A New Community...

Nitro

• SRC Member

This is the sump / refugium... going to give a brief run-through on what each compartment is for and why being made such a way.

The overall view of the sump/refugium.

post-1330-1265301132_thumb.jpg

1st compartment. This is where the out flow of the main tank will be at. Compartment made in such a way is to prevent splashes (filter sponge will be place at the top edge) and also to keep it shallow for easy access when cleaning is require.

post-1330-1265301104_thumb.jpg

2nd compartment is where the refugium will be at, full aragonite and live sand plus cheatos.

3rd compartment. This is made this way bcuz these 3 panels are used to prevent splashes as the water flows from the refugium to the last compartment. This helps to reduce bubbles created and thus, further reducing the bubbles being suck into the return pumps.

post-1330-1265301110_thumb.jpg

Last compartment. This is where the skimmer, return pumps and service pumps will be at.

post-1330-1265301117_thumb.jpg

• SRC Member
This is the sump / refugium... going to give a brief run-through on what each compartment is for and why being made such a way.

The overall view of the sump/refugium.

post-1330-1265301132_thumb.jpg

1st compartment. This is where the out flow of the main tank will be at. Compartment made in such a way is to prevent splashes (filter sponge will be place at the top edge) and also to keep it shallow for easy access when cleaning is require.

post-1330-1265301104_thumb.jpg

2nd compartment is where the refugium will be at, full aragonite and live sand plus cheatos.

3rd compartment. This is made this way bcuz these 3 panels are used to prevent splashes as the water flows from the refugium to the last compartment. This helps to reduce bubbles created and thus, further reducing the bubbles being suck into the return pumps.

post-1330-1265301110_thumb.jpg

Last compartment. This is where the skimmer, return pumps and service pumps will be at.

post-1330-1265301117_thumb.jpg

what skimmer will u be using? cos some skimmer will produce micro bubbles at the output.

• SRC Member

what skimmer will u be using? cos some skimmer will produce micro bubbles at the output.

Bro, u didn't read the introductory post on this thread ah :erm: Am using a H&S skimmer. Will put a net at the skimmer's outlet to prevent splashes.

Hi Nitro, I'm in the midst of setting up a 4x2x2 as well. From what I understand, the flowrate should ideally be 10x of the overall volume therefore your 2xAB2000 might not be enough....I think. I'm planning for 1xAB7000 but still in two minds if I should do 2xEheim1262 instead or not since I have AB needlewheel pump failed on me before. The next concern for me is the power consumption, AB consume less energy but Eheim is definitely reliable. Its a neverending headache!

Wish you all the best in your setup :)

Hi, based on my calculation it seems to be enough. My overall water vol in main and refugium is abt 700 ltr after minus all the rocks etc. Each pump handles 2000 l/hr. 2 pumps will be 4000 l/hr. After minus all the pipe-lose and head-lose, let's put it at ard 500 l, I'll still have a return of 3500 l/hr. If I'm not wrong, based on my outflow pipe size of 2x 25mm piping and 8x 20mm openings at the EOS, the flow rate for the outlet of the main tank shd be ard 400-500 l/hr if pumps are running.

If my calculation got error, pls highlight to me so I can make the changes before filling up the tank. Thanks Divinesloth!

Why all the venom? Reefing is just a hobby, dude.

• SRC Member
Hi Nitro, I'm in the midst of setting up a 4x2x2 as well. From what I understand, the flowrate should ideally be 10x of the overall volume therefore your 2xAB2000 might not be enough....I think. I'm planning for 1xAB7000 but still in two minds if I should do 2xEheim1262 instead or not since I have AB needlewheel pump failed on me before. The next concern for me is the power consumption, AB consume less energy but Eheim is definitely reliable. Its a neverending headache!

Wish you all the best in your setup :)

Ok, noted your points. Will monitor this and replace the pumps if need be. It'll be easy to replace them cuz with this upgrade, almost everything is made to be easily replace and remove.

Agreed with you that AB consumed less current and Eheim consumes more but are long lasting. Had heard abt AB needlewheel breaking up after sometimes if used as return pump but the 2 that I'm using is not the needlewheel impeller, it's the normal type.

• SRC Member

For all who wants to know who is the tank maker and cabinet...

Main and refugium tank is by ALANTIC GLASS.

Cabinet is by Sean from I-aquatic.

Delivery is by SG Bros for the cabinet.

All 3 company is very responsible and reliable.

• SRC Member
For all who wants to know who is the tank maker and cabinet...

Main and refugium tank is by ALANTIC GLASS.

Cabinet is by Sean from I-aquatic.

Delivery is by SG Bros for the cabinet.

All 3 company is very responsible and reliable.

think i saw yr sump tank at atlantic glass everytime i go to GO.

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member
Will you be leaving the external overflow compartment as it is? Its standing out quite clearly from the blue background... if you used black background instead, it would blend in better. Just a thought.

Will be leaving it as it is. Planned to cover the front view of this portion with rock works. Hope to achieve a "drop-off" like effect with the right side of the tank being empty as much as possible to create the deeper water effect.

Taking my own sweet time to install the pipes. Think will most likely commissioned after CNY.

• SRC Member

Bro Nitro, can share with us the advantages of using the EOS than those usual built-in type? It does seems like a better idea as it gives more space to the main tank and less ugly too. In case of leak somewhere at the pipes, EOS seems easier to rectify.

• SRC Member
Bro Nitro, can share with us the advantages of using the EOS than those usual built-in type? It does seems like a better idea as it gives more space to the main tank and less ugly too. In case of leak somewhere at the pipes, EOS seems easier to rectify.

u already found the ans.........

Hi, based on my calculation it seems to be enough. My overall water vol in main and refugium is abt 700 ltr after minus all the rocks etc. Each pump handles 2000 l/hr. 2 pumps will be 4000 l/hr. After minus all the pipe-lose and head-lose, let's put it at ard 500 l, I'll still have a return of 3500 l/hr. If I'm not wrong, based on my outflow pipe size of 2x 25mm piping and 8x 20mm openings at the EOS, the flow rate for the outlet of the main tank shd be ard 400-500 l/hr if pumps are running.

If my calculation got error, pls highlight to me so I can make the changes before filling up the tank. Thanks Divinesloth!

Hi Nitro, 2 x AB2000 seems adequate in calculation, but, IMO, you will have have to use wavemaking products for the dead spots.

Im using 1 x AB2000 for a 2x1x1 tank, its good enough to ignore the usage of any wavemaker.

my 2 cent worth...

Ten

• SRC Member

u already found the ans.........

:rolleyes: thanks for replying on my behalf... that's rite!

To have more space and easy access to the overflow compartment and since it's not a full height overflow compartment, def make it easy to install pipes and replace filter wool if any.

• SRC Member
Hi Nitro, 2 x AB2000 seems adequate in calculation, but, IMO, you will have have to use wavemaking products for the dead spots.

Im using 1 x AB2000 for a 2x1x1 tank, its good enough to ignore the usage of any wavemaker.

my 2 cent worth...

Ten

Oh I do have a wavebox nano from my existing tank which I'll be using and already in the plans to get a wavebox extension.

• SRC Member
:rolleyes: thanks for replying on my behalf... that's rite!

To have more space and easy access to the overflow compartment and since it's not a full height overflow compartment, def make it easy to install pipes and replace filter wool if any.

Oh, thanks. Thought there were other advantages. But definitely worth considering if i were to do a new tank in future.

• SRC Member
very nice birds!

my dad will love them if he sees these pics!

ah... so you're saying "I've got nice birds" eh... :lol:

Hmmm looks like there are a handful of bird lovers in SRC. BTW, 1 of the finches lay eggs again. Really easy to keep and breed if given the rite care.

for adoption....hehe

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

ah... so you're saying "I've got nice birds" eh... :lol:

Hmmm looks like there are a handful of bird lovers in SRC. BTW, 1 of the finches lay eggs again. Really easy to keep and breed if given the rite care.

Hi Nimrod,

Were the eggs fertilized? My pairs used to lays eggs but they were either not fertilized or the brooding duration were in-sufficient - parents are easily spooked into giving up brooding.

Hope you will have better luck! Do keep me posted! ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member
Hi Nimrod,

Were the eggs fertilized? My pairs used to lays eggs but they were either not fertilized or the brooding duration were in-sufficient - parents are easily spooked into giving up brooding.

Hope you will have better luck! Do keep me posted! ;)

Not sure but 1 egg was broken. Think they accidentally pushed it out of the nest.

• SRC Member

Bought all salt mix and substrates for the settin up over the CNY holidays :eyebrow:

post-1330-1266251270_thumb.jpg

Will be using my existing sand in my 2 footer (+ sand in refugium) and 1.5 footer for the substrate in the new main tank. The new refugium will be filled up with new sand from Carib Seas Ocean Direct "Live" and Carib Seas Aragonite sand. There is also a small pkt of Carib Seas Geo-Marine crushed corals. Total of 2 pkt of 40lbs Aragonite sand, 1 pkt of Ocean Direct Live and 10lbs of crushed corals.

post-1330-1266251281_thumb.jpg

Trying out this brand of salt mix from Brightwell Aquatics. Will be mixing it with Tropic Marine Pro-reef.

post-1330-1266251286_thumb.jpg

Will be using this as a start-up bacteria for the new tank.

post-1330-1266251292_thumb.jpg

Bought all salt mix and substrates for the settin up over the CNY holidays :eyebrow:

Will be using my existing sand in my 2 footer (+ sand in refugium) and 1.5 footer for the substrate in the new main tank. The new refugium will be filled up with new sand from Carib Seas Ocean Direct "Live" and Carib Seas Aragonite sand. There is also a small pkt of Carib Seas Geo-Marine crushed corals. Total of 2 pkt of 40lbs Aragonite sand, 1 pkt of Ocean Direct Live and 10lbs of crushed corals.

Trying out this brand of salt mix from Brightwell Aquatics. Will be mixing it with Tropic Marine Pro-reef.

Hi bro, all the best to ur new set-up tank! Enjoy every moment of it..... :rolleyes:

Tank Size: 3 x 3 x 2 with 3.5ft cabinet

Brillant stuff! :D

HUAT HUAT Reefing,

Marc J.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.