my 2ft tank

regularguy

• SRC Member
[150watt for a 15 gallon tank? thats 10watt per gallon! wah you thinking of putting SPS in your tank. Normaly even SPS dont use so much. Think even those SPS reefers use like 400 watt for a 3 footer which has like more than 4 time the volume of a 2x1x1 tank.

Normally the rule of thumb is to use between 3-5watt per gallon of water. As it is very hard to determin brightness without photo equipement. So normally use watt as a guide. Unless you are keeping light demanding corals like SPS etc... the above rule would be ok. So a 15gallon tank requires roughly 45 - 75watt of lighting.

The lighting will change with height too. The higher the water, the less light penetrate so the more light you need.

:thanks:

• SRC Member
Hi regular guy,

Are you using a canister for your filtration? or a sump tank? :heh:

i don't have a sump.

my filtration consist of:

biological: DSB and liverocks

chemical: rowaphos packed in a small bag in canister

mechanical: internal overflow system with cotton

hope that answer your questions ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

I deal watts per gallon is not 3 watts!!! 3-5 watts per gallon is low to moderate However the watts per gallon rule only applies to Normal Output Fluorescent Lamps. Powercompacts give off light 3+ times the intensity of NO lamps. Thus if you have 32 watts it is equivalent to having 32 x 3+ watts of light. However that rule IMO is crap. Don't work. Nice tank but BOOOO.... On the tang! 2 marron clowns in a 2 ft already and so many other fishes??? HArd to maintain water param stability. Tang will outgrow your tank and It need lots of swimming space even if it's small. When getting fishes, you should not look at it's present size, but consider how big it can grow to and how much space it requires. I notice that you ppl are not too skeptical. Or maybe a bit "bo chap". Your attitude will be your Livestock's Undoing.

Sorry if I come off a bit harsh but I mean your Livestock well.

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member

haha no lah I just wouldn't like to see fishes die becuz of ppl's ignorance. Fierce meh? sorry lah. didn't mean it that way. haha

but seriously should upgrade. Think maybe 5ft can keep lah.

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member

don't you think it's hard to argue how much space the blue tang needs to swim?

anybody can have a 5 feet tank but do you think that tang in the 5 feet tank would rather be swimming out in the ocean?

regardless of what anybody may say, the matter of the fact is our fishes are all in captive and i don't know of anything that enjoys being in that. we are all to a certain extent, guilty of wanting a part of the coral reef in our home but i am sure someone else would accuse us of destroying the reef even though polution is the main cause. by the way, how are we going to argue with that?

• SRC Member

Me thinks your tank is cool.. So long as you feel that it is doing pretty okie in there.. then guess it should be fine... just take the "advise" or "pointers" here with a pinch of salt... no need to go whole hog in the posts.... no matter what you do.. there will always be someone saying that you should do this better or do that.. I just listen to what I wanna and the rest... I just filter out... :D

• SRC Member

Trust me on this. Blue tangs like to swim across large areas. yes I do agree that all fishes would rather be out in the ocean. But since we are keeping them, might as well provide them with as much space as we can to ensure it's health. I'm not talking about emotional health here. Just physical. Blue tangs(even small ones) need large spaces to swim around and and not constricted in a small 2ft tank. I would say an average adult blue tang would need at least a 70 gallons tank to provide it with adequate space for it's activities. Besides plenty of room to swim, it also need hiding spaces in liverocks etc. Without a sufficiently large aquarium, one cannot provide such conditions for a blue tang. You should do some research before you buy any fish otherwise you might just be wasting your money and/or destroying some fish's life. A blue tang will never be happy in a 2ft tank. maybe when it's VERY small like the diameter of a 50cents coin, it MIGHT be able to sustain. But it will outgrow your tank in no time. I do not understand why Benz and you have such an attitude towards reefeing. We want to provide optimal conditions for our inhabitants to thrive and be happy in. But seems to me like all you want is for you to be pleased and not care abt your fish's needs. I do not mean to be offending or harsh, but I just want to inform you about your fish's requirements and hope you would give it better living space, return it to the LFS or something. Oh and btw, if i were a fish, I wouldn't mind, actually I'd love to be in a BIIG captive tank. with the care of a good experienced reefer of course. And to end off, I think you could do a search on blue tangs on any search engine and all the sites would tell you that blue tangs need a lot of space to swim. I'm no purist but I'm just trying to tell you what I think you should do. Take heed or not, it's up to you.

I think most experienced reefer would agree with my thoughts.

Sorry if my post(s) offend anyone. No offense intended. Just trying to help. ;)

<_<

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member

ryz...

Firstly and most foremost.. unless you know me.. I would suggest that you reserve your judgement on how my reefing method are... I happen to love fishes very much and have given them (or rather those in me tank) the best that there is out there.... Now as this being a forum and all that.. we can always comment on one another and advise accordingly.. but unless you are the world's forefront scientist or the expert on reefing... do not be what I call "pot calling the kettle black".... it is very unbecoming... We are all here to have fun and to reef... Now althought I agree with you that tangs need space to swim... how would you or I or even anyone know that the tang in bro regularguy's tank is unhappy... Do you talk fish language??? We can advise but do lay off the heavy hitting comments as it is not constructive and can be counter productive... Not everyone can afford to have a 5ft tank.. So just let them be... besides if you believe in karma.. when the fish dies it goes to heaven and swim in the heavenly reef tank... now wouldn't that be much better??? <_<

• SRC Member

AS I said, I didn't mean no harm by my posts, I was merely stating what I feel and am not imposing anything on anyone. The blue tang MIGHT be happy now, but not for long. If my post sounded offended or a bit harsh I apologise.... ONCE AGAIN... and I can only say I meant well. Just stating my opinion. No need to get pushy. Hope you would lay off a little. Didn't mean it that way. RElax lah.

Live and Let Live

Hey guys .. why get so worked up . you post your pic and you of course want ppl to give comments.. right . RZy is not wanting to say bad about you or something .. I amm not sidding him but i think the same way as wat he says about the blue tang . Hey Benz... hope you are not sidding anyone here .. okiee . I am just saying out my feelings for myself .. THANKS

• SRC Member

frankly speaking

even if we put the tang or whatever fish even in a tank as big as 100ft .i think it will rather stay in the big sea although it need to fight for its life or food

what can we do is just can provide its basic need"Food"

i never believe that :D we can duplicate nature ~~~~to 100%

kekeke

the blue tang so tiny, never mind 1 lah. i got 4 tiny 1s in my 2 feet also.

Wahaha..you even better..what you intending to do with them once they grow big? Oh yes..they won't...you will only end up with one blue tang.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/