My reef tank (without chiller and fan!)

Legent

Hey guys just wanted to share something...

I've done some research and realised that natural ocean temperatures like the Indo Pacific have ocean temperatures of up to 33- 34 degrees.

I've been to certain marine lfs where their tanks are outdoors and the softies in it are still alive and kicking.

So it got me thinking and i've decided to sell my chiller, off my fan and risk it.

And viola! No problem! My soft and lps corals are doing well and I even keep SPS like birdnests, monti caps and a millepora. A few reefers who got something from me saw that I operate without chiller or fan at all. N ive been doing that for 9 months already

I have no air con installed and the tank temperature stays within 30-31 degrees on a very warm day and 26-27 on a rainy day.

Im guessing its not the temperature that matters (unless its really too hot) but the temperature swing that is of more concern.

What are you guys comments? Anyone tried without fan or chiller before?

When the temperature is higher, metabolism increases, livestocks need more food. That got me thinking, have you noticed, there are more fat people in colder countries than over here where it is hotter? :lol::P

Materialism :- He who dies with the most toys, wins.

Hi all, my tank is 40 gallon 2.5 ft.

Equipment is just:

1. mazarra razor 160w 10K

2. MP10 wavemaker

3. AC70 HoB filter running carbon n GFO

4. Chaeto in display tank

The rest are just livestocks.

A little background, this tank was not taken care of for about a month. No calcium and bicarbonate dosing. Family issues and tank neglected. Wanted to decomm but recently cant bear with it and redid the rockscape, moved corals around. Some of the corals are starting to show signs of deterioting.

So the white areas are not STN but the side not exposed to lighting at all.

post-21346-0-92282400-1368191884_thumb.j

post-21346-0-17910800-1368192189_thumb.j

More pics.

Do give me any comments even criticism as I know im not doing anything conventional.

But I have to do disclaimer first what might be ok for me might not be for you! My tank isnt exactly the 'WOW' kind but just to prove that corals can survive higher temperatures. But of course they did that in stages and not immediately.

New acro frag to push the limit :)

post-21346-0-23087200-1368192440_thumb.j

post-21346-0-22543900-1368192473_thumb.j

post-21346-0-59431600-1368192511_thumb.j

post-21346-0-19412000-1368192550_thumb.j

• SRC Member

Wow, tho I'm not into sps, even w softies only, I must say I'm not as bold to try w/o chiller, i remembered telling coolguy last month dat i wanna try w/o both my skimmer n chiller but end up still using it, lol, but really m amazed, many thx for sharing n do update again bro, really interesting

me have atleast 5 times chiller problem in my reefing especially happened during i'm oversea and everytime i lost many corals or almost whole tank crashed :wacko: ... In my experience , 31C for not more than 24hrs is still ok for any coral just stress the corals will not kill them but for few days onward many will die especially most sensitive is not sps but soft finger and leather coral melt away directly ... but in my case , temperature sudden change from 25C to 31C or above ... If slowly raise the temperature take few weeks possible coral can survive for that temperature ...

Legent , your led light and vortech pump will not increase tank temperature :thumbsup: but most heat come from return pump too ... make sure your thermometer are accurate enough not giving wrong reading cause wrong info will misleading reefer hor ... :P

Yeah max temp I see is 31 deg but its during noon only. Not 24hrs.

I can say a few factors enabled me to go without a chiller and fan:

1.My room has no direct sunlight

2. I have ZERO pumps touching the water.

3. The corals are 'conditioned' to this temp slowly from chiller to fan to nothing.

4. I have too much balls (haha)

Yeah max temp I see is 31 deg but its during noon only. Not 24hrs.

I can say a few factors enabled me to go without a chiller and fan:

1.My room has no direct sunlight

2. I have ZERO pumps touching the water.

3. The corals are 'conditioned' to this temp slowly from chiller to fan to nothing.

4. I have too much balls (haha)

• SRC Member

I'm running my tank bet 27-29 degrees using just fans without chiller too!

So I agree it is possible to go without chillers. :)

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Comments are welcome!

Interesting... How do u condition new fishes & corals to your tank?

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

Softies, lps and fishes do well...

For SPS, i'll try to get frags from fellow reefers. But again I dont really do new SPS frags except for montis and other easier SPS's

I see. Thanks for your prompt reply.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

I only tried running my lps tank in the balcony with direct sunlight. And compressor producing hot air.never use chiller . But guess what? I used metal halide last time. Temperature was hovering at ard 34-35degress. No problem. Infact the corals bloom even more. Just that have to face diatom problems lol.

Tank and Equipments Used:-

Tank Size: 3x1.5x2

Return Pump: Eheim 1260

Lighting: DE 36 Inch T5 Retrofit 6 x 39 Watts | 5 ATI Blue Plus & 1 ATI Special Blue.

Wavemaker: 1x WP-40 | 1x SUNSUN 5000ltr/hr

Skimmer: BUBBLE MAGUS C7

Skimz ideas FR: Running ROWAPHOS (FEEDER PUMP: RESUN 1000)

Enductor FR: Running NP Biopellet (FEEDER PUMP: AQUABEE 1000)

Chaeto in sump

~ Watching my tank matures and progressing day by day , gives me great satisfactory

Cheers!