Budget cost for starting a 2 ft marine tank

Hi, Bro and sis, please advise as i have read through a lot of forum, til I post at arofanatic forum about quick start system and one of the bro point me to here thanks for the help. Nearly get that quick start.

I am switching from fresh water to marine. What are the thing that can be use back to save $?

I have a existing:

1) Air pump

2) external filter

3) 2ft tank

4) PL light

if I want to save cost , can I dun get a chiller?

what is the rough estimated cost for additional items other then the one I mention i have?

I have went to a few LFS, they tell me about $600 with out chiller to get skimmer, media and sand and coral

Please advise , any LFS so I can get evryting from there, so I do not have to buy different ting from differnet place.

2ndly, is chiller necessary ? cos I am very tempted to buy a chiller from my friend as he is selling teco for his 3 ft tank at $200, but due to space constraint i have to make another shelving for the chiller if I wan to buy from him.

but will it be overkill for my 2 ft tank to use a 3 ft chiller

Thank for advise .

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

U definitely need to get a skimmer.(it's a must)

say if need extra thing I would advise u to go for a sump.

Initial set up sian but after that u will find conveniency in cleaning up your filter system.

For a 2 feet tank to use a chiller for 3 feet is ok.

Better still as it doesn't required to kick in so frequent... Save cost.

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

U definitely need to get a skimmer.(it's a must)

say if need extra thing I would advise u to go for a sump.

Initial set up sian but after that u will find conveniency in cleaning up your filter system.

For a 2 feet tank to use a chiller for 3 feet is ok.

Better still as it doesn't required to kick in so frequent... Save cost.

What skimmer brand or model? cos it range from $38 to $180, and a sump is it necessary? as i have space constraint and if I dun get a chiller any coral will survive? or jus live rock and fish?

Thanks

A good skimmer and a set of good test kit is very important.

Don't save on these

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

You can drop by iwarna at pasir ris and look at the pasar malam section. They have 2nd hand skimmer, lights and many more just need to keep a good look out

• SRC Member

Ok, thanks for advise, so do i still need my external filter? And wat media to put if I using external filter, so now on my shopping list willbe

1) protein skimmer/Get a Good one if you have the budget

2) chiller still thinking/Dun think

better to have

3) TEst Kits (mUst have!)

4) Change your PL light to LEd lights/if budget allow

What else?

• SRC Member

Value for $ u go for octopus skimmer.

Btw instead of air pump try use any water pump coz air pump will eventually leave alot of salt particular all over your tank or near tank area.

Normally sump is place underneath main tank so space constrain I'll say not affected :)

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

Value for $ u go for octopus skimmer.

Btw instead of air pump try use any water pump coz air pump will eventually leave alot of salt particular all over your tank or near tank area.

Normally sump is place underneath main tank so space constrain I'll say not affected :)

Thank what I mean is I have limited space beside my 2ft tank cos below my 2 ft is my hermit crab tank so I left about 1ft by 1.5ft space beside to house my external filter . Can I substitute sump tank with external filter instead as I have my existing filter

• SRC Member

Thank what I mean is I have limited space beside my 2ft tank cos below my 2 ft is my hermit crab tank so I left about 1ft by 1.5ft space beside to house my external filter . Can I substitute sump tank with external filter instead as I have my existing filter

can y not. But remember dun use the air pump :)

Hi bro, welcome to this hobby. My comment is as follows;

Tank, pl light and canister filter can be reused but yr pl light might need to chge bulb if u intend to keep corals or bring out the luminous effect of yr fishes. The core things u need are rock(live or dead) and seawater(self mix or buy seawater). U may choose sandless. Equipment wise, u need to have circulation in the tank and this can be achieved via wavemaker or powerhead(can be done but not ideal). For filter,u can use sump&overflow method or canister. For canister, u need to be hardworking to wash the medias, etc. Overflow(external or internal) with sump may be easier to do maintenance. For chiller, not a must but depending on yr livestock requirement. Some ppl will use fan as replacement but it will cause high evaporation and u will need auto or manual water top up. For biological filter, u can use a few methods such as algae scrubber, deep sand bed(magic mud, etc), refugium, mangrove, biohome(bacteria house, etc), dosing bacteria, etc. Just for yr info, skimmer is not a must but recommended. Hope my comments help.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

Fir skimmer, there are hang on type which will solve yr space issue but note some hang on skimmer will take up yr inner tank space due to placement of it's pump. Try deltec mc 300 or 600 or cheaper option is redsea prism or reefoctopus model. For hang on, if u like diy, u can also create a mechanical filter near the output. Some also got media compartment. As to which lfs, go ah beng ot auntie shop infront of ah beng or iwarna, they got second hand corner. For deltec, u will need to go reefdepot at shunfu as they are agent. Hope this help.

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member

my advice to you

1) do away with the quick start

2) get good lights, atleast T5 HO

3) get a chiller or use fan. used chiller and never looked back, you can still use the chiller from your friend, not over killing imo.

4) get a good skimmer

the bold ones are the ones i felt most important to a setup so spend more on it.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member

No matter how budget u r,end day u bound to spend alittle more than your budget.

Marine is never cheap...

So might as well heart pain 1 time get those good 1 n will last.

Rather than to do 2 time job! :)

Thanks for the advise, think got to find a shelf to position my chiller on top my cannister filter at side of tank.

Items decided so far:

1) LED light or T5

2) Chiller

3) Change media of external cannister filter ( sponge, bio safe pellets, bio ball?) is that right?

4) Test kit any brand?

5) LR, sand brand recommendation?( any shop to recommend?)

6) protein skimmer

Please advise as I know careful planing during the initial start up

Thanks to all

• SRC Member

Depend where u stay. With or without transport.

Of coz the nearer the better.

Dun go extra mile to buy cheaper stuff unless u getting alot. Transport cost will incurred.

:)

happy reefing...

• SRC Member

Thanks for the advise, think got to find a shelf to position my chiller on top my cannister filter at side of tank.

Items decided so far:

1) LED light or T5

2) Chiller

3) Change media of external cannister filter ( sponge, bio safe pellets, bio ball?) is that right?

4) Test kit any brand?

5) LR, sand brand recommendation?( any shop to recommend?)

6) protein skimmer

Please advise as I know careful planing during the initial start up

Thanks to all

The items you listed above can easily set you back by more than $700 depending on brand. So far you've not mentioned what type of marine tank you are intending to build: Fish-only, Fish-only with liverock, LPS corals, Soft corals, SPS corals, mixed reef. The equipment you should invest on depends on the type of setup.

Below are the BASIC equipment for all setup types:

Test kits (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)

Mechanical filter - to trap detritus and other large-sized waste.

Biological Filter - To neutralise ammonia and nitrite.

Wavemaker

Skimmer is recommended if you can afford it. Deltec MCE600, Red Sea Prizm, AquaC Remora are good choices if you are looking for hang-on-backs.

Good lights and Chiller is generally required only if you keep corals. Fishes do not require high quality lights as they are not photosynthetic but a touch of actinic lights will accentuate their bright colours.

With regards to item number 3. General recommendation to choose from: Biohome, Biohome Plus, Eheim BioMech, Eheim Subsrate Pro.

Also, if your tank does not have an overflow system and you intend to use your canister, you'll need to invest in a surface skimmer.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

True for the above!

Even if u get 2nd hand item in our forum,exceeding your budget is just a anytime issue.

The items you listed above can easily set you back by more than $700 depending on brand. So far you've not mentioned what type of marine tank you are intending to build: Fish-only, Fish-only with liverock, LPS corals, Soft corals, SPS corals, mixed reef. The equipment you should invest on depends on the type of setup.

Below are the BASIC equipment for all setup types:

Test kits (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)

Mechanical filter - to trap detritus and other large-sized waste.

Biological Filter - To neutralise ammonia and nitrite.

Wavemaker

Skimmer is recommended if you can afford it. Deltec MCE600, Red Sea Prizm, AquaC Remora are good choices if you are looking for hang-on-backs.

Good lights and Chiller is generally required only if you keep corals. Fishes do not require high quality lights as they are not photosynthetic but a touch of actinic lights will accentuate their bright colours.

With regards to item number 3. General recommendation to choose from: Biohome, Biohome Plus, Eheim BioMech, Eheim Subsrate Pro.

Also, if your tank does not have an overflow system and you intend to use your canister, you'll need to invest in a surface skimmer.

Thanks for the advise, I think I only want to start to see if i like the hobby with a simple set up that is why setting a 2 ft with my existing equipment which I have. I am more concern about starting cost rather than long term, that mean starting I do not want to exceed $800, which I already get the chiller from my friend at $200. I do not want to spend maybe $1xxx or even $2xxx, then end up realise this is more troublesome than i thought.

As some shop tell me to custom make a 2ft overflow tank itself cost about $1k plus tank alone, I know is good but maybe at a later stage where I am more experience.

Yr budget should be doable if you have patience. There are recommendation which minimize failure but don't have to follow everything to succeed. I used to convert my freshwater tank and kept 8 tangs with just rocks, prism skimmer, pl light and 2 Sei wavemakers and to be frank, I don't use test kit. Just cycle the tank longer and observe the some changes before confirming tank cycled. Sound simple? However, the dark force starts when u achieved something and wanting more. If you are going for basic fish keeping, my setup works with weekly water change and siphon the dirt from the tank. Good thing does mean exp and exp thing doesn't mean good. Look for reviews and user feedback. There help at times. All the best.

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member

Hi Dirtnitro,

If u dun mind, I can help u in ur setup at no cost BUT I'll need u to be as honest as possible and abit hardworking on ur side. 1st is if u can, post some photos of what r ur equipments on hand to be re-use and importantly is what kind of fishes and corals do u intend to keep as a beginner? This will make our job easier to help advice u based on ur budget of SGD$800/-.

Upz for yr kind offer, bro nitro.

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member

Hi Dirtnitro,

If u dun mind, I can help u in ur setup at no cost BUT I'll need u to be as honest as possible and abit hardworking on ur side. 1st is if u can, post some photos of what r ur equipments on hand to be re-use and importantly is what kind of fishes and corals do u intend to keep as a beginner? This will make our job easier to help advice u based on ur budget of SGD$800/-.

Sorry not honest... wrong choice of words, it shd be sure of what you want to keep, in a way... truthful to urself and that will make my job our job easier to recommend what kind of LS to what type of setup.