Desi & Ketchup 4x2.5x2 tank

desideria

don't despair bro & sis.

such incidents happen - non feeding fish.

There is always an element of risk with a new purchase and more so for a non feeding specimen.

hope he pull through though.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

I am thinking of euthanising the fish tonight if I go home and I see him on the sand bed and barely alive... cause last night and this morning he was swimming but in a slightly "slanted" manner near the sand bed...

if this evening, I see just as bad or even worse, i'd try to fish him out and plonk him in a pail of ice to end his misery. :(

I see also I just want to bang my head against the glass.

:eyeblur:

thanks for the words of encouragement and advice.

Desi :shock:

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

• SRC Member
:( very sad.. The PBRT really looks bad.. :( the head and body seems to have leisons and it's totally not eating anything.. Day 10 and the stomach is sunken in already.

I turned off everything, threw in 2 mysis cubes and some henry's food mixed with garlic guard etc... and the food fell around him but he didn't even touch it.

I am thinking of removing him but I think if I move him to the sump and if I try to catch him with a net he may get even more stressed.. but leaving him in there, the fish don't really disturb him except the occasional chase by the PBT and YT...

there's nothing more we can do I suppose.. I personally give him another 24-48 hours tops.

sigh... sad...

:cry2::cry2::cry2::cry2:

Desi

you've tried your best ... and yeah if will be hard to catch just let him be silent on his own, will be more stressed ... i still hope a miracle happens :angel:

25 Gal Micro Ocean

don't despair bro & sis.

such incidents happen - non feeding fish.

There is always an element of risk with a new purchase and more so for a non feeding specimen.

hope he pull through though.

Once bought a Queen angel.....stubbon fellow, no matter what food I put in, it just refused to eat....

Very sad to see him wither over one month and finally died from starvation :cry2:

Hey Desi,

do you still have the fine plastic mesh from hardware shops?

I need a 30 cm x 40 cm dimension to spare?

Jacky

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member
Hey Desi,

do you still have the fine plastic mesh from hardware shops?

I need a 30 cm x 40 cm dimension to spare?

Jacky

I used up one whole lot yesterday when changing my purigen.. however I think I have enough to fit your requirements, remind me on thursday to bring it for our Friday meet up. :)

:rolleyes: Desi.

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

• SRC Member

Dear Desi,

We can understand how you feel. It's always a stressful thing to see a fish dying slowly from starvation in your tank despite ways to get it feed. You've already done your best. Buying a non-feeding fish from LFS always carry this risk. One way is to buy from LFS that let you see if the fish is feeding first.

At least i can see that you've feeling for the fish. Sad that there're some reefers that treat fishes like lifeless toys and don't give a damn or feel a thing when the fish die. They simply throw it away and buy another piece to replace. Euthanising the fish is one way to shorten the pain and suffering of the fish, but it's also quite sad and painful for the owner to administer.

The bright side is you are able to keep a PBT well and alive while some of us can't. Keep it up!

• SRC Member
I used up one whole lot yesterday when changing my purigen.. however I think I have enough to fit your requirements, remind me on thursday to bring it for our Friday meet up. :)

:rolleyes: Desi.

Hey reefing couple...dun be sad...sometimes it's beyond us...fishes have personalities also...tomorrow will be a better day

Btw, how's yr review on using purigen? does it work well? :thanks:

l7304smr.jpg

Hey desi, ketchup.

Sorry to hear about the PBrT. If u hve another spare tank, maybe u can try to fish it out and keep it there for a few more days. And hope for a miracle.

You guys tried it best by providing the best for it.

All the best and hoping for a miracle.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open.

I am thinking of euthanising the fish tonight if I go home and I see him on the sand bed and barely alive... cause last night and this morning he was swimming but in a slightly "slanted" manner near the sand bed...

if this evening, I see just as bad or even worse, i'd try to fish him out and plonk him in a pail of ice to end his misery. :(

I see also I just want to bang my head against the glass.

:eyeblur:

thanks for the words of encouragement and advice.

Desi :shock:

Euthanising the fish will be the most humane way to go sis. In my opinion you are probably doing the poor fish a big favour. Most of us have our fair share of witnessing our favourite fish waste away before our very eyes.

I strongly advise you to fish him out before he goes to some difficult to reach corner and died. I recently had a 4 inches Sohal Tang (with me for over a year) going mia somewhere inside my rockscape. Like you I was hoping for a miracle therefore did not fish him out when I had the chance. Lucky for me, my tank is mature enough to handle the nutrient spike.

Anyway, there are still many fishes out there for you to love. Go get them girl ...

• SRC Member

I have yet to do the deed of putting him down.... he is still swimming a bit.. have gone to a corner at the back near the overflow side from the opposite side of the tank where he was at for the last 3-4 days..It is a quiet corner surrounded by rocks... even he dies there, I'd be able to fish out the body.. and sometimes i feel as though he is at the VERGE of pecking at the algae growing on the overflow glass.. but ... disappoinment. :(

Even if we transfer him to the sump.... I doubt it will help much. Just stressing him out again my netting him.. if I am gonna net him it's going to be straight to the ice pail. :eyeblur:

On one hand i want to euthanise him to put him out of his misery ( if I am percieving it right)... on the other hand.. WHAT IF... WHAT IF.....It is Day 12 and nothing... HOW long can a fish survive without food?! What should be my breaking point... haiz... the ever unanswerable question...

ARUGH!!! Venting.. venting.....

:paiseh:

Desi

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Fish anorexic are some of the most frequent problem faced by us marine aquarist, however most of the time, we can't do anything. Sunken stomach, forhead and body usually means is a goner for the fish and its hard to fatten up a fish that is suffering from malnutrition.

In addition, PBRT comes from Philippine where cynide are most frequently used so many of the fishes from there do not last long or dun fair well.

There is only so much we can do

1)choose a fish that is already eating in the lfs especially if they are the finicky kind

2)try not to purchase fishes that comes from philippines unless they start changing their handling and collection method

3)start feeding finicky fishes with meaty or frozen food

4)finicky or shy fishes may need dither fishes to 'teach' them how to feed on prepared food

5)flood tank with food to encourage feeding frenzy

Anyway you can still try PBRT as they are the easier powder species of tangs ard :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

Been a bit since we updated... well the PBRT is still alive and swimming ... now in the sump.. sad.gif Haiz... the odd thing is that now our entire tank is having an Itch outbreak ( the tangs and wrasses all have it) except for the anthias, clown fishes AND ironically.. the POwder brown which has not eaten the past 15 days.... this is a pic of it in the sump.. today was my last last last attempt to make it eat by buying the green grape algae.. and yet.. not even a nibble... So.. officialy now I have tried, brine, mysis, pellets ( form 1 and 2 ocean nutrition, Dr Basselers forte and grotech), flakes ( Dr basslers ANd Form 2 spirulina flakes), Live Brine shrimp, henry's gourmet , own own fish blend, red bamboo...

post-12571-12697023567733_thumb.jpgpost-12571-12697023731488_thumb.jpg

Here's pics of the yumas we got from Irwarna.. they are rather small...

post-12571-1269702421947_thumb.jpgpost-12571-12697028300407_thumb.jpgpost-12571-12697028640968_thumb.jpg

PIcs of the 2 ( yes only 2!)RICS we got from GO.... I don't think I posted these... the extreme left is the orange one from their recent shipment and the middle blue/turqoise one from their older shipment

post-12571-12697025089807_thumb.jpg

Zoos we got from Irwarna :

post-12571-12697025364894_thumb.jpgpost-12571-12697025443874_thumb.jpg

And here's a pic of the birdnest we got from Ming under atinics... I think the previous pic was under MH.

post-12571-12697025558502_thumb.jpg

holding back buying anymore livestock until the tank stabalizes.... just did about 100-120L waterchange today and dosed all the bacteria etc. Been turning on the UV 24/7 the past 3 days but turned it off after the bacteria went in.. will turn it back on again tomorrow night before bed...

A special thanks to Cedric for letting me, Ketchup and Justin invade your place to go GAGA at your legendary setup.. correction.. SETUPS.... indeed.. WOW..bowdown.gif

Cheers, Desi.

Cheers, ;)

Desi

• SRC Member

Thanks Jacky for collecting the filter socks and for peter to organise the mass buy.. I have installed them in the tank and attached one to the overflow output ( removed all the sponge from there.. the box looks incredibly empty now!) and another one to the output of my skimmer. smile.gif

Day 2 and the overflow one is already getting slightly brown... smile.gif

post-12571-12697032883926_thumb.jpg

post-12571-12697032969922_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Desirolleyes.gif

Cheers, ;)

Desi

• SRC Member

have you tried seaweed for ur powder brown? those japanese seaweed we eat for sushi.. because when my dad first got his powder blue, it doesnt take anything except the japanese seaweed too.. now its slowly taking frozen brine and stuffs..

• SRC Member

have you tried seaweed for ur powder brown? those japanese seaweed we eat for sushi.. because when my dad first got his powder blue, it doesnt take anything except the japanese seaweed too.. now its slowly taking frozen brine and stuffs..

Yup I forgot to ADD : I tried seaweed already.... MANY TIMES.. even the seaweed FLAKES.. I added it in my daily feeding ritual of frozen food mixed with garlic guard.. and did it eat? not a shred.... oh well.... I tried!

Cheers, ;)

Desi

• SRC Member

Yup I forgot to ADD : I tried seaweed already.... MANY TIMES.. even the seaweed FLAKES.. I added it in my daily feeding ritual of frozen food mixed with garlic guard.. and did it eat? not a shred.... oh well.... I tried!

ahh ic.. oh well.. you've tried.. its up to the powder brown now.. i hope he manages to pull thru.. :)

Been a bit since we updated... well the PBRT is still alive and swimming ... now in the sump.. sad.gif Haiz... the odd thing is that now our entire tank is having an Itch outbreak ( the tangs and wrasses all have it) except for the anthias, clown fishes AND ironically.. the POwder brown which has not eaten the past 15 days.... this is a pic of it in the sump.. today was my last last last attempt to make it eat by buying the green grape algae.. and yet.. not even a nibble... So.. officialy now I have tried, brine, mysis, pellets ( form 1 and 2 ocean nutrition, Dr Basselers forte and grotech), flakes ( Dr basslers ANd Form 2 spirulina flakes), Live Brine shrimp, henry's gourmet , own own fish blend, red bamboo...

post-12571-12697023567733_thumb.jpgpost-12571-12697023731488_thumb.jpg

Here's pics of the yumas we got from Irwarna.. they are rather small...

post-12571-1269702421947_thumb.jpgpost-12571-12697028300407_thumb.jpgpost-12571-12697028640968_thumb.jpg

PIcs of the 2 ( yes only 2!)RICS we got from GO.... I don't think I posted these... the extreme left is the orange one from their recent shipment and the middle blue/turqoise one from their older shipment

post-12571-12697025089807_thumb.jpg

Zoos we got from Irwarna :

post-12571-12697025364894_thumb.jpgpost-12571-12697025443874_thumb.jpg

And here's a pic of the birdnest we got from Ming under atinics... I think the previous pic was under MH.

post-12571-12697025558502_thumb.jpg

holding back buying anymore livestock until the tank stabalizes.... just did about 100-120L waterchange today and dosed all the bacteria etc. Been turning on the UV 24/7 the past 3 days but turned it off after the bacteria went in.. will turn it back on again tomorrow night before bed...

A special thanks to Cedric for letting me, Ketchup and Justin invade your place to go GAGA at your legendary setup.. correction.. SETUPS.... indeed.. WOW..bowdown.gif

Cheers, Desi.

Desi, it's been a fun time having you guys over and i really mean FUN ! Your presence certainly makes the whole session so lively...so i now know that it's the wife that's has gotten the hubby's support and not the other way i initially tot, lol.

Treat others the way you wanna be treated...

• SRC Member

new tank with new tangs will usually result in ich outbreak.....last time i added an AT to my tank which was less than 6 mths old, end up kena ich, died, n took 9 other fishes with it......from that day on, i learnt my lesson....

• SRC Member

Desi, it's been a fun time having you guys over and i really mean FUN ! Your presence certainly makes the whole session so lively...so i now know that it's the wife that's has gotten the hubby's support and not the other way i initially tot, lol.

Haha... cedric... i like also la... but let her go more crazy better... :)

• SRC Member

We noticed there are some... we thought are eggs on the glass today...... any idea what they could be? I found another bunch the other side at the other side but I wiped them off... I thought they are snail's eggs.. but are they?

post-12571-12697878162593_thumb.jpg

Some pics ketchup took today!

The SUPER SUNNIES

post-12571-12697879593375_thumb.jpg

The Sea pig yaya-ing near the elegance. wink.gif

post-12571-12697879777228_thumb.jpgpost-12571-12697880362505_thumb.jpg

THe Rics at the back of the tank.

post-12571-12697881014861_thumb.jpg

THe new lobo under atinics. smile.gif

post-12571-12697881413954_thumb.jpg

Cheers, ;)

Desi