High death rate

uLtRaMaN

• SRC Member

Recently bought a few fishes fm my favourite place. Very sadly all ended up dead for no reason. Fishes bought fm other lfs were happily swimming in my tank till now. Heard from another bro about the high death rate as well. Last time used to be ok but dunno why now becomes like that? Haizzz guess will stop buying fishes fm them at the moment. Sian man lose a lot of $$$ as the fishes were not cheap :(

• Like 1

Recently bought a few fishes fm my favourite place. Very sadly all ended up dead for no reason. Fishes bought fm other lfs were happily swimming in my tank till now. Heard from another bro about the high death rate as well. Last time used to be ok but dunno why now becomes like that? Haizzz guess will stop buying fishes fm them at the moment. Sian man lose a lot of $$$ as the fishes were not cheap :(

Mind PM me the LFS name?

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe

• SRC Member

did u assimilate the fishes? and how about yr water parameters?

there's risk of getting fishes that have just arrived bcoz they r under stressed and b4 they can adjust to the water parameters of the LFS, they are bought and place into another environment...that cd be one possibility...not to pinpoint at anybody

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

did u assimilate the fishes? and how about yr water parameters?

there's risk of getting fishes that have just arrived bcoz they r under stressed and b4 they can adjust to the water parameters of the LFS, they are bought and place into another environment...that cd be one possibility...not to pinpoint at anybody

Good water perimeters. Fishes r healthy n corals r blooming. Bought fishes fm various farms n lfs. All also under same stress. But only fishes fm this place kept dying. How to explain?

Most likely the fish die due to diseases and luckily it does not affect the rest of your fish inside your tank. This may come from their source or cross contamination from the other fish in the holding tank. But at time, it really depend on luck also to get a healthy species.

Agrees. Many factors especially deep sea wrasses. Even can keep them alive, they can die after months. . Though eating well etc. Can't understand the reason but if i ever go into wrasse, got to prepare for this. Cheers.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member

Another reason could be cyanide used in fish collection at place of origin?

I've also lost a flame and rhomboid bought from the same place. Prior to that I didn't have anything die for more than a year. And because of the cost of the flame and rhomboid, I was particularly careful with acclimatization. But the flame didn't last 2 hours, and the rhomboid 3 days.

Because of this, I never went to that LFS again. And since then, hardly anything died again...

I've also lost a flame and rhomboid bought from the same place. Prior to that I didn't have anything die for more than a year. And because of the cost of the flame and rhomboid, I was particularly careful with acclimatization. But the flame didn't last 2 hours, and the rhomboid 3 days.

Because of this, I never went to that LFS again. And since then, hardly anything died again...

Hawaii dun use Cyanide for catching of fishes... Most likely shipping stress... I roughly know which LFS you guys are talking about...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

Most likely the fish die due to diseases and luckily it does not affect the rest of your fish inside your tank. This may come from their source or cross contamination from the other fish in the holding tank. But at time, it really depend on luck also to get a healthy species.

The fish had no chance to even go to d main tank. Agree luck sometimes play a part but most importantly its still d source thats most critical.

• SRC Member

Agrees. Many factors especially deep sea wrasses. Even can keep them alive, they can die after months. . Though eating well etc. Can't understand the reason but if i ever go into wrasse, got to prepare for this. Cheers.

Bro agree deep sea wrasses r more sensitive. How about fishes like flame angels, lemeonpeel etc? They also die like nobody business. At first thought might be my own problem so decided to find the real cause. Immediately bought another 2 flame fm another lfs and till today they are still both happily swimming in my tank.

• SRC Member

Bro the feeling sucks right? Paid so much for the fishes and in the end dont even have a chance to see them swimming in your display tank. Anyway dun think I will go back to the place again, cannot tahan pocket kena burnt time n time again.

• SRC Member

Buy wrasse from reefer next time lo^^ but i personally feel that rhomboid is a very difficult fish as usually are very stress after shipping.As for flame wrasse i had almost never encounter any problem.

• Senior Reefer

firstly, rhomboid is a deep water fairy wrasse that is prone to decompression issues and shipping stress. especially the large males.

the larger they are, the worst they ship.

almost 80% of rhomboids will die from decompression problems when shipped. it's not the LFS fault. it's the handling and collection fault. people in japan, U.S and thailand also have problems with large male rhomboid wrasse. so the solution, either you're lucky, or buy smaller males/females or juveniles.

secondly. cyanide is not used anywhere else except indonesia and philippines. so please get this right.

3rdly, angels like flame angel, lemonpeel etc are very prone to flukes. as said before, it's not the LFS fault. these fishes come in with problems like this from the wild. i always do a 10 min freshwater dip to all angels and butterflies i buy to de-fluke them.

all the problems above are NOT the LFS fault.

of course, LFS in singapore are not good at holding fishes for too long. but i assume you bought the fish on the same day of shipment. so this is still fresh and in good condition.

if you bought it like many weeks after shipment, then there could be a problem since most LFS here are not good at holding fish too long.

so before fingers are pointed at any LFS, please look deeper into the problem and not superficially.

• SRC Member

firstly, rhomboid is a deep water fairy wrasse that is prone to decompression issues and shipping stress. especially the large males.

the larger they are, the worst they ship.

almost 80% of rhomboids will die from decompression problems when shipped. it's not the LFS fault. it's the handling and collection fault. people in japan, U.S and thailand also have problems with large male rhomboid wrasse. so the solution, either you're lucky, or buy smaller males/females or juveniles.

secondly. cyanide is not used anywhere else except indonesia and philippines. so please get this right.

3rdly, angels like flame angel, lemonpeel etc are very prone to flukes. as said before, it's not the LFS fault. these fishes come in with problems like this from the wild. i always do a 10 min freshwater dip to all angels and butterflies i buy to de-fluke them.

all the problems above are NOT the LFS fault.

of course, LFS in singapore are not good at holding fishes for too long. but i assume you bought the fish on the same day of shipment. so this is still fresh and in good condition.

if you bought it like many weeks after shipment, then there could be a problem since most LFS here are not good at holding fish too long.

so before fingers are pointed at any LFS, please look deeper into the problem and not superficially.

My question is very simple. Why the same type of fishes bought from different LFS can survive? And the rate the fishes die is really absurd, can be anything from an hour to a day! You mentioned its NOT the LFS fault which I beg to differ. Have you ever seen different LFS handle new fishes when they first arrived? Doesn't all these contribute to the survival chances of the fishes? And the NSW that the LFS is using, have they ever tested is it safe for fishes? There are no finger pointing issues here please, just a genuine experience that a reefer had gone through and sharing with fellow hobbyist.

• SRC Member

I think most reefers has mentioned and rightly pointed out the various possibilities. I used to have problem buying livestocks/corals from one LFS. It does not matter which place the fish/corals came from, it just die. However, recently we bought some from the same LFS and everything is doing well. So, I think sometimes it's matter of luck.

All the possible reasons such as shipping, collection problems are valid. Try to QT them if you can or do FW dip like what Lemon suggest. Also, just because some fishes from other LFS is fine does not necessary mean your system is fine. They may be stronger in terms of immune system or have yet to show any syptoms. (touchwood! :))

Anyway good luck and one last thing, you may want to avoid adding too many fishes at one time as well.. as it will likely cause even more stress.

• SRC Member

Are we allow to indicate which LFS you referring to here? Just like the Tampiness Push cart incident, at least we know which LFS you referring to. This might serve as a notice to the LFS and if they are in this forum, they might want to clarify themself and fellow reefers will be more aware as well.

Bro, got to compare same kind. Lol. U are lucky to get stable flame wrasses. I have tried flames wrasse from most lfs except one but to be honest, apart from healthy specimen and water condition, I have managed to keep them for months like 3 to 6 but subsequently died suddenly and sign of dyin almost the same, breathing very fast and just died. Got a reefer friend who was successful in keeping mixed reef and min. Fishes(got tank of the month), his flame also encounter such problem. Thus, I am also not sure what is the reason and conclude to give up deep sea wrasse. Lol. For me, maybe tank overload but for him, should be tip top but still don't know the reason. Not tryin to protect any lfs but think just go to the shop u trusted more and at least u will be happy. Move on if u find better source. Now going big angel and that is challenging for non copper based tank, patience and patience. . At least to me find it more problematic that other fishes. . Lol

Bro agree deep sea wrasses r more sensitive. How about fishes like flame angels, lemeonpeel etc? They also die like nobody business. At first thought might be my own problem so decided to find the real cause. Immediately bought another 2 flame fm another lfs and till today they are still both happily swimming in my tank.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member

from my opinion, 60% survival rate and health of the fishes lies with how the supplier and the LFS handle the livestocks...the other 40% are factors like the condition of the fishes itself - healthy or not healthy, feeding or not feeding, water parameters of the tank, whether the fish is use to enclosed environment such as the pressure, temp, etc....

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

Bro, got to compare same kind. Lol. U are lucky to get stable flame wrasses. I have tried flames wrasse from most lfs except one but to be honest, apart from healthy specimen and water condition, I have managed to keep them for months like 3 to 6 but subsequently died suddenly and sign of dyin almost the same, breathing very fast and just died. Got a reefer friend who was successful in keeping mixed reef and min. Fishes(got tank of the month), his flame also encounter such problem. Thus, I am also not sure what is the reason and conclude to give up deep sea wrasse. Lol. For me, maybe tank overload but for him, should be tip top but still don't know the reason. Not tryin to protect any lfs but think just go to the shop u trusted more and at least u will be happy. Move on if u find better source. Now going big angel and that is challenging for non copper based tank, patience and patience. . At least to me find it more problematic that other fishes. . Lol

Opps bro paiseh i meant got 2 flame angels, not flame wrasse... lol! Big angels with sps now? Wow swee swee :welldone: yup anyway i've found better places to shop for livestocks, agree patience is the key to the success of a reef tank, but frankly how many of us can really do it? Lol! :P

agree patience is the key to the success of a reef tank, but frankly how many of us can really do it? Lol! :P

LOL...me no patience as well :yahoo: !

Btw, I know your pain...I kana before same as you :( !

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe