Lemon's butterflyfish dominated reef

yikai

• Senior Reefer

Bro ask u a question ... how the hell u manage to post 12352 times lol. Nice new additions btw~

not difficult.

and yes like digiman say, on average, 17 times a day.

a few times in the hybrid thread, lfs update, my own thread, chit chat here and there, plus i'm a moderator so i post in the hidden moderator forum.

17/ day is not that hard to achieve.

He has joined for almost two years, which is about 730 days. So on average he has to make an average of 17 posts everyday, not overly difficult since he's a moderator and is v active in our forum!

yes. correct.

Your tank is gorgeous.

Thanks for sharing.

thanks for the great compliment. it's still a young tank and very new so lots of growing to do.

bro, your tank is awesome!!! :thumbsup:

thanks james! coming back soon? :)

Awesome tank with some beautiful SPS... :welldone:

thanks bro.

you have a gorgeous tank too and your SPS far surpass my humble collection. nothing rare in my tank. just stuff i like to add colour and shape. that's all.

*whistle whistle*

This is beautiful! Nice staghorns. Today's shipment??

wilson, thanks.

nothing compared to yours. i envy you guys that are so dedicated to full SPS tank. i would like to do so too but my love for fishes surpass the level of SPS genes present in my DNA.

so i only choose those that are easy, cheap and just enough to add shape and diversity to my tank :)

and yes the staghorns are from today's shipment. added a big green colony of millie but not shown. i like stags and millie because they are big and take up space, which means i don't have to spend money buying too many SPS hehe.

hope this stag does well for me. i don't really have much luck with stags....

Very nice! :welldone: Sigh... big tanks and their endless possibilities... *looks at own nano* Sigh...

thanks! and nice meeting you again today.

nanos are fun too if you like them.

not for me though. i wont last long with a nano tank.

• Senior Reefer

wow! very nice and colourful combination of soft corals and SPS! :thumbsup:

i see quite a number of fishes in the tank,

the SPS are able to handle the bioload of the fishes?

thanks kiko!

like i said before, my love for fish surpass my love for corals.

many people tell me don't add so many fish but i can't help it!

i guess it's a good thing most are small and i limit the feeding. also regular water change, rowa and good skimmer is essential.

doing small things like washing frozen food (mysis) before feeding helps alot too.

because of my fishes, walt smith SPS are out of the question. the only 2 pieces i have from WS is the insane green pocci and the pink pocci. both doing exceptionally well, but the pink has dulled abit. the green is still going strong though!

i find indo SPS tolerate nutrients better and the ones i keep are very hardy and won't lose colours easily.

difficult and challenging ones i don't bother.

all in all, it is possible to have fish + SPS together. it's about how diligent you are and also choosing the right corals. dumping endless amount on money on WS SPS in my tank is not fruitful, for an example.

Copps from RC has a big full SPS tank but the tank is packed full of big angels. yet his corals are thriving and coloured.

• Senior Reefer

Remember to post your 3 rare catch... LOL...

:groupwavereversed: :groupwavereversed:

i won't post a picture for public until they have fully recovered. for now, only you and digiman have seen the fish.

to those who are wondering what i'm talking about,

today i found 3 ultra rare fairy wrasses at LCK.

it is an undescribed fairy wrasse found only in africa and it is part of the "rubriventralis-complex" of wrasses.

the fish has no scientific name because it is not described, but it's common name is the KwaZulu fairy wrasse.

there are almost no pictures of it on the internet because of it's rarity, but i've posted pictures in this forum before. poor pictures that do not show what the real fish looks like properly.

because only 3 came in and 2 were females and 1 is sub-male, people probably overlooked them and did not notice. but i looked at the whole tub with scrutiny and manage to find three. the condition however, is quite dire with one of them having only half the pectoral fin (probably rot or fight) and the other appears stressed and listless.

i'll post photos only when all recover.

LCK has brought in the KwaZulu fairy and the Joanallenae fairy from africa shipment before but always in minute quantities and rarely do they come in. i believe kueytoc bought joanallenae before. I have not seen one before.

LCK has also brought in the rarer Morrson's fairy wrasse from Australia.

these 3, kwazulu, morrisoni and joanallenae are three of the rarest members of the "rubriventralis-complex".

• SRC Member

Lemon, as always your humble FTS is really PLEASING to mine eyes!!! I am still in the beginning stages of restocking my tank and looking at your pictures have given me a wee bit of an idea of what to put where.. :P

Keep those updates coming!

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

• Senior Reefer

Lemon, as always your humble FTS is really PLEASING to mine eyes!!! I am still in the beginning stages of restocking my tank and looking at your pictures have given me a wee bit of an idea of what to put where.. :P

Keep those updates coming!

haha thanks thanks.

hope to see you in LFS soon!

i won't post a picture for public until they have fully recovered. for now, only you and digiman have seen the fish.

to those who are wondering what i'm talking about,

today i found 3 ultra rare fairy wrasses at LCK.

it is an undescribed fairy wrasse found only in africa and it is part of the "rubriventralis-complex" of wrasses.

the fish has no scientific name because it is not described, but it's common name is the KwaZulu fairy wrasse.

there are almost no pictures of it on the internet because of it's rarity, but i've posted pictures in this forum before. poor pictures that do not show what the real fish looks like properly.

because only 3 came in and 2 were females and 1 is sub-male, people probably overlooked them and did not notice. but i looked at the whole tub with scrutiny and manage to find three. the condition however, is quite dire with one of them having only half the pectoral fin (probably rot or fight) and the other appears stressed and listless.

i'll post photos only when all recover.

LCK has brought in the KwaZulu fairy and the Joanallenae fairy from africa shipment before but always in minute quantities and rarely do they come in. i believe kueytoc bought joanallenae before. I have not seen one before.

LCK has also brought in the rarer Morrson's fairy wrasse from Australia.

these 3, kwazulu, morrisoni and joanallenae are three of the rarest members of the "rubriventralis-complex".

African shipment? HMM I think I spotted this fairy wrasse. As usual, I DONT KNOW WHAT IT WAS! HAHA

but it definitely came up to say hi to me when i was there yesterday. It's with the mcosker right? (:

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• Senior Reefer

Saw the pics over at RC. Now I know what you were mentioning. Those wrasse looks quite normal at that stage.

they are all females.

they look rather normal as females, as with almost all fairy and flashers.

but the males are super rare because it's an un-identified species and almost no pictures on the internet.

African shipment? HMM I think I spotted this fairy wrasse. As usual, I DONT KNOW WHAT IT WAS! HAHA

but it definitely came up to say hi to me when i was there yesterday. It's with the mcosker right? (:

yes.

all females though.

• Senior Reefer

The fishes are more or less stabalised now. feeding very well but 1 of them has a badly torn pectoral fin which it sustained at the LFS. it does not seem to hamper it's swimming style and i guess it will be like nemo in the future with a smaller fin.

here's a picture of them in a glass cup for photographing.

all 3 are females at this stage.

Males are extremely rare and i don't know for sure what the male looks like.

this is currenly still undescribed, so there is no scientific name. Tentatively listed as Cirrhilabrus sp. 3

The common name is KwaZulu fairy wrasse.

females, like other members of the rubriventralis complex, are red with numerous sapphire blue spots and lines.

post-15755-062174800 1290425293_thumb.jp

post-15755-022851900 1290425317_thumb.jp

post-15755-068323400 1290425322_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

the first picture is taken from Rudie kuiter's wrasse book. it shows a male. however, the photo is very bad and does not show any discernible features as all the fins are clamped up.

The 2nd and 3rd photos show an un-identified wrasse which is speculated to be the male too. It is wrongly identified as Joanallenae fairy wrasse, but i have a feeling all three photos are males of the same fish.

I've asked a few wrasse experts and they don't have any definite answers as of now.

so i guess i'll have to wait slowly for one of my females to morph into a male. but who knows how long it will take..

post-15755-094921000 1290425483_thumb.jp

post-15755-017917300 1290425489.txt

post-15755-082873500 1290425493_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

Alamak Lemonlemon, you should get a small acrylic box to take a photo of the fishes instead of using a glass cup. You will get a nice clear picture than when using the glass cup as the glass cup would distort the pics.

haha nvm la.

still can see.

• Senior Reefer

Recently have been adding many SPS.

and to my happiness, all are doing very well with healthy polyp extension. growth is good! can see many of my SPS encrusting.

but i have not forgotten my soft coral roots.

so to break up the rigid sticks, i've added these two giant colonies of soft coral just to provide movement and to give a more natural look to the tank.

I've always liked those big soft coral outcrops in the Red Sea. so this is hopefully, similar.

With so many softies and SPS mixing, i am running alot of carbon and doing vigorous skimming.

post-15755-082294700 1291039336_thumb.jp

post-15755-070708000 1291039346_thumb.jp

post-15755-029479200 1291039354.txt

• Senior Reefer

Full tank shot.

Pardon the dullness and lack of vibrancy! Using new IPhone 4 camera and somehow it turned out like this? Can anyone using IPhone 4 help? lol.

why do my pictures look so dull.

the large pink fish on the top left corner is my Roseafascia fairy wrasse. It's grown so big as you can see. But not even halfway to it's maximum size yet!!!! oh goodness. I've kept him since he was a her! have kept it for many months now and watching it grow, developing it's trademark sword-like tail and awesome colours is something every fish lover can only hope to dream! the only roseafascia in Singapore now and believe me, it's living it's life as a KING!

It's toned down alot in terms of aggressiveness. Colour wise has improved tremendously and the pink, yellow and purple bands and hues really shine especially under actinics. The blaring brightness of the MH subdues it's colours in the day.

The "copperband" infront is, of course, a marginalis butterflyfish. The only one in Singapore. One which i've kept for many months and i really love this fish so much. Had to literally beg reborn to bring it in and finally they did. And i've never been happier with my purchase.

The SPS outcrop at the top are constantly abuzz with smaller fishes like my chromises and wrasses. Akin to bees visiting flowers.

The giant softy outcrop at the bottom right has gentle flow, and the bright green nepthea breaks out of the brown like a star. (It's deflated in this picture.)

The left side of the tank looks abit lop sided due to the emptiness in contrast to the bulkiness on the right, but there are many red monti and chili pepper monti frags there that will add shape when grown out.

All in all i'm very happy with the growth level and stability of the tank so far! and i hope it keeps that way.

post-15755-026804300 1291039444_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

Left side nicer than right side. But front FTS shot is still the nicest!

Awesome softies, makes the tank more natural looking!

after i change my bulbs to 12k, it's impossible to take photos. all come out so blue.

i like the front better oso. v hard to scape 3 sided square tank.

softies nice but the SPS need to grow faster to keep up!

after i change my bulbs to 12k, it's impossible to take photos. all come out so blue.

i like the front better oso. v hard to scape 3 sided square tank.

softies nice but the SPS need to grow faster to keep up!

Change your White balance for the camera...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp