LR arrangements

• SRC Member

HI!!!! currently in the process of cycling my tank..

would like to have some comments on the arrangement of the LR...

can it be improved?

is it enough?

do i need to buy more???

post-16223-1239392863.jpg

post-16223-1239392892.jpg

My Decomissioned 2ft Cube: (31st March 2011)

Carpe Diem~!!!

My Current 4ft X 2ft X 2ft:

• SRC Member
Bigger pieces of live rocks will be more flexible to arrange. :D Looks nice though. :D

yaaaaa... i realise that after i set everything up.. haha... i've got alot of small pieces which tend to tumble easily if i accidently hit it if i wanted to re-arrange anything... issit necessary to buy the "rock glue"???

initially i thought getting small live rocks would allow me to be more flexible and creative, but... i guess big ones would be better now...

Carpe Diem~!!!

• SRC Member

it would also look great if u can make overhangs for fishes to swim through ^_^

Best Regards,

Morpheous

==========================================================================================

My Ocean Pets:

Emperor Angel, PowderBlue Tang, Regal Angel, Teardrop Butterfly, Singapore Angel and Nemos

==========================================================================================

(Only when you guard your lips, you guard your soul....)

it would also look great if u can make overhangs for fishes to swim through ^_^

your rocks look like dead rocks to me. correct me if im wrong. and if u wanna add in LR now might risk a nitrite spike, which may also risk causing death of your clownfish. can consider adding dead rocks though. dont think u need to glue them up cause next time if u wanna add in coral or anything u can rescape your rocks again.

just my 2cents :eyebrow:

• SRC Member
your rocks look like dead rocks to me. correct me if im wrong. and if u wanna add in LR now might risk a nitrite spike, which may also risk causing death of your clownfish. can consider adding dead rocks though. dont think u need to glue them up cause next time if u wanna add in coral or anything u can rescape your rocks again.

just my 2cents :eyebrow:

how do i tell the difference between LR and dead rock??? i bought my LR from various LFS... is there any way that i can buy LR that is already "cultivated"??? need lots of help here... thanks alot (:

*anyway, that is the one and only clownfish in my tank, not planning to introduce anymore LS anytime soon yet until my water stablized.....

Carpe Diem~!!!

how do i tell the difference between LR and dead rock??? i bought my LR from various LFS... is there any way that i can buy LR that is already "cultivated"??? need lots of help here... thanks alot (:

*anyway, that is the one and only clownfish in my tank, not planning to introduce anymore LS anytime soon yet until my water stablized.....

You can get good LR from SL and the farms in Pasir Ris...

I guess visually, LR is more 'colouful' mottled with pink, white, brown..

Just need to get 2-3 large pieces of rocks as your base and then insert all the gaps or stack with your smaller pieces.

• SRC Member
You can get good LR from SL and the farms in Pasir Ris...

I guess visually, LR is more 'colouful' mottled with pink, white, brown..

Just need to get 2-3 large pieces of rocks as your base and then insert all the gaps or stack with your smaller pieces.

some of my rocks are turning abit red... and there's this rock that turned entirely PURPLE! its normal right?? haha... so LR is suppose to be "colourful" and it should have a softer texture???

how to i make these rocks more "colourful"? give it more direct sunlight? or my tank's lighting would be just enough....

Carpe Diem~!!!

some of my rocks are turning abit red... and there's this rock that turned entirely PURPLE! its normal right?? haha... so LR is suppose to be "colourful" and it should have a softer texture???

how to i make these rocks more "colourful"? give it more direct sunlight? or my tank's lighting would be just enough....

Actually what makes LR more 'useful' is not what's visible but the bacteria living..

:on the rock surface (aerobic bacteria that breaks down ammonia & nitrite into nitrates) and

:inside the rocks (anaerobic bacteria that break down nitrate into harmless nitrogen gas)..

These bacteria will grow and multiply in dead rocks but will take a much longer time..

Don't be too concerned with the colors for now... it will come in the form of nuisance red and green algae... later on when your tank is stable and with sufficient calcium.. pink coralline algae will grow.

• SRC Member

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

redone the whole thing today....

COMMENTS! (:

too many LR? or just nice??

juz nice lio... but you must also remember that most coral comes with Liverock attached. So, try to make room for that too. Happy Reefing! :lol:

Reefing since 2003
 4ft x 2ft x 2ft Mixed Reef (BB):-
50 Gal Sump,

Apex Controlled System (Lab grade),
Deltec SC1455 Protein Skimmer,
Vortech MP40wQD,

Jebao RW-15

Maxspect Razor 320w
Eheim 1260 Return Pump,
Hailea HS-66A 1/4HP chiller,
TLF Reactor 150, running HydroCarbon 

• SRC Member
juz nice lio... but you must also remember that most coral comes with Liverock attached. So, try to make room for that too. Happy Reefing! :lol:

i found a starfish together with my live rock.. can it survive on a new tank which i'm still cycling..

and, how do i tell if the starfish is dead??

anyway thanks for the advice.. will take note of that... :)

Carpe Diem~!!!

• SRC Member

My personal opinion, your new scape looked unnatural. Don't listen too much to what others say, including me. As long as you like the look, it's fine.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member
My personal opinion, your new scape looked unnatural. Don't listen too much to what others say, including me. As long as you like the look, it's fine.

ok.. noted! thanks!! i think there's too much rock in my tank... its only 2feet.. haha...

Carpe Diem~!!!

• SRC Member

According to this website:

http://joejaworski.wordpress.com/2008/01/17/aquascaping/

where the logic of two-thirds and one-thirds of the tank and the key focus being off to one side is great. I tried re-scaping with this idea and I think the water flow is better. Your arrangement of a invert-U is simple and effective but the fishes will like having caves/overhangs and hiding places so a invert-U may not be the best.

Like what others say, as long as you feel great about it, just go ahead first. as you buy more corals and stuff, these comes with "live rock" too, they will add to your collection. Then if have to rearrange then rearrange again. Cheers. Happy Reefing!

• SRC Member
According to this website:

http://joejaworski.wordpress.com/2008/01/17/aquascaping/

where the logic of two-thirds and one-thirds of the tank and the key focus being off to one side is great. I tried re-scaping with this idea and I think the water flow is better. Your arrangement of a invert-U is simple and effective but the fishes will like having caves/overhangs and hiding places so a invert-U may not be the best.

Like what others say, as long as you feel great about it, just go ahead first. as you buy more corals and stuff, these comes with "live rock" too, they will add to your collection. Then if have to rearrange then rearrange again. Cheers. Happy Reefing!

how can i do caves/overhangs?? any pictures??? anyway, i finally know the difference, and i thought all rocks are LR... i went to the farm ystd to purchase abt 2kg of LR with lots of algae on it... the rest of the rocks in my tank were purchased from various LFS and they're so plain... to think i thought those were LR... *feels cheated* haha.....

Carpe Diem~!!!

redone the whole thing today....

COMMENTS! (:

too many LR? or just nice??

This "C" shape looks very strange. Play around and you will get a hang of it. Try to get those big ones. Your existing ones are too small and when you stack up like that, will topple. May be you see those members already setup and post in SRC and get some ideas from there.

Member of :
post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F

MASS in Facebook

Reefing in LED

• SRC Member

to build a rock structure you need to think of what corals you going to keep.

keep this in mind, the corals you going to brought also comes with rocks.

the structure you are creating now might look nice, however when the corals are added it might look crowed.

try not to place rocks against the glass leave some gaps if you need some help can pm me..

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

• SRC Member
how can i do caves/overhangs?? any pictures??? anyway, i finally know the difference, and i thought all rocks are LR... i went to the farm ystd to purchase abt 2kg of LR with lots of algae on it... the rest of the rocks in my tank were purchased from various LFS and they're so plain... to think i thought those were LR... *feels cheated* haha.....

You can check out some of the pros here at members' tanks and specs on how they arrange their LRs.

Or you can get some inspiration from reef central or nano reef.

hmm...LRs with algae may not be a good thing

I think Reborn has quite a lot of LRs from recent bali shipment and occasionally golden octopussy has some very nice LRs.

But anyway, coraline algae can be cultivated when you dose calcium and calcium buffer.

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member
You can check out some of the pros here at members' tanks and specs on how they arrange their LRs.

Or you can get some inspiration from reef central or nano reef.

hmm...LRs with algae may not be a good thing

I think Reborn has quite a lot of LRs from recent bali shipment and occasionally golden octopussy has some very nice LRs.

But anyway, coraline algae can be cultivated when you dose calcium and calcium buffer.

hmmm.. ok.. noted... thanks for the advice!!! :D

Carpe Diem~!!!