Earthquake kills more than 144,000 in Asia

damien

• SRC Member

This is one of the reasons Ive stopped reading the newspaper.....U start Ur day with things that are soooo depressing.......Afganistan....Irag....Palestine....Thailand.....now this.....

Will we ever get to close our eyes & not worry about the future of our youngs.....U read all this stuff...U watch it on TV....then U look at the innocents of Ur sleeping children & U hope & pray soooo much that they will grow up & enjoy life & U get to see it till the Almighty come calling..... :(

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Read the new paper juz now.. look at the headline.. i feel the pain when parents is there yet cant save own child...( pg 2," i just counldn't hold on any longer").. and a 3yr old boy, who cant locate his mom. (pg 4, "He was crying non-stop for his parents." ) cant imagine how lost he can be..

MY TEARS Welled up when i see the PIC of those who are gone..(pg 8, "a western tourist leaving the morgue, where pictures of the dead are posted on the wall")

Deepest condolence..

The full horror of things has yet to come. Many of the living are badly affected even as we sit here in our air-con offices and comfortable homes.

Disease and lack of proper sanitation, medical supplies, food and drinking water is the top worry now. We are talking about A MILLION homeless here.... imagine if you are there, grieving, hungry, sick and homeless... it will be anarchy soon unless aid is given quickly!

Please donate to the SRC fund for these victims. It will be given to SRC (singapore red cross) which will then determine how the money will be best spent.

Do all you can now as an individual. Collectively as a group, we can make a big difference to at least three times more people!

There must be a few hundred kids who have lost their entire family... no hope... no future.

DONATE TO THE SRC TSUNAMI DISASTER FUND-RAISING PROJECT NOW

• SRC Member

this quake alone has shifted much of asia northwards.....

my school (jjc) just send a few pupils to medan to help build a school...and then a tidal waves destroyed medan....i really got nothing to say....but now wondering if my school will be sending any more people there to help

Asian disaster toll surges past 55,000.

The latest as of 29/12.

An excerpt: In Aceh province, a lone SOS call from police in cut-off Meulaboh said looting had broken out and starvation loomed.

"If within three to four days relief does not arrive, there will be a starvation disaster that will cause mass deaths," chief police detective Rilo Pambudi said in the e-mail, released by officials in Jakarta.

Another excerpt: "We need antibiotics, bandages, IV fluids and things like that," top relief co-ordinator Lalith Weeratunga told AFP. "Our challenge is to get a well co-ordinated system, things are slowly falling into place."

Do your part to help... http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...topic=27070&hl=

• SRC Member

55 thousand........................

Oh man, greatest killer........

It's not included missing person yet......................

This a few day I don't want to watch TV anymore. Keep seeing all those dead body, look like they are helpless. Baby crying, parent crying........

Watching that gave me heart pain and realize how difficult our life is.

Nothing we could do from home. Let donate and pray ( eventhough I never like to pray cause never come true )

May all your soul rest in peace........ ( I know their soul didn't rest in peace since they struggle a lot.

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member

nvr i imagine i reaches the opposite side of the world....... :o:o:o

The Statesman - Dec 28 1:22 PM

Dec. 28. North and South America felt tsunami s effect today as it moved eastwards over North and South Pacific Ocean. It moved exactly in the opposite direction from Sumatra, through the Indian Ocean, to crash into the eastern coasts of Africa, with water rising over 10 feet.

Indonesian officials have revised the island nation's death toll dramatically upward to 27,174, boosting the overall toll from Sunday's tsunamis to 56,029. Rescuers today finally reached remote areas, like Aceh province. Once there, they found massive destruction. "The center of Banda Aceh has been absolutely devastated," reported CNN's Mike Chinoy.

updated as of 1142hrs local time.

• SRC Member

"Tsunami death toll surges past 68,000 amid epidemic fears" - Headline on CNA webby.

Allow me to sidetrack a bit. it's rather interesting to see that for once CNN is not as updated as the asian couterparts like CNA (fyi, CNN currently reports the deathtoll at 56,029). Perhaps amidst the chaos, this is an opportunity for CNA and other regional broadcasters to prove their timeliness and accuracy in reporting.

• SRC Member
I've been watching most updates on BBC and CNA. Gave up on CNN during the Gulf War. Their reporting are somehow biased.

quite true about CNN being biased in their reporting.

the early snippets of the tsunamis chaos showed only expats in Phuket.

it is the locals who really got the short end of the stick. :cry2:

come on CNN, be realistic .... :angry::angry:

• SRC Member
this video clip was filmed by someone in a Phuket resort when the waves just came in.... :cry:

http://nicholas.proximuz.us/tsunamiphuket.wmv

Pls help out in whatever way that u can.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...topic=27070&hl=

the couple on the left was swept off by the waves.........probably cant make it liao, this is sickening :cry2: