white spot

i have a couple of fish with white spot what is the best treatement

my system is quite new and holds hard and soft corals which all seem fine

my water tests ok although a trace of nitrate(very little)

any help gratefully accepted

RedSea Max 34 Gal w SunSun canister filter/built in UV

2 x 55W T5(original) + 2 x ATi 24W 2' DIY VHO T5

Hailea 150A chiller

Original RedSea Prizm skimmer

2 x Korallia Nano

1 x Korallia Hydro Flo

BM 101 3 channel Dosing pump

Snail Ph Meter

buy the aquarium garlic guard and then soak the frozen food(hikari cube brine shrimp ok) overnite.... feed continuously for 3 - 5 days u will guarantee see the improvement....

Learnt this tips from the senior in this forum when i used to have bad white spots problem initially with a blue tang and then spread to the rest of fish....

Miracle happens within 3 days... hesistate no more... it really work...

Good Luck! :rolleyes:

RedSea Max 34 Gal w SunSun canister filter/built in UV

2 x 55W T5(original) + 2 x ATi 24W 2' DIY VHO T5

Hailea 150A chiller

Original RedSea Prizm skimmer

2 x Korallia Nano

1 x Korallia Hydro Flo

BM 101 3 channel Dosing pump

Snail Ph Meter

buy the aquarium garlic guard and then soak the frozen food(hikari cube brine shrimp ok) overnite.... feed continuously for 3 - 5 days u will guarantee see the improvement....

Learnt this tips from the senior in this forum when i used to have bad white spots problem initially with a blue tang and then spread to the rest of fish....

It works on my fishes too! Very recommended practice. :eyebrow:

Reefing since 2003
 4ft x 2ft x 2ft Mixed Reef (BB):-
50 Gal Sump,

Apex Controlled System (Lab grade),
Deltec SC1455 Protein Skimmer,
Vortech MP40wQD,

Jebao RW-15

Maxspect Razor 320w
Eheim 1260 Return Pump,
Hailea HS-66A 1/4HP chiller,
TLF Reactor 150, running HydroCarbon 

Hi there,

Recently there've been a few postings about fishes getting 'hit' by white spots or 'ick'. Not surprising since most reefers r only too eager to add to their collection. Fishes displayed by LFS may appear to be getting along very well but try it at home n u'll soon see different ressults. Apparently they ( the fishes) will live happily in a bare tank but add some rocks n they'll start becoming territorial. Next comes the stress of being chased about n the white spots start to appear.

One form of salvation is Chem-Marin. Follow the instructions carefully n u may yet save ur investment.

Good luck,

Finbir.

• SRC Member

is it seachem brand?

• SRC Member

lMO, l have tried many reef safe medication and none has impressed me. No need to waste money on expensive reef safe medication...many are not as what they claimed. For reef tank, best to improve water quality, reduce stress of the fish, feed garlic soaked food, UV (optional), read more in this section of how other reefers deal with ich, and let the fish build up its own immunity. The other more effective way would be copper treatment or hyposalinity with the sick fish housed in a separate hospital tank, while improving the water quality in the main tank.

is it seachem brand?

Chem-Marin is available at Reef Depot as well as Henry's West Coast marine shop. Check it out with them. Saved my six P. ocellaris, Naso literatus , A. trimaculatus n Z. veliferum.(Using these names so u don't get the wrong fish).

N.B. Had the following for almost 3 years, the Blueface angel (from juvenile), a pymygy golden angel n a H. Venustus until they fell victim to white spots when I added a Naso tang. All were eating like pigs n yet only the Naso survived.

If only I'd known about Chem-Marin then.

BTW I'm no salesrep of the above product.

Good Day,

Finbir.

• 2 months later...
  • SRC Member

Sorry for digging up this thread. I got a similar problem now, and my purple dottyback, which is the only fish in the tank has been getting ich on and off daily. Sometimes the duration would delay for a day or so, then the white spots would come again.

I've tried using real garlic, chopped them up into small pieces, soaked them in warm water with frozen mysis shrimp and then feed it to the fish. There would be some improvement initially, but the white spot would resurface again. Will using real garlic be the same compared to the commercial type of garlic sold in LFS? Please advise.

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

bro, those commercial garlic solution sold in shops are usually concentrated extract. So if you want, maybe you can buy a lot and extract their juice...hehe. I may be wrong.

For itch, some will advice to go for hypo .......using garlic is to beef up fishes immunity but when there is outbreak...it might be too late unless your fishes still eat and pray hard the fight against that. Some will advice using UV.

At the moment, dont add fishes...let tank settle down...hopefully your fish can win the battle against ich...

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member
bro, those commercial garlic solution sold in shops are usually concentrated extract. So if you want, maybe you can buy a lot and extract their juice...hehe. I may be wrong.

For itch, some will advice to go for hypo .......using garlic is to beef up fishes immunity but when there is outbreak...it might be too late unless your fishes still eat and pray hard the fight against that. Some will advice using UV.

At the moment, dont add fishes...let tank settle down...hopefully your fish can win the battle against ich...

Use Hyposalinity only if you don't have any invert and coral. inverts and corals are quire sensitive to this.

If you only fish dies, Your tank will be ich free you can try to wait it out for 4-6 weeks until all ich, eggs, larva dies off before buying new fishes. As long as there's fish, there a host for these parasites. no fish, no host, they die.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

I do have soft corals and a snail in my tank. I havent bought any fishes for 3 weeks already and the parasites are attacking the same fish over and over again hence the continued ich attacks.

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

• Senior Reefer

my moorish idol also got ich like crazy! mine is worse then urs ok, my ich is appear everyday from morning and even night. the fish is still eating like a pig and i dun wan to treat. i find it pointless coz if i treat it, i have to treat every fish in my tank and let the tank go fallow for few months, i dun have the facilities to do this unfortunately. im just praying that with the immunity, it can fight it off himself. so far all my fishes did that. now see if my MI can or not.

good luck with ur ich problem. usually ich kills very fast. so if ur fish surviving this long liao, chances are quite good (:

• SRC Member

The fish eats like a pig and its been really strong to survive for so long. I've tried to limit by just feeding it food soaked in real garlic. Quite sad to see the never ending ich attacking on it day by day. :(

• Senior Reefer
The fish eats like a pig and its been really strong to survive for so long. I've tried to limit by just feeding it food soaked in real garlic. Quite sad to see the never ending ich attacking on it day by day. :(

eventually it will go away. just trust ur fish and dun give up.

eventually it will go away. just trust ur fish and dun give up.

hi hi , hmmm previously my tank got white spot for 2 times le. due to all the fish i got is 2nd hand and they are dam hardy as per owner, so only few fish die . i believe that the white spot still exist in my tank just that fish are immute to them

but i think if i intro new fish that fish will sure got white spot for those new fish . . .. . hmm what should i do man . . .

hey if i dont intro new fish for 6 week will the my tank be white spot-less

i currently running waterlife turbo twist UV 9W and 10% ozone for 24 hours.

that time i increase ozone to 20% one big fish die. i scare that is cause by ozone so i reduce back to 10%

so far white-spot is a pain in my ######

• Senior Reefer
hi hi , hmmm previously my tank got white spot for 2 times le. due to all the fish i got is 2nd hand and they are dam hardy as per owner, so only few fish die . i believe that the white spot still exist in my tank just that fish are immute to them

but i think if i intro new fish that fish will sure got white spot for those new fish . . .. . hmm what should i do man . . .

hey if i dont intro new fish for 6 week will the my tank be white spot-less

i currently running waterlife turbo twist UV 9W and 10% ozone for 24 hours.

that time i increase ozone to 20% one big fish die. i scare that is cause by ozone so i reduce back to 10%

so far white-spot is a pain in my ######

yes ur fish are still infected, but are immune or strong enough to fight it off and prevent the whitespot from getting to catastrophic level. the white spots are still attacking ur fish, just very minorly only. if u add in new fish, confirm it will get white spots and u will have to slowly get it immune to it. no point treating the new fish coz its not the new fish, its ur tank and ur other fish. the only way to solve this problem once and for all is to catch every fish out, cure them, and let the tank run fishless for 6 weeks. but its too troublesome, so just make all ur fish immune. best way. but harder and slower. new fish will get the white spot very fast/ but after 3-4 weeks, they will auto immune to it already. seen this happen to all my fish.

yes ur fish are still infected, but are immune or strong enough to fight it off and prevent the whitespot from getting to catastrophic level. the white spots are still attacking ur fish, just very minorly only. if u add in new fish, confirm it will get white spots and u will have to slowly get it immune to it. no point treating the new fish coz its not the new fish, its ur tank and ur other fish. the only way to solve this problem once and for all is to catch every fish out, cure them, and let the tank run fishless for 6 weeks. but its too troublesome, so just make all ur fish immune. best way. but harder and slower. new fish will get the white spot very fast/ but after 3-4 weeks, they will auto immune to it already. seen this happen to all my fish.

haizz like that die die must fishless for 6 weeks ar

haiz my 2nd tank is only 1ft cube ,

so many fish to take out meh haizzz

some more if intro new fish once got white spot also dont they will die not.

there china town aunty advice me to put the water life myxazin for one course. i wonder will that have a total cure on it

• Senior Reefer

to be honest, those reef safe medicine i dunno if will work 100%. alot of ppl say work, but could be coincidence, the white spot cycle just over etc etc. best is hypo. or if u can tahan like me, just live with the white spot lor. its too much trouble to completely eliminate white spot. its earier to keep it under control. go tru so much trouble to eliminate 100%, just one drop of LFS water can start againt he white spot. so best is control it. keep it below catastrophic levels. (: