Couple sue for broken fish tank

roidan

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Hey guys, I was looking at the newspaper report, and a few things struck me:

1. The 1st incident was that the tank was leaking and cabinet rotting at the edges, as claimed by the customers. QH came and replaced it, but cited overchilling leading to water condensation outside the tank leading to the above situation.

2. QH then replaced the tank.. This means QH had to know that it was used for marine of course? Dont tell me in the whole course of customer interaction, the company didnt ask "what was the tank used for?". Moreover, the corals and fishes had to be removed from e first tank to transplant into the new tank...this, if the customers were telling the truth....

So in light of the above facts, i believe the customers do have a right to seek proper compensation...... :P

Get Paid To Read Emails. Free To Join Now!

http://www.emailcashpro.com/?r=okdk11

• SRC Member

the couple claims is a bit unusally also....consider i have 15k worth of equipment and 5k worth of LS and i'm using a $600++ tank?????

also, i believe the 15k worth of equipment are all designed for marine???? so, why are these damage when it flooded???? what sort of marine equipment are they using that can't stand salt water flood?????

While i beleive that a customer should have the rights to seek compensation, some of the claims that this couple stated is quite silly...if indeed they can obtain 15k as compensation .... the day will come where we can start sueing Macs for millions...... :shock:

Yes, I agree. The most a compensation of a new tank will do but compensation of $20,000 for "emotional trauma" is insane!!!!!

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member

The arms of law in Singapore is getting longer these days, it'll be interesting to know the results.

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member

the only stuff that could get damaged for 15k outsuide the tank on the floor is the chiller and maybe an external pump.. max maybe 2k also la... 15k for what? tank crack so sudden surge of pressure so a vacuum was created ###### all the equipment downwards to the floor destroying the lights and everything... even that also not up till 15k! and his wife... 20k for emotionally being incapacitated for loosing the frogfish OF ALL MARINE CREATURES!

sheesh the more i read this article the more i wanna meet this god forsaken duo! :angry:

The world is such a wicked place,war btween the human race. People work to earn their bread,while across the sea they're counting dead

emmm what u tnk guyz. This couple might start a precident for all of us. No problem tank almost crash just break it. lose LS and corals but gain money . wow.

so BEWARE all ILF. heheh. phew fortunately me not in this biz. 10 people behave like this soon we the real REEFers suffers. heheehhe. no stock all shop shutdown.

It's obvious that this couple is out to fleece the max out of QH. :rolleyes:

If it did happen to my tank.... perhaps only I can claim such an amount! ;) Perhaps twice the amount! Considering the amount of SPS corals in my tank! :heh:

And claimed trauma for my dog who probably have to swim for his life! ;)

And you can probably try to scam them by saying your dog lost all of its hair in fright :lol: :lol:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member

lol salt water damage marble floor??? lolx thats something new

i have salt water all over my floor once till next day morning, floor still sparkling clean after wipping...

and not knowing FIRST the thickness of the fish tank and the difference between a SALT water tank and a FRESH water tank is the consumers fault. U guys think the tank really crack on its own???

From what i researched, tanks don't normally crack for no reason, unless hit by a sharp point. Fish tanks normally leak ONLY at the side or more serious give way due to the intense pressure. There isnt sufficent evidence or witness there to see the tank crack on its own;) ...

• SRC Member
the only stuff that could get damaged for 15k outsuide the tank on the floor is the chiller and maybe an external pump.. max maybe 2k also la... 15k for what? tank crack so sudden surge of pressure so a vacuum was created ###### all the equipment downwards to the floor destroying the lights and everything... even that also not up till 15k! and his wife... 20k for emotionally being incapacitated for loosing the frogfish OF ALL MARINE CREATURES!

sheesh the more i read this article the more i wanna meet this god forsaken duo! :angry:

Rilek brudder Shiraz....you `darah manis' (translated = sweet blood).....so angry for what....still young...not yet married :lol::lol::lol:

This make me think....we should list down what we have in our tank & what we use for our tank....at least whatever claim that we have is proven with the price that we seeking.....

yap , AT I think better take pics for every single 1 coz later will be easier to claim hehehhe. Ur dog too better prove u buy an expensive shampoo .LOL.

well as much as I want to be compesate if it happen to me I wish QH d very best and the couple will only get what they only deserved.

• SRC Member

I believe this couple were sold this tank as used for Marine. Since QH replease the tank mean , they are totally aware of the usage.

This couple may be buying from the very ex shop, like selling 30$ / kg of LR. 3,000 $ for a skimmer, 150$ for Phosphate Remover.... this is not a joke, there are so many LFS out there selling this price and driving a good car....

So I won't suprise for spending 15K on equipment. Who know may be they pay 500 for HF 20 ?

So we don't know what equipment they have. However, since first tank was leak and replaced with new one, new one crack and gone. In light of law, it's like defect. So they have to replace new one or cost ( and most likey that they have to pay compansation ).

How much I don't know, if they can prove they paid 30$ /kg and they have 100Kg of LR than already 3,000$. Chiller , they paid 3,000 because of energy saving ( sort of rock hah, but one LFS selling like that ). so just work out, you might across 20K.

In case of funiture, QH might have to bare, if court find it's their fault. Yes has to. Law provide to protect ppl ( esp english law ).

Oh yea BTW, I spent over 10K for my 3' SPS tank, but my tank is only 180$ while my Ca cost almost 1K. As long as it's suit for requirement, $ is not mean any more.

In first a few day of my marine life, I paid 120$ for 3' PL light, so just think of it. So many ppl out there making good money.....

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

I think it'll be good to have rules to instil some sense of responsibility in tank-makers. You don't stick 5 pieces of glass together and hope nothing happens for the next ten years.

But $100k?!? Hehe... maybe we should all start selling marine stuff if there are that many free-spenders out there. Everything except tanks of course.

:lol:

• SRC Member

Wow so interesting... will you guys mind a differing view...

I think based on the facts (info supplied by the newspapers, assuming it to be true), QH will be very lucky to get away with anything less than 10k for the damages. I think, if QH is smart, they will seek an out-of-court settlement to the matter. They certainly won't get away with anything less than $5000.... court cost will cost them more than $5000 and lawyers cost money too... and if it is dragged further... it will be even more and reputation is at risk too.

If the couple is smart, they will seek for a court ruling, as it is very clear that QH is negligent in the matter... the case will be fought on the amt of compensation.... 20k is not big sum for this, besides damages to property, the court will often look at the plaintiff's "station-in-life" to derive on total amt. Its quite a reasonable sum, immho.

• SRC Member

i beg to differ.....if QH has a strong case, to win, then the couple might be ending up paying most of QH bills. As a matter of business (provided they have a strong case), they will be force to accept the legal action, becuase winning the case would reduce the possiblity of them being sued in furture incident, while settleing out of court might end up with more people coming forward to make claims - although it might be worst if they loss the case....

guess QH would have to balance the risk

• SRC Member

How about this,

QH sold this tank as marine tank and over sold ( like no water change for 1 year, no crack , bla bla , sound familier huh ), than .........

If newspaper is truely reported and QH oversold their product, than definately QH would settle out of the court to save their life,

if either of that is not true they might follow tineng. However, if I were their lawyer and the case is true, I would advise QH to avoid court....... ( Anyway I am not a lawyer )

I didn't know that we have lawyer reefer here :P

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member

Mr. Yap go lots of contacts in the government leh...almost every important political dinner he also attend... even last year's national day video also got his face on it. First fish farm to get listed in SGX...

But I can see that Yap is sincere to refurbish money to the couple but not at that exhorbital amount... always wise to settle out of court for a listed company but looks like the couple is watching too much "The Practice" or "Ally McBeal". ;)

post-54-1107833267.gif

"Ah, Blackadder. Started talking to yourself, I see."

"Yes...it's the only way I can be assured of intelligent conversation."

- Melchett and Edmund Blackadder

• SRC Member

in this case, the onus is on the couple to prove that the tank broke due to qh negligence. not so easy and im sure they know it too. how do u think newspaper come to know of the case? definitely not qh who tip them off :whistle

first tank... they claim leak and qh replaced liao.

second tank broke... got so suay meh?

the angle and location where the break occured is pretty odd. looks more like someone knocked into it or a lr dropped down from its position and broke it. then again... this part is for qh to prove.

oso im sure qh sold many of these tanks and no news of them breaking. so no history/records to back up on the tank poor reliability.

hehe i also... everytime time study i headache... can cliam MOE :P

Wahhh.... then those study till PHD one how? Can claim one lump sum bo?

Permanant Head Damage...

A broken heart, A life torn apart.

Screams with no sound.

No solution to be found.

Forsaken by all, Blood spatterd on a wall.

Left all alone, Still as a stone.

Locked in eternal sleep, No more tears to weep...