The difficult angelfish to keep?

yeo99

I have tried to keep some dwarf and juvenile large angelfishes but with low success rate. I found the following quite a challenge:

1. Half moon angel or purple mask angel

2. Multi-bar angel

3. Potter angel

Please share which angelfish are challenging? How to feed them successfully? :ThanxSmiley:

• SRC Member

I have tried to keep some dwarf and juvenile large angelfishes but with low success rate. I found the following quite a challenge:

2. Multi-bar angel

3. Potter angel

Please share which angelfish are challenging? How to feed them successfully? :ThanxSmiley:

Yo!...yo man...watz happening yo?!....

these 3 angels r not for beginners yo...they require a lot of care and attention and one have to learn how to wean them to feed yo...need tanks that has lots of live rocks yo...n lots of space yo...and preferably, not with other territorial fishes yo...

got it? yo...

l7304smr.jpg

• Senior Reefer

In my opinion, no angelfish is difficult to keep. Only difficult to adapt to captive life.

Once they settle down and you acquire a specimen that can adapt to the tank, they are hardy as hell.

Difficult will mean that throughout captivity, every step is faced with challenge. But that's not the case for most Angels. Once past the initial stage and if they survive, they do very well.

All the species listed in this thread are very sensitive and super hard to adapt. Healthy specimens are difficult to come by too.

• SRC Member

Even wit a healthy fish, n u didnt noe e trick, it wil not survive. E trick is to introduce tis fishes first. Let it settle for 1mth before introduce any other fish. Tats wat i did to my golden angel. Til now its not feedin but stil fat. Dunno wat it eat. Even my trio rustyflames don dare to bully him...

Agreed, some are more difficult, need more experience. But also more important is the fish itself. Must be healthy and most important is feeding.

Lastly, the sequence of introducing and hope for the best, that the other angels does not attack the new comer.

• 3 weeks later...

Summary of difficult angelfish to keep: (not in order)

2. Multi-bar angel

3. Potter angel

4. Golden Angel

5. Singapore Angel

6. regal Angel

7. colini Angel

It is difficult to get them acclimatize and eating. So it is adviseable to add them first before other angels because most of them are very shy. Easily been attacked by other angels.

• SRC Member

Summary of difficult angelfish to keep: (not in order)

2. Multi-bar angel

3. Potter angel

4. Golden Angel

5. Singapore Angel

6. regal Angel

7. colini Angel

It is difficult to get them acclimatize and eating. So it is adviseable to add them first before other angels because most of them are very shy. Easily been attacked by other angels.

Venustus

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

Yes.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

Venustus angel is also less commonly known as half-moon angel becos usually when pple say half-moon angel we refer to the Maculosus angel from redfsea.

So the better common name we use for venustus should be purple-mask angel.

Otherwise it'll be best we stick to the name venustus angel which all of us are most familiar with.

To me venustus is a big waste of money! I would say the survival rate is less than 10%. That means if u see a batch of 10 venustus at LFS, either only 1 will survive, or all will perish.

That being said however i do not discourage pple to try venustus becos it's beauty is worth many attempts if u can eventually get one to survive. I love the fish a lot but i've have v v poor luck, so after too many failed attempts then i learnt to give up.

Since Digiman bring out the surival rate of the fish, it will be good to share the surival rate of these fish.

1. Half moon angel or purple mask angel or venustus

2. Multi-bar angel

3. Potter angel

4. Golden Angel

5. Singapore Angel

6. regal Angel

7. colini Angel

Since Digiman bring out the surival rate of the fish, it will be good to share the surival rate of these fish.

2. Multi-bar angel

3. Potter angel

4. Golden Angel

5. Singapore Angel

6. regal Angel

7. colini Angel

I tried 4 of these.

1) Venustus (failed)

2) Multibar (first attempt and still surviving but trying to get it on pellets instead of just mysis, about 2 months with me)

3) Potter (first attempt and feeding hungrily on everything, about 3 weeks in tank)

4) Golden Angel (first attempt but no longer with me feeding hungrily on everything, I have a small log on how I tried to get it eating)

I don't have room in tank to try anymore and in the meantime I don't want to go through all the effort to try again these difficult angels.

I would love to try the venustus again but afraid I will fail once more, don't like seeing fishes die in my tank.

Take note there is alot of preparation and reading done before I purchased any, and I guess I had also been lucky as they all seem to be doing quite well.

This final time when I upgraded my tank, I had planned the schedule of all my angelfish purchases.

I tried 4 of these.

1) Venustus (failed)

2) Multibar (first attempt and still surviving but trying to get it on pellets instead of just mysis, about 2 months with me)

3) Potter (first attempt and feeding hungrily on everything, about 3 weeks in tank)

4) Golden Angel (first attempt but no longer with me feeding hungrily on everything, I have a small log on how I tried to get it eating)

I don't have room in tank to try anymore and in the meantime I don't want to go through all the effort to try again these difficult angels.

I would love to try the venustus again but afraid I will fail once more, don't like seeing fishes die in my tank.

Take note there is alot of preparation and reading done before I purchased any, and I guess I had also been lucky as they all seem to be doing quite well.

This final time when I upgraded my tank, I had planned the schedule of all my angelfish purchases.

For me, it's the elusive Flame Angel. I have gone through a dozen. The last two were doing well for 3-4 months. The all of a sudden, they stop eating and died on me.

For me, it's the elusive Flame Angel. I have gone through a dozen. The last two were doing well for 3-4 months. The all of a sudden, they stop eating and died on me.

I also have this experience on lemonpeel angel. It is eating very well for 2 months, suddenly stop eating. One of the reason , I found that it has stringy white poo (worm infection). Do you see this? I think mostly likely it is due to internal bacterial inflection. Need to use medicines containing Paziqunatel and Metronizazole to treat.

I tried 4 of these.

1) Venustus (failed)

Yes, alot of reading needed for this type of angels.

Tried

1) Venustus - like the color very much, indeed a difficult one to get it to feed. Try all sorts of food, NLS, frozen, fresh, Ocean Nitrition, etc . At the end, still died of hungry I think. Do not know what is the real reason, no white poo, no white spot or rot, no attack from other fishes , etc.

2) Multibar - same as Venustus case.

Now decided not try these fish at the moment until I can find a good and healhly one in the LSF.....

Yes, alot of reading needed for this type of angels.

Tried

1) Venustus - like the color very much, indeed a difficult one to get it to feed. Try all sorts of food, NLS, frozen, fresh, Ocean Nitrition, etc . At the end, still died of hungry I think. Do not know what is the real reason, no white poo, no white spot or rot, no attack from other fishes , etc.

2) Multibar - same as Venustus case.

Now decided not try these fish at the moment until I can find a good and healhly one in the LSF.....

But the Payoff is very satisfying! Take a look at feeding time which just took place.

• Senior Reefer

for all the common angels feeding then dying without reason,

the main problem usually lies with flukes.

fluke infestation is common but easy to cure.

freshwater dip removes all adults on the body. a little flukes is fine but most wild caught dwarf angels are riddled with flukes.

flame and lemonpeels are prime suspects.

try it the next time you buy a wild caught flame angel. dip it in freshwater for a few minutes. you'll be surprised what you find dropping off it's body.

for all the common angels feeding then dying without reason,

the main problem usually lies with flukes.

fluke infestation is common but easy to cure.

freshwater dip removes all adults on the body. a little flukes is fine but most wild caught dwarf angels are riddled with flukes.

flame and lemonpeels are prime suspects.

try it the next time you buy a wild caught flame angel. dip it in freshwater for a few minutes. you'll be surprised what you find dropping off it's body.

Thanks lemon. Much appreciate your advice, those angelfishes I bought had been quarantined except for the multicolor. At CF they do treat the fishes before selling right? The multibar was gotten from there, but when I introduced the cleaner shrimp. The multibar immediately went up to the cleaner shrimps and had a long cleaning session even opening up the gills to be cleaned. Could the cleaner shrimps be cleaning off flukes?