is bleaching.. or was it already like that when u got it?

It was like that when I got it....thought that is the natural colour. A female colleague said that it was cute and pink, so bought it.

I do monitor the tank closely, as I am aware I am stocking the tank rather fast...not easy to resist buying.

nice tank bro. can i know wad lightings u using?

The lights came with the JBJ cube setup. I think it is 2 compact fluorescent with 36W each, so total of 72 watts for the tank. Half white and half actinic.

Anyway I just rescaped the whole tank, hope it looks nicer. Will post pics tomorrow.

Did a rescape, and managed to increase the height of the overall structure by stacking another live rock on top of others. Hence the sps and clam can enjoy more intense light. Also moved the macroalgae to the back, and moved the favia forwards to a more prominent position, as suggested by someone :upsidedown: I think this is a better scape as there is more stable space to put corals nearer to the light source.

DSC_0003-10.jpg

The orange plate coral

DSC_0004-12.jpg

Got these recently, was told these are rics...one of them almost crushed by falling rocks! Paid $100 for these...you think these are worth it?

DSC_0007-7.jpg

The hammer grows rapidly and expands very well. Behind is the favia I got from GO

DSC_0017-2.jpg

The open brain, so easy to feed

DSC_0018-3.jpg