Full-SPS Shallow

vt_snowman87

• SRC Member

thanks bro wilson and amby.. :)

wilson, my salt is still 'fresh' and soft, so i doubt its the salt, i think its most likely the vodka, not too sure, stopped vodka for a while to monitor.. thanks for the offer bro, but no need at the moment.. :thumbsup:

bro amby, yea i also think the BTAs are not the culprit.. still loving them.. hahaha..

Sorry to hear that Vinc... Looks like some sudden changes in environment causing this... The Slim is to protect them but too much producing may causing tissue damage.. I still have your frag. let me know when your tank recover... :friends:

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• SRC Member

Sorry to hear that Vinc... Looks like some sudden changes in environment causing this... The Slim is to protect them but too much producing may causing tissue damage.. I still have your frag. let me know when your tank recover... :friends:

thanks bro for the offer, now still no need haha.. hopefully my frags can survive.. :) must be the sudden changes.. :friends:

• SRC Member

Swee! :welldone:

thank u bro, but too many sudden changes recently, some of my sps still trying to adapt.. got a few casualties now liao.. :)

• SRC Member

i remember seeing your chilli pepper and was thinking to myself "when will mine ever get to nice and big". sorry about your loss bro.

i personally won't blame the vodka since i myself am a user. as long as the dosing schedule is followed there shouldn't be a problem. if it was really a vodka problem i think more corals will be affected and not just your particular monti. care to share what brand are you using?

• SRC Member

i remember seeing your chilli pepper and was thinking to myself "when will mine ever get to nice and big". sorry about your loss bro.

i personally won't blame the vodka since i myself am a user. as long as the dosing schedule is followed there shouldn't be a problem. if it was really a vodka problem i think more corals will be affected and not just your particular monti. care to share what brand are you using?

hm, i was wondering could it be that the chillis are more sensitive? i dunno man.. im using "Glen's" bought from cheers, mind sharing ur dosing amount for your tank size?

• SRC Member

hm, i was wondering could it be that the chillis are more sensitive? i dunno man.. im using "Glen's" bought from cheers, mind sharing ur dosing amount for your tank size?

i followed the one on reefkeeping.com

1. Test your system�s NO3 and PO4 levels. Do not dose if you do not know this! We recommend good test kits that have some low level of sensitivity. This will be important later on to determining a maintenance dose regimen. During the initial dosing test often and adjust dosing parameters as needed as each tank�s requirement will be different. Dosing accuracy is of the utmost importance. A graduated measurement tool such as a syringe will come in handy. A journal of additions and test kit measurements is recommended.
  2. Estimate your Net Water Volume (NWV) of your system. (Aquarium volume + sump + refugium + reactor volumes) � (live rock displacement). It can be difficult to accurately measure the amount of water being displaced by the live rock. If unsure of the volume of live rock we suggest taking 30% off your display tank�s Gross Water Volume. For vodka dosing there is absolutely no harm in underestimating the Net Water Volume and is recommended.As an example, let us assume that your setup contains 100 Net Gallons.
  3. The starting dosage is 0.1ml of vodka per 25 gallons (~100 liters) NWV daily continued for three days. For 100 Net Gallons, your dosage would be 0.4ml daily during this period. It has been suggested to cut the daily dosage in half and dose twice daily for more consistency.
  4. Days 4-7, double the daily dosage to 0.2ml of vodka per 25 gallons NWV. Your example dosage would be 0.8ml daily during this period.
  5. Each subsequent week add an additional 0.5ml of vodka regardless of aquaria volume. At this point your example dosage during week two would be 1.3ml daily. If you do not see nutrient levels decrease during this week, the following week add an additional 0.5ml for a daily dosage of 1.8ml daily.
  6. When your NO3 and PO4 levels start to drop maintain the current dose. For example, if you were on week two when NO3 start to fall on 100 Net Water Volume you would add 1.3mL daily at this time for the continuing weeks until the NO3 becomes undetectable.
  7. When your NO3 and PO4 levels drop near undetectable with your test kits cut your current dose in half. This will be your starting maintenance dose (if the levels drop during week 2 then the dose after reaching undetectable levels would be 0.65ml daily [1.3ml divide by 2]).
  8. Continue to test for NO3 and PO4. If levels become detectable in the future increase your daily dose by 0.1ml increments per week until the levels start to decrease. If you maintain that dose the levels will eventually drop back to undetectable. This would become your new maintenance dose.

starting with 0.1ml i worked all the way for months till 5ml before hitting 0 nitrates. now its just 2.5ml daily for maintenance dosing. not sure about glen's vodka but from what i know "throughout 2008, the brand has been among several targeted by counterfeiters of fake spirits". glen's alcohol % of 35 / 37.5% also makes it harder to calculate dosing. i'm using smirnoff red 40%.

• SRC Member

Sorry to hear about the chilli pepper... I suspect is the volka dosing also... becos it might cause a drop in water parameter if not done progressively...

dangerous terrains indeed.. haha..

Hope they will recover!! so sad to see such a huge piece to have problems >.>

yea, anyway, thanks for the ride to visit lfs!

i followed the one on reefkeeping.com

1. Test your system�s NO3 and PO4 levels. Do not dose if you do not know this! We recommend good test kits that have some low level of sensitivity. This will be important later on to determining a maintenance dose regimen. During the initial dosing test often and adjust dosing parameters as needed as each tank�s requirement will be different. Dosing accuracy is of the utmost importance. A graduated measurement tool such as a syringe will come in handy. A journal of additions and test kit measurements is recommended.
  2. Estimate your Net Water Volume (NWV) of your system. (Aquarium volume + sump + refugium + reactor volumes) � (live rock displacement). It can be difficult to accurately measure the amount of water being displaced by the live rock. If unsure of the volume of live rock we suggest taking 30% off your display tank�s Gross Water Volume. For vodka dosing there is absolutely no harm in underestimating the Net Water Volume and is recommended.As an example, let us assume that your setup contains 100 Net Gallons.
  3. The starting dosage is 0.1ml of vodka per 25 gallons (~100 liters) NWV daily continued for three days. For 100 Net Gallons, your dosage would be 0.4ml daily during this period. It has been suggested to cut the daily dosage in half and dose twice daily for more consistency.
  4. Days 4-7, double the daily dosage to 0.2ml of vodka per 25 gallons NWV. Your example dosage would be 0.8ml daily during this period.
  5. Each subsequent week add an additional 0.5ml of vodka regardless of aquaria volume. At this point your example dosage during week two would be 1.3ml daily. If you do not see nutrient levels decrease during this week, the following week add an additional 0.5ml for a daily dosage of 1.8ml daily.
  6. When your NO3 and PO4 levels start to drop maintain the current dose. For example, if you were on week two when NO3 start to fall on 100 Net Water Volume you would add 1.3mL daily at this time for the continuing weeks until the NO3 becomes undetectable.
  7. When your NO3 and PO4 levels drop near undetectable with your test kits cut your current dose in half. This will be your starting maintenance dose (if the levels drop during week 2 then the dose after reaching undetectable levels would be 0.65ml daily [1.3ml divide by 2]).
  8. Continue to test for NO3 and PO4. If levels become detectable in the future increase your daily dose by 0.1ml increments per week until the levels start to decrease. If you maintain that dose the levels will eventually drop back to undetectable. This would become your new maintenance dose.

starting with 0.1ml i worked all the way for months till 5ml before hitting 0 nitrates. now its just 2.5ml daily for maintenance dosing. not sure about glen's vodka but from what i know "throughout 2008, the brand has been among several targeted by counterfeiters of fake spirits". glen's alcohol % of 35 / 37.5% also makes it harder to calculate dosing. i'm using smirnoff red 40%.

icic, thanks for the info bro.. appreciated! :thumbsup:

• SRC Member

after the chilli pepper mayhem, nothing else has changed.. all other SPS are still doing fine.. must have been vodka shock, as NO3 suddenly hit 0..

some pics to update.. those that are still doing well.. :friends:

post-9599-0-80260600-1302007971_thumb.jp

post-9599-0-33761400-1302007979_thumb.jp

post-9599-0-47292000-1302007986_thumb.jp

post-9599-0-56961200-1302007994_thumb.jp

post-9599-0-19468300-1302008005_thumb.jp

post-9599-0-21808000-1302008012_thumb.jp

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

Nice... :thumbsup:

thanks bro cf, its about time this huge monster splitted.. even in half, its easily 7inches big.. <_<

hahah 1 more time bomb to worry abt crawling ard lol

u're right, halved btas have tendencies to roam, i just removed both halves and let them heal in my sump first, low light low flow.. :rolleyes:

thanks bro cf, its about time this huge monster splitted.. even in half, its easily 7inches big.. <_<

u're right, halved btas have tendencies to roam, i just removed both halves and let them heal in my sump first, low light low flow.. :rolleyes:

give them iodine to recover faster...

natural splits are less subjective to infections..than cuts.. :thumbsup:

• 5 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

newest addition from Henry's place.. special 'orange-drop'.. in my eyes, this fellow has potential.. :thumbsup: more pics of it coming up soon!

post-9599-0-03853900-1309005861_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

knock knock... u r reminded to post pics of the splitted anemone.. :ThanxSmiley:

this picture is for you, showing my bta-island.. with the new addition at the centre.. :) pic taken slanted to the glass..

post-9599-0-91497800-1309006331_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

i'm contented with my mini-plate collection.. :)

post-9599-0-54834700-1309006939_thumb.jp

true optic-fibre.. still doing good and growing well, despite tank fluctuations.. :)

post-9599-0-56998900-1309006958_thumb.jp

rainbow monti.. :)

post-9599-0-27120300-1309007019_thumb.jp

tenius, i think.. :)

post-9599-0-19576000-1309007035_thumb.jp

bicolor bn.. :)

post-9599-0-08631900-1309007058_thumb.jp

green slimer, still my favourite 'green' sps.. :)

post-9599-0-11558900-1309007073_thumb.jp

i'm contented with my mini-plate collection.. :)

post-9599-0-54834700-1309006939_thumb.jp

true optic-fibre.. still doing good and growing well, despite tank fluctuations.. :)

post-9599-0-56998900-1309006958_thumb.jp

rainbow monti.. :)

post-9599-0-27120300-1309007019_thumb.jp

tenius, i think.. :)

post-9599-0-19576000-1309007035_thumb.jp

bicolor bn.. :)

post-9599-0-08631900-1309007058_thumb.jp

green slimer, still my favourite 'green' sps.. :)

post-9599-0-11558900-1309007073_thumb.jp

Vincent, you watch out! I am going to buy ALOT of frags from you man! (: :welldone:

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• SRC Member

Vincent, you watch out! I am going to buy ALOT of frags from you man! (: :welldone:

wa bro, must give me early-warning leh.. i dun have frags ad-hoc one haha.. need to prepare them early.. :)

Bro, you must be addicted to those nippies... :eyebrow: I'm sure your clowns are spoiled for choice.

oh yea, just looking to localize them to one island.. love nems, but my tank is mainly sps.. :) sad to say i only have 1 percula at the moment, went to CF today but didn't see any percula i like.. will take my time to choose his mate.. :eyebrow: btw thanks bro for the advice on gobies, awesome stuff!