My 34l nano:)

Marine_fanaticz

hi guys, newbie here. just wanted to share with you my 34l ocean free tank running on an iOS for about 6 weeks now.

LS consisting of one yellowtail damsel and one clownfish which have been in the tank for 2 weeks.

realise that my clownfish keeps hovering mid-above level I stead of swming through the rocks... so today, I added a resun2000 wave maker 2000l/h ( abit big I know) into the tank for more flow and my clown seems more active . Afraid the wavemaker might cause some heat issues so I got a dymax cooling fan also.

have been doing a 10%wc weekly and top up with life distilled water from NTUC.

So far not gg to add any LS untill the tank matures and I come back from my 1week holiday. plan to keep zoas and hopefully an anemone(hopefully). looking to change the wavemaker to a koralia nano or the small tunz model and well as upgrade the led lights.

As I'm a newbie, feel free to comment.. your inputs are most appreciated:)))

post-21813-0-08096100-1353486070_thumb.j

• SRC Member

Damsel is very territorial, and u mention anemone n wavemaker. Anemone will get suck into ur wavemaker since ur tank is small.

Tank Theme: Mixed Reef with clams

3 feet tank with IOS

Eheim 1262

K3 wavemaker x1

Lightings: T5 actinic blue x4 , T5 white x4

Skimmer: BMQQ

Artica 1/5

Dosing: NA

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reefing is sharing. People with rotten mouth is sure a loser for life as expected. When a tomato gets rotten, you can nvr save it.. Throw it away before it infect the good ones.

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

Yup the running the dymax iq skimmer.. Pretty much useless leh. Never gotten the dark brown skimmate. Only yellowish coloured water.

Anyways yup I know damsel very territorial but this one seems to be getting along well with my clown. I like the blue tinge that it brings to the tank. haha thanks for your input anyways and now figuring out why my pic is sideways?!? Haha

I just got this tank...currently cycling...got live rocks and a few zoas inside...

I cant seem to find a suitable skimmer for this tank...the dymax skimmer seriously bad....not much use at all...given up on that one...

Any reccomendations for skimmer? I also think the default pump is not strong enuff..thinking abt changing to a higher flow pump or adding in a wavemaker. Which in ur opnion is better?

I just got this tank...currently cycling...got live rocks and a few zoas inside...

I cant seem to find a suitable skimmer for this tank...the dymax skimmer seriously bad....not much use at all...given up on that one...

Any reccomendations for skimmer? I also think the default pump is not strong enuff..thinking abt changing to a higher flow pump or adding in a wavemaker. Which in ur opnion is better?

haha yup the skimmer is really of no use... I just placed it there for the time being but I changed the stock wood block to the sanders2.. Some might say for a tank that size don't need skimmer , just frequent water change. I also intend to change the return pump for more flow... I tried using a sunsun nano wavemaker but it heated the tank cos I'm not using a chiller so I removed it. Also afraid if I change the pump, The new pump will heat up the tank....

• 2 months later...

Hey guys.... its been a very long while since i posted on this thread. I have since decom my whole tank due to it being overun with with hair algae and diatom and cyno. so, i decided to make the following changes this time round.

aim: to maintain a simple nano with very low nitrates and phosphates levels.

I am now only using 100% pure distilled water from ntuc for evap top-up and a 10% weekly water change. I have also removed all my sand and decided to go bare scape to prevent trapped nutrients. My tank has just completed its cycle 2 days ago. Salinity is at 1.24.... Inside the IOS there is only wool in one chamber and ceramic bio rings in the other.

post-21813-0-25263100-1360319562_thumb.j

Have changed the stock LED to the EVO12 clip on 3Wled x 6. ( 4 white and two actinic blue.) Looks exactly the same as the beamswork ultra bright.. BUt its really bright.. like when i adjusted the angle of the led, it lighted up my room!

post-21813-0-90349600-1360319953_thumb.j

filtration system is an IOS with 2 return pumps..... one is 480l/h flowing straight back into the DP and the other is about 150l/h(quite weak) flowing into a hang on side fuge. Just added the chaetos onto the fuge today. The fuge is a bit of a concern because the flow inside the fuge is ok... the chaeto ball seems to be moving around slowly and "tumbling" but the flow back into the tank is more like a small stream. I have difficulty increasing the flow due to the tight space in the ios for a bigger pump.

post-21813-0-84024500-1360320170_thumb.j

Theres also a 3w led spotlight shining directly at the fuge.... dunno what colour temperature but recommended by ah beng for chaetos..should be less than 10000k ( slight warm yellowish tinge) How long should i switch on this led a day ?

post-21813-0-62417100-1360320541_thumb.j? anyone?

side view of the tank.

post-21813-0-65749600-1360320831_thumb.j

Tank currently only have one tiny normal clwonfish and one rather large peppermint shrimp...gonna be stocking up slowly. still looks very bare gonna add zoas, and gonio. I would really like a RBTA or any other anemone if i can figure out how to get rid of the wavemaker while keeping a moderate flow. hope to keep you guys updated...comments are welcome:)

My clown that I got from ah beng still isn't eating.. I assumed that its pallet trained when I bought it. didn't ask. I normally take a small pallet and rub them untill it's crushed but the clown still not eating for two days.. anyone knows why?

• SRC Member

Very interesting external fuge... can share where to get and cost?

I have an rbta in my 34L Ocean Free and i am running a koralia nano. My rbta hasn't moved since day 1. The trick is to place the anemone in a place it will feel comfortable since day 1. In my limited experience, btas like places with direct light, high flow, and there must be a deep crevice it can stick its foot securely into. With these conditions in place, the bta should secure itself and not move.

• Like 1

• SRC Member

looks like it's the Starpet satellite breeder box.

Anyway if my tank does not have a wavemaker, does it means theres a high chance of survival for the rbta? main reason anemone die mainly is due to the wavemaker right?

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

• SRC Member

Main reason anemone die is poor water conditions. However, anemones are known to move around on their own if they dont like the location you put them in. Sometimes, they wander up your glass and into your wavemaker, where they get chopped up. Realistically speaking, many more anemones survive than get chopped up. Horror stories like this tend to get exaggerated

• SRC Member

Main reason anemone die is poor water conditions. However, anemones are known to move around on their own if they dont like the location you put them in. Sometimes, they wander up your glass and into your wavemaker, where they get chopped up. Realistically speaking, many more anemones survive than get chopped up. Horror stories like this tend to get exaggerated

Tempted to get a rbta too but scared die and i read that once they die, your whole tank will crash...

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

Very interesting external fuge... can share where to get and cost?

I have an rbta in my 34L Ocean Free and i am running a koralia nano. My rbta hasn't moved since day 1. The trick is to place the anemone in a place it will feel comfortable since day 1. In my limited experience, btas like places with direct light, high flow, and there must be a deep crevice it can stick its foot securely into. With these conditions in place, the bta should secure itself and not move.

Yup it's the starpet satellite breeder box I got it at c328 but the last one....but I saw still a few left at equaempire(opposite ah beng)... must hang on the side, And only the 1.2 l one fits the ofnano3:)

both my clownfish died today ... tested water perimeter... all ok. probably because I didn't acclaim it well. I bought it 2days ago and today, it had white stuff and patches all over its body before it died..my peppermint shrimp however, is still doing good..

looks like it's the Starpet satellite breeder box.

Anyway if my tank does not have a wavemaker, does it means theres a high chance of survival for the rbta? main reason anemone die mainly is due to the wavemaker right?[/quote

hmm I wish I can remove my wavemaker... might be too strong... but not enough flow leh. You using the stock return pump?

• SRC Member

both my clownfish died today ... tested water perimeter... all ok. probably because I didn't acclaim it well. I bought it 2days ago and today, it had white stuff and patches all over its body before it died..my peppermint shrimp however, is still doing good..

Sounds like brooklynella that killed off your clownfish. I lost a few pairs to it too

• SRC Member

No idea what causes brooklynella. I've lost a few clownfish to it as well in both my tanks - Henry told me it's water conditions causing the clownfish to be stressed and thus succeptible to the brooklynella. I've had better success with tank raised percula (from iwarna) that are acclimatized very slowly to the tank.

As long as the anemone is happy, it will not die easily. You can tell if it is unhappy. It will start moving from one location to another. I've successfully kept anemones but also had 2 incidents of anemone crashing my tank. I make sure my anemone is fed well.

Pix of my current tank:

EA319ABC-E236-4B6D-BE59-B0CBD0FB955B-676

My Tank Journey

• SRC Member

Yeah bro! that's what killed it... any advice on how to prevent it? was beginning to think something was wrong with my tank..?

Get a good quality clown from LFS.

I had my true perc from CF till now already 4 years old still going strong.

Also try your best to maintain good quality of water in order to prevent outbreak.

2x2x1.5

======

Maxspect Gyre

Maxspect Razer 120w 16k

H2O FR with Rowa

Eheim Universal 2400

BM Nac 5.5

JBJ Arctica 1/10Hp

As long as the anemone is happy, it will not die easily. You can tell if it is unhappy. It will start moving from one location to another. I've successfully kept anemones but also had 2 incidents of anemone crashing my tank. I make sure my anemone is fed well.

Pix of my current tank:

EA319ABC-E236-4B6D-BE59-B0CBD0FB955B-676

Bro you got an extremely nice tank ! 2feet? it looks so much bigger !