Test Kits - Which Brand And Where To Buy?

I'm new to this hobby and currently have 0 test kits. I was wondering if you know which is the best value for money test kits to buy and where to buy from? My second question is I have a eletronic salt meter but its readings are in percentages. I bought it for my pond. And my pond is currently at 0.3 % salt. How do I convert this reading to the specific gravity reading? If its possible?

• SRC Member

The pond electric salinometer is not suitable for use in saltwater because seawater conductivity is out of the range it is designed for.

Get Salifert or Seachem testkits. The rest are cheaper but are unreliable or just don't work.

For starters, get ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

After cycling, get alkalinity, calcium and phosphate.

You'll need pH too but prefereably an electronic meter.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

wats the use of saving up ur $$ and buying those nice expensice fishes,corals when u r not even sure if ur water parameters are ready for them.

not trying to be sacarstic, but this is one expensive hobby. some things u can try to save on, some u simply cannot.

are test kits reali needed for reef keeping .....i have no money to buy them....can i borrow them from my friend???are they needed oftenly ???

If you are planning a reef system. Better get your test kits. There are no substitutes.

If you are only planning on keep a FOWLR, and hardy marine fishes, you can afford to do away with many of the test kits. This is provided that you are not adding a lot of LSs to your tank.

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Hi! I'm using salifert test kits and my tank is cycling. But everytime I test for ammonia the result is white which correspond to <0.5. i even introduce raw prawn inside but still the same results. aren't i suppose to get verry high ammonia at the beginning of cycling. is it test kit problem? please advise? thanx

• SRC Member
Hi! I'm using salifert test kits and my tank is cycling. But everytime I test for ammonia the result is white which correspond to <0.5. i even introduce raw prawn inside but still the same results. aren't i suppose to get verry high ammonia at the beginning of cycling. is it test kit problem? please advise? thanx

All,

i am facin' the same prob as scarab. i hv recently converted my 3ft wif canister filtration in2 a 3ft wif sump filtration. now in my 4th wk of cyclin'. ever since the 1st day of cyclin', i hv been testin' my ammonia, nitrite and nitrate wif Salifert test kit averagely abt 3dayz per test. i tot it suppose 2 hv a spike in the increase of ammonia in the 3rd wk but unfortunately my tests r pretty constant since day 1. till now, in my 4th wk, still the readin' haz not change much.

duno if it'z a test kit prob??? if it 'z, dun tell me all my test kits (ammonia / nitrite / nitrate) all got prob as all of them gave the same result since the day 1.

• SRC Member

All,

i am facin' the same prob as scarab. i hv recently converted my 3ft wif canister filtration in2 a 3ft wif sump filtration. now in my 4th wk of cyclin'. ever since the 1st day of cyclin', i hv been testin' my ammonia, nitrite and nitrate wif Salifert test kit averagely abt 3dayz per test. i tot it suppose 2 hv a spike in the increase of ammonia in the 3rd wk but unfortunately my tests r pretty constant since day 1. till now, in my 4th wk, still the readin' haz not change much.

duno if it'z a test kit prob??? if it 'z, dun tell me all my test kits (ammonia / nitrite / nitrate) all got prob as all of them gave the same result since the day 1.

i have readings for nitrite which is going down. haven't tested for nitrate. it is ammonia test that is really puzzling me. water looks cloudy so i thot ammonia will be high but it's not.

• SRC Member

i have readings for nitrite which is going down. haven't tested for nitrate. it is ammonia test that is really puzzling me. water looks cloudy so i thot ammonia will be high but it's not.

scarab,

mine lookz cloudy 2. how do u know tat ur ammonia iz not high since ur test iz cloudy 2??? u use another brand of test kit 2 re-confirm???