Deadly Spider in Iraq

Michaeleu

• SRC Member

They run 10 mph, jump three feet, are a nocturnal spider, so only come

out at night unless they are in shade. When they bite you, you are

injected with Novocain so you go numb instantly. You don't even know you are bitten when you are sleeping, so you wake up with part of your leg or arm missing because it has been gnawing on it all night long. If you are walking around and you bump something that is casting a shadow over it, and the sun makes contact with it, you better run. It will instantly run for your shadow, and scream the whole time it is chasing you.

PS. The one on the bottom is eating the one on the top. These are Spiders

found daily in IRAQ by troops. Imagine waking up and seeing one of

these in your tent!!

:cry:

post-11-1082391156.jpg

LOL! Those are Camel Spiders. What you see there are two spiders together, dangling.

They are found in arid locales all over the world — including the southwestern United States — not just in the Gulf region. A typical specimen can grow to about the size of a child's hand, but, though they are known for being vicious predators (see video), camel spiders are neither venomous nor a threat to human beings.

They don't eat camels, either.

Video on Camel Spiders

;)

• SRC Member

There is those spider in sg that has real long legs and small round red body when i was in Lim Chu Kang.

those long legs spiders are not scary.. whats scary is when a tarantula jumps on you..hehe.. they are big, fat, thick legs, hairy..hehe

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member

Hi hi... just to contribute what I know...

These are not spiders at all...

They are under class Arachnida same class as spiders but not not spiders probably you would call them spider relatives. The class Arachnida consists of many different orders. If you do not know what I'm saying...

Basically... for classification of all creatures you go by a system starting from Kingdom to Phylum to Class to Order to Family to Genus to Species. So each higher category has a several subcategories below it. In scientific terms this kind of classification is called taxonomy.

Ok back to Arachnida. Arachnida contains many different orders and commonly how you can identify an arachnid is that they have eight legs the rest of the details I will not go into. Some common non-spider arachnids include scorpions, horseshoe crabs, mites, ticks, daddy-long-legs etc.

The picture shown is a Solifuge. It is also commonly known as a "sun spider, camel spider or windscorpion". It belongs to the order Solifugae if I've not remembered wrongly. Not poisonous, lots of meat, greedy eaters, relatively poor sense of sight and voracious eaters of insects. They are not found in Singapore but many part of Africa where it is drier. Solifugae belong to a group of small Arachnid orders whereby relatively little is known about them and they consist of much fewer species. Most of them are rather primitive looking like the one you see here... other smaller arachnid groups would include your Uropygi, Amblygygi, Pseudoscorpiones, Ricinulei and a few more whihc I can't really remember gotta refer.

Oh and it is NOT a tarantula, Tarantulas are TRUE spiders belonging to the order Aranaeae. They belong to a class of old world spiders and are considered primitive compared to other spiders. An easy way to confirm if a spider is indeed a tarantula is to check the bottom of its abdomen, it should have two pairs of "book lungs". Ok shall stop at the details here... Ermmm... as for the more advanced spiders... I believe the most advanced ones would be of the order Salticidae, they are all your jumping spiders...

Live and Let Live