DIY computers

junyong84

• SRC Member

very simple, decide what kind of CPU chip you want, celeron, AMD, pentium (a,B,C?) then if you choose anything other than pentium C chip, simply go to SLS and check out all the ready made deals, sure can find what you want for the best price, cheaper than put together piece by piece yourself. just buy another graphics card and ask them install for you. I bought inno3D geforce 5600 256 MB graphics card, was the most value for money I managed to find. cost 200 plus nia.

• SRC Member

I probably running one of the more powerful pc here...Dual XP 2000 on 2GB ram with a Geforce 4 Ti 128mb with 200GB hd!! :lol:B) (or is someone having a better power cruncher than me??) set up in mid 2002 so the grafixcard is a bit old!

Also diy..i've diyed/assembled almost 50+ comp for frens and relatives since sec school! this dual config is a mod from two XP chips..instead of using the original MP chips..planning to upgrade the chips..anyone interested in the two XP2000 chips??never oc b4 (actually cannot oc since my tyan board doesn't allows tt)?? :pirate:

used mainly for 3D rendering...

• SRC Member

all my comps diy (except my first 2). almost 10 diy liao. thing to note is not to compromise on brands.

get intel cpu

get kingston ram (so cheap, dont bother with those china made ones)

get asus mb (intel, sis, umc chipset)

get seagate or ibm hard disk

get creative sound card

get creative graphics card (if they have the chipset you want)

why? i tried before with those cheap china brands. always give compatibility problems or break down easily. please note that for most parts, shops will tell you the chipset is branded so no worries. ha! the pcb is more sensitive. those china ones will fail you, and worst of all, the fail slowly... giving you intermittant problems that are hard to trouble shoot.

my current pc is a diy pentium iii 500 mhz 4 years ago. now still using it as im not heavily into graphics. juz some games and photoshop. still good, no parts replaced except floppy drive. no issues when installing win98, then moved to win2000 and now winxp.

go branded on the parts, not the comp!

$800 can do but probably a celeron.

• SRC Member

I don't think one should put too much emphasis on how fast a powerful computer can become obsolete ..rather, in another perspective one should consider how much he can gain/reap by using the tools current state of the art technology can offer..in my case, i render animations, architectural impressions for $$$..the faster and more powerful the machine i use, the quicker i can accomplish my work and the more work i can tender for...time is $$ in my case..

yes, my best pc today will become obsolete tomorrow..but during this very minute till the upcoming dawn, i will earn enough to survive and perhaps get a few more brand new speedsters tomorrow!! The value of the tool is determined, in most cases, by the user.

Yeah..you are right! No point buying the most powerful pc if you can't or don't know how to put it to full use! It'll become a dust collector by next dawn!!;)

precisely. that is what I meant. I know of kids who bring mummy or daddy along to get the best PC there is simply because "my friend also using it what" or "my friend using lousier one, so I want better one lor."

happened to me when I got this new PC of mine two odd weeks ago. a simple 2.6g AMD with simple 128mb graphics card and 512 kingston. and some kid was sniggering at me "eh so lousy ah your setup."

if it wasn't for the fact that his father was there, I would have told the kid to stuff it up where the sun don't shine.

sickening a-hole.

• SRC Member

:yeah:

darn..you should have told him you got a 42" plasma monitor and a home surround speaker system to play games with you "puny" pc!! oh yeah don;t forget about that secret chipset you've gotten from South Collorado, USA, installed which will boost the AMD to 5.6ghz..the only chipset, limited edition which Bill gates is using too!!..and lastly you shoud've ask tt little bugger if his AMD chip has the serial code !uoy_kcuf123 printed on the chip as tt's the only authentic chip AMD produces, the rest are knockoffs from sweat shops in Sri Lanka, packaged in USA!

Bwilly, Wan to help DIY a PC for me? Want to buy one b4 X'Mas

wah lau.. u dunno my pricing man.

Ah long san ask me to go be his fighter one day I also charge a high premium man.. DIY pc more shiak.

I hate DIY pc for others, ppl tik DIY, usually parts will spoilt easily. not the case if u get branded parts, n stop (read again stop!!) installing crappy n untested virus prone s/w into the pc. This installing of stuff n removing of s/w will render your pc DLL n conflicts in time to come. All the mess up.

So far I DIY my pc, hardware never fail me, except for harddisk. That's a simple task.

As for getting a speed demon for your PC, there's certain fetish. U run things faster, play games more shiok, render video editing in hours (compare to days).

Fast CPU is quite important to me, as I do video editing n rendering, which can take up to half a day for converting 1hour clip.

U can go hardwarezone to check on the price list n then go sim lim ask the ah beng to assemble for u.

I agree. when I worked as a photographer and when I was learning to be one, we had to use major photo editing software that took horribly long on those old warhorses of a P700mhz. bleah..

back to that kid. I just looked at him and smiled and said that "I don't have the luxury of using it. I'm too busy doing something else with a girl than fufilling it over the keyboard."

he gave me the dazed look, his father was talking to goodness knows who, and I continued with my selection.

quite happy with it. my ATA hard-disk slowing it down. but hey. I got it free. so I shan't complain.

and no. don't ask me how I got it free.

depending on where I go, usually I wear sloppy nshow my mickey mouse tattoo. they show me more respect, especially the ah lao ah bengs, when they hear my pure accent hokkien..

* wah.. this fellow typical true patriotic China hokkien, maybe Hong Wah Huai Sect leader *

I got betta deal, CPU AMD 2800 $40 only. dun ask me how.

:yeah:

darn..you should have told him you got a 42" plasma monitor and a home surround speaker system to play games with you "puny" pc!! oh yeah don;t forget about that secret chipset you've gotten from South Collorado, USA, installed which will boost the AMD to 5.6ghz..the only chipset, limited edition which Bill gates is using too!!..and lastly you shoud've ask tt little bugger if his AMD chip has the serial code !uoy_kcuf123 printed on the chip as tt's the only authentic chip AMD produces, the rest are knockoffs from sweat shops in Sri Lanka, packaged in USA!

nah I said something that will probably dawn upon him a few years later when he has hair growing from the wrong places. ;)

there's no reliable shop (most) around.

It all depends on the parts u are buying.

If u paying like $4-500, u expect to get

"lower" end brand stuffs. Reliablity is not there,

expect breakdown/conflict in 1-2years time.

Also update n download of patches going to be

a headache.

Service wise I will says Superpet, but price is not

always the cheapest.

I just got my pc upgraded! :)

P4 2.6

Asus P4P800 deluxe mobo

1gb kingston DDR400 RAM dual channels

420w PSU

Coolermaster Wavemaster casing... my dream casing! :D

wah.. u like have bottomless pocket leh..

U also sell VCD/DVD at MRT station, which one..?

Mine like no biz leh.. haha..!

If u want whole pc with one of the better support,

check out superpet.

www.superpet.com.sg

or I have already told u (did I), check more information

at hardware zone. they have some reviews on each

individual motherboard, harddisk, graphic cards, monitor,

cpu to help u shortlist which part to get.

• SRC Member

we have 10gb of ram in our lab coms to render images. what takes 1 day takes about half an hour. My com recently had to ditch. need something more powerful to be the head of my audio workstation. its like a species com . powerful in 1 aspect crap in all the rest. but it gets me what i need. :P .

like they said. get what u need . dont bother abt anyone else