Earthquake kills more than 144,000 in Asia

damien

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

The tremor was felt in KL too. When I returned home just past 9 am this morning after checking on my new FOWLR tank, I saw my fellow resident and his wife looking up at the apartment, I asked him what he is doing so early in the morning, he said he felt the tremor on the 22 floor of his apartment and his wind chime and lights were shaking. My friend from Penang also told me of the tremors felt in Penang and were all evacuated from their apartments.

What a castrophe!

• SRC Member
The tremor was felt in KL too. When I returned home just past 9 am this morning after checking on my new FOWLR tank, I saw my fellow resident and his wife looking up at the apartment, I asked him what he is doing so early in the morning, he said he felt the tremor on the 22 floor of his apartment and his wind chime and lights were shaking. My friend from Penang also told me of the tremors felt in Penang and were all evacuated from their apartments.

What a castrophe!

termors not just felt in penang, the waves also hit penang...

Gosh... About 10,226 people were killed and thousands more were missing... this is MAJOR DISASTER!!

A wholesaler friend feels that all his collection centres in Sumatra may be entirely wiped out... he has been trying to call them since this morning and there is zero response. They are near the epicentre.

I believe the ecological disaster has not been reported yet.... and it will have consequences to our hobby. I am sure many reefs are now broken.

• SRC Member

Pity...

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member

Heard in the news that the wave height was 10m and the speed was at 500km/h! That is insanely fast! A formula 1 car top speed is ard 320km/h. 1 more thing to ponder, what happened to the ships that was travelling at that area? CNN is showing a computer rendition of the size of the waves that was caused by the undersea earthquake.

those ships out at deep sea will just bob up with the increased water height and they may not even know that a tsunami is developing....only when this increased water height of the waves breaks suddenly at the shores....that's where all the destruction lies....that's why so far u dun hear any ocean liners or cargo tankers getting into big trouble in the news....

only coastal shores destruction.

Unless you diving at the shoreline in the direct path of the Tsunami, you should be fine.

Here's a report from a diver at Phuket.

report from Richelieu rock

Tsunami survivor describes underwater horror

By Karen Kaufman

"Our boat was lucky. We saw a cruise liner stuck near the islands with three people dead," said Londoner Naomi Hayim from her boat off the coast of Phuket yesterday.

Hayim, who is deaf, and 13 other people (including another deaf person) were diving at Richelieu Rock, a collection of submerged pinnacles renowned for its visiting whale sharks north of the Surin Islands (about 60 kilometers off the west coast of Phang Nga province) when the tsunami hit.

"We realized that the wave went right over us as we were diving," she said yesterday via SMS messaging on her cell phone. She said the giant wave created a whirlpool with incredibly strong currents. The divers were swept under, completely losing each other and severely hampered by poor visibility. All 14 eventually surfaced and found each other, though an exhausted Hayim could not be certain yesterday how long they had actually been submerged. Luckily all 14 were unharmed.

Hayim, 26, was brought up in London's Maida Vale and is a divemaster and marine biologist. She also studied clown fish and sea anemones at the Institute of Marine Biology in Eilat in 2000. A battle with meningitis when she was just a baby left her deaf. She has never, however, let this stop her from doing anything she put her mind to and graduated from Queen Mary, University of London with a degree in marine and freshwater biology.

Hayim is part of Worldwide Dive and Sail, a company that offers seven-day sailing and diving trips aboard a 21-meter yacht. Her ability to lip-read and sign enable her to teach deaf and hard-of-hearing people how to dive.

The yacht left Phuket on Friday for what was supposed to be a week-long underwater adventure for holiday-makers who joined from Britain, the Netherlands and Austria. There were no Israelis on board - as Naomi put it "I'm the only Jew here."

Yesterday afternoon, the boat and its dozen passengers turned back toward Phuket, but by early evening they were instructed to stay out at sea for fear of aftershocks and because the port at Phuket had been ruined.

Hayim said that they are now waiting to hear from the Thai authorities when they will be able to go back to land. As the trip was due to last a week, the boat still has enough food and equipment for several more days.

Hayim's group was one of several diving excursions that were at sea when the tsunami struck. "We are very lucky that nothing terrible happened," she said last night.

• SRC Member

Hope all the victims get their relief supplies in time. Drinking water is especially important for them right now. If their water supplies has been contaminated with sea water, I can't imagine how it might feel. I really pity those that were swept away, especially those that can't swim.

Bro Roidan, in 1 of the pics in the links you provided, there was a person in the pictures that was being swept as the waves came in toward the hotel. Accidentally enlarge the pics and saw the face among the bubbling waters. Hope he is alright.

• SRC Member
My heart goes out to all who have suffered through this incident...

May the lost souls find their way back to the gates of St.Petersburg.

Amen~

:cry2:  :cry2:  :cry2:

brother...not all of them christians...most dun go st peters

latest news in thailand is a member of the royal family has been lost...the king's nephew was killed...will be going to island in east tomorrow to play...should be safer there

the island is koh chang in the http://www.ethaiguide.com/topdivesite.asp

My heart goes out to all who have suffered through this incident...

May the lost souls find their way back to the gates of St.Petersburg.

Amen~

:cry2::cry2::cry2:

St Petersburg = a place in Russia

St Peter = Gatekeeper of Heaven

Pearly Gates = Gates of Heaven.......if I'm not mistaken.

by the way, as of 1930hrs, 20,000 dead or missing and counting.

• SRC Member

i was thinking about something, if a nuclear weapon, which is man's most powerful weapon were to explode at the epic center of this earthquake, no one in sri lanka will be killed straight away...the only effect is the radiation....but look at the power of mother nature....man's most powerful weapon is no match at all

• SRC Member

A close friend's family business on fishery export in Penang suffered HUGE losses...

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

i was thinking about something, if a nuclear weapon, which is man's most powerful weapon were to explode at the epic center of this earthquake, no one in sri lanka will be killed straight away...the only effect is the radiation....but look at the power of mother nature....man's most powerful weapon is no match at all

how about biological weapons? capable of far reaching consequences.

anyway, I just hope that the aftershocks that occur will not cause monster size tsunamis.

Thanks for the correction.

But i think moaning for the death is more impt than correcting spelling errors right now isnt it?

Death toll still piling...

May God have mercy on them~

:(:(:(:cry:

it's rather important actually. the difference between St Peter and St Petersburg is as different as a quarter pounder in the US and in Europe. *Pulp Fiction. hur hur*

and yes.

God speed to the victims and their families.