For those who have not changed water

I know some reefers here who are rather pleased with the fact that they have never done a water change... perhaps this article here will change your minds on the benefits of water changes for your reef tank's sake.

:)

A fresh water change is like a breath of fresh air after being stuck in a enclosed room full of people farting, sweating and burping after having a meal of curry, durian and whipped potatoes!

From my experience, there are so much immediate benefits that I wonder why its so unmotivational when you will see corals having a growth spurt, looking better, having microlife explode again, stopping nuisance algae in their tracks until the nutrient levels creep up again...

so get off your lazy butts, ye scurvy dogs and do that water change now! :pirate:

Yep, I changed at least 20% every week. No choice, my tank is small.

Wah AT, you post this article at 3am? Can't sleep?

I usually go to bed at 5am these days.... ;)

Keeping SRC alive, interesting by posting stuff, giving advice, answering PMs & managing flame wars means the Administrator and the Mods have to work hard so that the reefing community in Singapore is happy and satisfied.

AT

Keeping SRC alive, interesting by posting stuff, giving advice, answering PMs & managing flame wars means the Administrator and the Mods have to work hard so that the reefing community in Singapore is happy and satisfied.

AT

THNAKS...for all the hardwork..appericate much...for this wonderful fourm... :thanks::bow:

• SRC Member

AT

:whistle

:bow::D

Bevor Sie das Licht sehen, müssen Sie sterben!

• SRC Member

No one believes me that my tank is only 45 litres (about 10 gallons). Changing water is so easy. Just use a jug. Not much in it, actually, just life rock, ? number of crabs, 2 feather dusters, 2 sponges, one goby and one boxer shrimp. I feed twice weekly only. (mysis, frozen plankton and roti-rich). I change water every month but I continuously top up with a drip system. ;)

• SRC Member
No one believes me that my tank is only 45 litres (about 10 gallons). Changing water is so easy. Just use a jug. Not much in it, actually, just life rock, ? number of crabs, 2 feather dusters, 2 sponges, one goby and one boxer shrimp. I feed twice weekly only. (mysis, frozen plankton and roti-rich). I change water every month but I continuously top up with a drip system. ;)

Wah continuous drip water change? interesting! How u do it?

• SRC Member

guys... i changed water today for the first time since end-of-cycle water change...

corals really "opened" up! :lol:

however the skimmer has a problem foaming... (EV-120)

you guys who frequently do water changes, any advise? is it normal?

i presume its due to the change in salinity... ;)

• SRC Member
I just received 20 Gallons of distilled water from Polar. Cost quite reasonable at $8/5gallons

I used to get it a package of 32x 5 gallon bottles of oxygenated distilled water@$6

per bottle from ProLife. They will deliver 4 at a time. I use it for drinking and for water change.

Really see a lot of difference when using distilled water back then. :D:D

My neighbour who worked at PUB Kranji said that every day at fix time PUB will release NEWWATER to the drain. He said that I can collect it from the release pipe outside the fence if I want to. I was overjoyed when I heard that but then, thinking of the back breaking work to carry 6x 5 gallon container, snap me back to reality. :(

Maybe those who want to take this opportunity to start part time business of delivering NEWWATER to reefers can do so.

Quite interesting thing that PUB is doing. Everyday our government is asking to save water, and yet PUB throwing newwater into the drain. Producing newwater also uses some form of electrical energy. So throwing away the just-produced newwater also a waste of electricity.

Member of :
post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F

MASS in Facebook

Reefing in LED

• SRC Member
Quite interesting thing that PUB is doing. Everyday our government is asking to save water, and yet PUB throwing newwater into the drain. Producing newwater also uses some form of electrical energy. So throwing away the just-produced newwater also a waste of electricity.

PUB already mentioned that the Newater will be drain to Kranji reservoir.

But only excess Newater not consume by the factory. They don't have big storage to store process Newater anyway. It make sense to push it to the reservoir.

• SRC Member

I have heard rumours from other aquarists that they have observed ill effects when newater was introduced, esp for very sensitive lifestock. However, there is probably no basis for this rumour.

However, I noticed a 'tap water' filter recently.... i wonder if this is the same ones as in those water coolers..... will that be effective?

Going even more off topic..... anyone ever actually tested those 'anti chlorine' stuff?