Nori

Achilles Tang

Don't give up so easily.

This is very nutritious for fish....

Why don't you clip it with your lettuce.... let they recognize that its food also... soon they will be eating it!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Yep don't give up, I tried it on Monday, only my neon Damsel ate it when it was attached to the magnet. Guess what, yesterday, I throw a few small piece right into the tank, My pokerdot grouper and Red Band Wrasse snatches at it. After which, my Koran, blue tank and foxface join in as well, they are happily eating the nori now :D I think the way to go is not to feed them the whole day and then fool them that these are the normal food that you will throw in. Break it into small piece the first few time, once they are used to it, then you could throw in large chuck of it.

• 9 months later...
  • SRC Member
Hi folks,

A lot of people get stumped when the word 'Nori' is mentioned.

It's a common ingredient in our daily lives, especially here in Asia. It's simply dried seaweed.

It's used for soups, noodle dishes, sushi and even confectionary (not really the same kind we should feed our fishes).

Nori can come as dried seaweed clumps (these are found in the Dried Goods or Condiments section) or they can be rolled flat and are usually baked or roasted (such as found in the confectionary section in supermarts).

Tangs love to eat Nori as would other seaweed eating fishes... some cardinals are known to eat Nori too. I had a flame angel who ate nori too.

noripacket.jpg

Here's a common brand under which Nori is packed and sold in NTUC supermarket. I think its only 90 cents to a dollar for one packet. And it will last a very long time!

noripacket2.jpg

It's the purple seaweed variety. Haven't seen the green variety around. When you soak it in water long enough, the water will turn purplish red. Sometimes I soak my nori in garlic juice before feeding my tangs.

nori.jpg

It's dried and crispy, easily broken into small pieces. Once soaked in water, they will become soft and break apart when the tangs rip it apart. It does take some time for nori to become soft enough to break apart so you'll see your tangs doing a tug-of-war with each other or the clip!

Well, hope that solves the mystery for some of you... it's more familiar than you think... go grocery shopping more often with your mamma or wifey!

;) Achilles Tang

Hi AT .. guess wad.. i've saved ur posting (i forgotten i have save it)about nori b4 it crash... i'll add it here..

What is Nori?

Nori is dried seaweed that is high in fiber, protein, vitamins and minerals.

Compared with dairy products, seaweed provides up to ten times more calcium and iron by weight, and contains other important trace minerals. It's no wonder that the Japanese who love seaweed lead long healthy lives.

Here's a link with more info on the nutritional profile of seaweed and another here!

So back to nori...?

Yup... it's the same dried seaweed that you put in your chinese dishes and soup! I believe it is classified as red/purple seaweed.

Don't get the wrong kind! You don't want the toasted and flavoured kind which the Japanese use for confectionary or as snacks.

I have been feeding my marine fishes, especially tangs with Nori since I heard about it. It's easy to find and cheap too!

You can buy a packet of vacuum-packed dried seaweed in the traditional chinese dried products section of your local NTUC supermarket. It's only like $1 a pack and if you buy it from chinese dried goods shops or even provision shops... it's possibly a lot cheaper and a whole lot more than you, your family and your fishes can consume in a long long time!

Alternatively, you can find Julian Sprung's Two Little Fishes brand of Seaweed Selects which more or less the same thing but at 50 times the price!

Anyway... this is how I feed nori to my fishes.

Dry and straight out of the bag: Dry nori will take time to soak in saltwater and then sink... by then it may be sucked into the overflow. Soaking your nori for a few minutes in saltwater before dumping in will ensure this doesn't happen.

Presoaked in good stuff: I tear pieces of nori into a airtight container... slosh in garlic juice, Selcon (a good Omega-3 supplement), Zoecon (vitamins and other stuff that is good for fishes and corals)... and within seconds, the nori has soaked up the liquids... ready for feeding. If I want smaller bits, I take a scissors and cut the soaked nori mass... when you use a finger to scoop out, it will break into many tiny pieces for your fishes to chase after.

Depending on the feeding habits of your fishes and their fussiness.. you can cut the nori to tiny bits or you can leave long strands that you can even tie to a piece of rock or a pvc pipe for them to graze.

My experience is that it is much better to shred it to tiny pieces rather than feeding long strips because they will float around and if they entangle on a coral long enough... it may irritate the coral enough to produce a lot of slime to 'fight' it off.

Nori is an all natural food which herbivorous fish will not be able to resist.... even a powder blue tang which I got that refuse to eat frozen food and pellets and only graze on liverock algae for a month... eventually ate nori bits which could fit into its mouth... larger bits it ignored!

Because Nori is high in protein and in nutrition, once your tangs are feeding off nori... you can be sure that they will put on weight in no time and be strong enough to pull through any negative effects of stress that they encounter. Because nori absorbs garlic juices and other supplementary vitamins, your tangs will be grateful for the good stuff that you are feeding them.

The best thing about nori is that uneaten nori is greedily eaten by hermit crabs and even copepods!

• 3 weeks later...
Hi folks,

It's a common ingredient in our daily lives, especially here in Asia. It's simply dried seaweed.

It's used for soups, noodle dishes, sushi and even confectionary (not really the same kind we should feed our fishes).

Nori can come as dried seaweed clumps (these are found in the Dried Goods or Condiments section) or they can be rolled flat and are usually baked or roasted (such as found in the confectionary section in supermarts).

Tangs love to eat Nori as would other seaweed eating fishes... some cardinals are known to eat Nori too. I had a flame angel who ate nori too.

noripacket.jpg

Here's a common brand under which Nori is packed and sold in NTUC supermarket. I think its only 90 cents to a dollar for one packet. And it will last a very long time!

noripacket2.jpg

It's the purple seaweed variety. Haven't seen the green variety around. When you soak it in water long enough, the water will turn purplish red. Sometimes I soak my nori in garlic juice before feeding my tangs.

nori.jpg

It's dried and crispy, easily broken into small pieces. Once soaked in water, they will become soft and break apart when the tangs rip it apart. It does take some time for nori to become soft enough to break apart so you'll see your tangs doing a tug-of-war with each other or the clip!

Well, hope that solves the mystery for some of you... it's more familiar than you think... go grocery shopping more often with your mamma or wifey!

;) Achilles Tang

Hi,

AT do tomato clownfish and nemo like nori? Thks

• SRC Member
tks guys.. so touched.

anyway I buy one pack. not much fish is eating it leh..

it floating ard in my tank n hang over my seafan..

gives my whole tank a ..bushy airy.. look.. haha..

Mark,

dun buy the one AT recommended. :heh: hehehe no offense AT bro.

What I mean is you can get it cheaper plus bigger pack from medical shops. They sell the unpreserved made in china stuff for $0.70 and almost 3 times more than NTUC pack. I'm using that for almost 3 months. All my fishes are eating it now. It takes about a week to get them used to it. Starve them enough and they will eat it.

My flame angel,orchid dotty, firefish, 8line wrasse, purple tang, yellow tang and kole tang are all eating it. Even my cleaner shrimp too.

I cut the dried nori into tiny bits, then soak it in alittle tank water together with alot of garlic guard and kent zoecon. Feed the next day and it will not float anymore. Keep refrigerated.

Cheers.

No offense taken... I did in fact mention that these are available at Chinese dry goods/provision shops.

It's for those who don't have the time or idea where to hunt for these except at NTUC or other supermarts!

:)

• SRC Member
No offense taken... I did in fact mention that these are available at Chinese dry goods/provision shops.

It's for those who don't have the time or idea where to hunt for these except at NTUC or other supermarts!

:)

:P

We have AT to thank for this wonderful idea!!! I really really appreciate this cos this is the main thing I feed to my fishes now.

And it was only after knowing this method of feeding with garlic soaked nori, that I developed the courage to keep ich infested tangs. Its the big difference between knowing what to give them to eat to prevent or reduce ich. And this method really really rocks!!!

And best of all its SO SO CHEAP!!!! One pack of 70cent nori can last me 1 month at least. No more paying $$$ to famous amos branded foodstuff.

Thanks AT. :bow:

• SRC Member

:paiseh::paiseh::paiseh:

Get up! Get up! :D

:eyeblur:<_<<_<<_<

:lol:

Planetg, I keep it in a air tight tupperware. Those cheap cheeky bunny brand from NTUC. It has to be refrigerated otherwise it will go bad.

Bwilly,

Yup I got a Kole Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang and last night I just got a powder blue. And guess what!!! It started to eat a little of the soaked nori after only half an hr of placing him in the tank. I even gave him a freshwater bath over the running tap. :heh:

• SRC Member

I tried my first nori feeding last night. Nothin ate it. No even my bi-colour angel and yellow tang. Every fish ignore it or even "siam" from the floating nori :eyeblur:

No luck for me. Both AT and PBT still feeding on water now.

By the way, is nori purple colour wan after soaking?

• SRC Member

Hon,

dun give up. It took me a full week before the #$@#@ fishes realised they are not going to get anything else to eat unless they show me they LUVVV the stuff. hehehe

Soak the nori in some tank water, garlic guard and zoecon(or some other vitamin and amino acid additive for those lucky bastards).

And yes nori is purplish almost redish in colour after soaking. Its the high iodine content (phosporus too I think) that gives it the red colouring.

And dun forget to cut it into very very small pieces. These spoilt brats seem to prefer small pieces slightly bigger than the largest brine shrimp.

Cheers

• SRC Member

Yeah my fishes ignored the nori too. Now I know better 2 cut it up into bit-sized-tiny pieces & 2 garlic-soak them. Cookiemunster, thanx 4 the info, it definitely helps - especially 4 some who gave up after a few tries & let the nori "rot" in the cabinet instead.

Aren't our fishes a spoilt bunch? ... LOL

• 2 months later...
Hi folks,

noripacket.jpg

noripacket2.jpg

nori.jpg

;) Achilles Tang

Hi, AT.

Can I used garlic that we eat for the soak? If yes, how to go about doing it? Can we just cut the raw garlic into small piece and then soak it with the nori?

Thanks.

• SRC Member

I did this...

Just lightly crush many chunks of garlic with the blade of a cleaver and put them into a small quantity of water then bring them to the boil...

Voila...you have concentrated garlic juice which also is bacteria-free since heating takes away much much harmful bacteria...IMO... :)

been using this method for quite some time liao... :)