Reef-A-Palooza

yikai

• Senior Reefer

well that's all the photos i have...

most of the time i'm too busy either sleeping, freaking out or too excited to take any pics.

i think the most rewarding part of this trip is to meet and befriend a heck load of industry leaders. these people are really, uncomparable in terms of knowledge and experience. they just go on and on and on about equipment, corals etc etc non stop even during meal times!

and i've learnt really alot from all of them. i had a chance to meet and talk with the creator of coral rx. omg the stuff that goes in there, unbelievable!

jake's really knowledgable about corals and sps so it's a nice change, listening and talking about corals other than fish. although i just mostly write up about fish on reefbuilders.

i also had the chance to listen to bob fenner and walt smith's talk on their new collection facility in fiji. walt smith is really a fantastically nice guy and he had nice impressions dealing with iwarna.

incase some of you don't know, there's a new species of angelfish named after his wife, deborah, and i've tried to pull some strings for angelfish aficionados to get their paws on some the next time walt smith int'l goes collecting.

so that's all for my posts today, hope i can share my experience and thrill here for y'all.

it's really a privilege to go this far in the hobby in such a short time for me, but there's still plentyyy to learn and experience.

there are many events like this happening but it's not always convenient to go, so i don't know when will be the next time i see all of them again and hopefully, share something new.

• Senior Reefer

Rinecanthus Lunula for the pic on the left?

The pic on the right shows a rinecanthus cinereus?

ah i just noticed the google pic i've attached is wrong.

yah it's a R. lunula.

really rare and it's so pretty in real life!

there isn't much rare fish this time at QM if you want to discount the 'staple rare' such as wrought iron, conspic etc.

but the sheer shize and facility of QM is enough to make you go crazy.

i also went to pacific aquafarms and sea dwelling creatures.

but never really take many photos there.

here's some more common stuff. but in outrageous numbers.

there are hundreds of flames and multicolors and seriously, it makes you wonder how freaking many there are in the sea.

mind you this is only in one shop, for one weekend, in one state!

imagine world wide!

i promised not to post any photos of jake and the other people i met there out of privacy, but that's his fingers and his camera taking photos of some really tiny venustus angels. incase anyone's wondering.

interesting the americans spell angel wrongly as angle like CF aunty.

An international mistake.

• Senior Reefer

interesting the americans spell angel wrongly as angle like CF aunty.

An international mistake.

most of the workers there are mexican and asian!

you'll be surprised! all cannot speak and spell properly!

ah i just noticed the google pic i've attached is wrong.

yah it's a R. lunula.

really rare and it's so pretty in real life!

there isn't much rare fish this time at QM if you want to discount the 'staple rare' such as wrought iron, conspic etc.

but the sheer shize and facility of QM is enough to make you go crazy.

U call that nothing rare?

The hulafish, the waitei anthias, the WI, Conspics, tuxedo damsels, blue devil, lunula trigger, white bar macs all are v rare and to appear in big numbers all in one LFS makes QM v impressive! Waitei and lunula never came in b4.

I'm most interested in the undescribed trigger! It is gorgeous!

• Senior Reefer

U call that nothing rare?

The hulafish, the waitei anthias, the WI, Conspics, tuxedo damsels, blue devil, lunula trigger, white bar macs all are v rare and to appear in big numbers all in one LFS makes QM v impressive! Waitei and lunula never came in b4.

I'm most interested in the undescribed trigger! It is gorgeous!

yah but they are the famous rare!

i was hoping to see some really cool rare stuff that no one knows off and surprise me! like that un-id trigger.

it;s super gorgeous i tell u.

the tail and other parts are yellowish-gold and the body is light grey. v interesting.

they never put price tag one.

so i dunno the price.

btu the waitei should not be expensive.

there's about 20 million of them all dumped with cheap indonesian anthias.

Their quantities are crazy! The number of waiteis, catalina, flame, multicolor, helfrichi are shocking!

Maybe they are wholesale centres that's why so many.

The helfrichi so cheap. We are paying double here!

• Senior Reefer

Their quantities are crazy! The number of waiteis, catalina, flame, multicolor, helfrichi are shocking!

Maybe they are wholesale centres that's why so many.

The helfrichi so cheap. We are paying double here!

the helfrich!!!!

imagine all the royal gramma, flame angel floating in the little containers in lck.

REPLACE WITH HELFRHICHI.

jake say some seasons they get soooooooooo much that they sell for about $20!

then imagine firefish price?

the helfrich!!!!

imagine all the royal gramma, flame angel floating in the little containers in lck.

REPLACE WITH HELFRHICHI.

jake say some seasons they get soooooooooo much that they sell for about $20!

then imagine firefish price?

Oversupply.

No wonder LCK US supply can get helfrichi in great numbers.

Thanks for sharing this interesting trip with us Lemon, can feel your excitement throughout the entire journey....and I think you kind of represented our reefing community and help connect us with the outside world of fantasy. :welldone:

Treat others the way you wanna be treated...

• SRC Member

Oh crap... if I knew they had Helfriches there at such prices, I would have demanded to make a trip there. We wasted a lot of time on useless shopping at Macy's...

Bro, you flew all the way there without a proper camera? Unbelievable... you could have captured the moments! :(

• Senior Reefer

peacemaker

- i don't have a proper camera to begin with :)

jake's the one with all the fancy gadgets. i just have my iphone4 haha.

cedric

- thanks. i think you would really enjoy speaking to jake and walt smith. they are so damn knowledgable about sps. it's ridiculous.

• SRC Member

wow lemon.. I LOVE the pictures... so lucky.. I see the whole sale shop and I wanted to swoon!! So many fishys!!!! and the little conspic.. so damn cute.

DARN!!!

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

• SRC Member

Great sharing!!! :ThanxSmiley:

I want them helfrichis and I want them cheap!

Do you know how much is the big black tang going for?

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

peacemaker

- i don't have a proper camera to begin with :)

jake's the one with all the fancy gadgets. i just have my iphone4 haha.

cedric

- thanks. i think you would really enjoy speaking to jake and walt smith. they are so damn knowledgable about sps. it's ridiculous.

Yeah man, how i wish meeting all these real gurus and learn from them about SPS !!! I look forward to meeting them some day :)

I would have gladly let you take my canon DSLR and bring back some crazy sps frag shot ...haha

Treat others the way you wanna be treated...

Thanks for sharing your trip and photo here, it is really interesting for us to see what the "outside world" is LOL.

Hopefully someday we have a chance to see similar event in Singapore just for marine.