Wat has happened to SRC?

diabolus

• SRC Member

I suggest we close SRC and let all the members migrate to whichever local/overseas marine forum they like.

Let 'them' have a taste of all the shit you have to endure all this while and see if they can still stick to their credo. :lol:

We only need to close the pasar malam :lol: apart from issues arising from time to time - that's one of the cause of flames/arguments.

I must say it is quite funny to read the quarrels. But the moderators here are so predictable that it takes a big part of the joy away. They will let you vent your frustrations a little. Then advice to take it out of thread and settle privately. Only when things get out of hand do they lock the thread indefinitely and give warning to the parties involved.

i find it funny too but its suppose to be a forum, hobbyist can discuss anything - sometimes things get out of hand and there's no point going on in public (as it benefits no one else) & we stop it,but we only warn - we don't ban yet. :ph34r:

What if i am involved and i refuse to leave things as it is and i start another thread flaming the other party?

Then whoever spots it! locks it

What if i use strong words and run down the moderators for interfering?

What if i insist on getting support from my 'khakis' and slam the forum and everyone else who disagrees with me?

Then whoever spots it! locks it - and delete/ban or issue warnings Gestapo style ;)

What if there is such a forum that condone my behavior because the forum is for disgruntled i.e unreasonable and unwelcomed SRC reefers like me :pinch:

What if this forum is a special place for free thinking and spirited people that find it offensive to have their posts deleted or have threads they are interested in be stopped?

There is a place called ice red, people may bitch about anything. but i think they lock posts & ban ppl too. There is always a limit.

• SRC Member
I suggest we close SRC and let all the members migrate to whichever local/overseas marine forum they like.

Let 'them' have a taste of all the shit you have to endure all this while and see if they can still stick to their credo. :lol:

We only need to close the pasar malam :lol: apart from issues arising from time to time - that's one of the cause of flames/arguments.

I must say it is quite funny to read the quarrels. But the moderators here are so predictable that it takes a big part of the joy away. They will let you vent your frustrations a little. Then advice to take it out of thread and settle privately. Only when things get out of hand do they lock the thread indefinitely and give warning to the parties involved.

i find it funny too but its suppose to be a forum, you can discuss anything - sometimes things get out of hand and there's no point going on in public (as it benefits no one else) & we stop it,but we only warn - we don't ban yet. :ph34r:

What if i am involved and i refuse to leave things as it is and i start another thread flaming the other party?

What if i insist on getting support from my 'khakis' and slam the forum and everyone else who disagrees with me?

Then whoever spots it! locks it - and delete/ban or issue warnings Gestapo style

What if there is such a forum that condone my behavior because the forum is for disgruntled i.e unreasonable and unwelcomed SRC reefers like me :pinch:

What if this forum is a special place for free thinking and spirited people that find it offensive to have their posts deleted or have threads they are interested in be stopped?

There is a place called ice red, you may bitch about anything. but i think they lock posts & ban ppl too. There is always a limit.

old bird has spoken....

:bow::bow::bow:

i really agree with the pasar malam part...

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

• SRC Member

i find it funny too but its suppose to be a forum, you can discuss anything - sometimes things get out of hand and there's no point going on in public (as it benefits no one else) & we stop it,but we only warn - we don't ban yet. :ph34r:

Then whoever spots it! locks it - and delete/ban or issue warnings Gestapo style

There is a place called ice red, you may bitch about anything. but i think they lock posts & ban ppl too. There is always a limit.

i dont think you understand what ckevin is saying..

think i have to agree with him.

Let SRC be the sharing of info site, and the "others" be all the flaming and crapping site..

• SRC Member

Pardon me for my bad english:

There a bounds to have good and bad happenings...

Dun expect happiness everyday...

Always expect the unexpected!

These is what i believe....

We are Singaporeans, definatley will "kao Peh, Kao Bu" one. <_< ..A bit complain. Nothing to do also complain... That our cultures. Want "cheap" & "good" stuffs and plus "guarantee" Where can find???... Im a singaporean, but sometimes when i think back, I told myself "don;t be like that hor" but it hidden in ourself ever since we are born, we will be like that I admit that I tends to "kao peh" a bit :P as I believe it my right to do that...you dun step my tail, i wont step urs...recent case why? Someone steps our tails, we got to bit back! then what sit there and wait...No way man, We have our rights and of coz, as for freedom of speech still not very opened. we are here IN SRC...we got to follow the rules of the games. IF u break the rules once, i warn and forgive u...if u does it again, Sorry Second yellow card...third time, got to send off liao !!! ADDing comments when 2 persons having disputes really can make a person blood boiled..so can we stop? NOPE? If can HOW? Asking all readers, not to add salt and pepper while they clarify their misunderstanding on the net, so at least we will know what happen? Why we are so KPO? ...u might as well remove the thread, and PM them asking them to go for a coffee or talk thru the phone....Would it be better that way? ;)

IMO, By shutting down certain sections OR implementing membership fees. It may Help...but just bear in mind...it CAN ONLY MINS PROBLEMS ONLY...BUT not sloving problems.. :ph34r:

In short, At and mods will need to be firm on giving warnings and banning pple for abusing the forum..some forum have a system whereby the lau jiao have the authority to give a hard time to newbies for posting stupid post/their behaviour...thru upping and reducing their points of rep pts...(ps i dun know how it works) :paiseh: I realised that in order to stay as a memeber in that forum, he/she will be careful on what he/she said and he/she will try the best to let pple up their rep pts,hopefully, one day he/she will become one of them ...newbies, first post will have the mod review for at least few days before the post went out to mins stupid remarkds and comments....I do suggest that for newbies, all must register their home email accounts rather than using yahoo, hotmail etc etc..in these way, you can monitior their status...anything happened, still can track their IP (if i not wrong) U see, once their actual email register, they will dare to Shit around...as i know, home email address can be track easily...(Am i right, IT expert? ;) )

OK, sorry for the long thread. JUst to share my thoughts.... :rolleyes:

:thanks:

• SRC Member
The first order of things is to get a Gestapo organization in place, followed by giving mods the power to control street thugs to help reinforce a zero tolerance policy against any hint of dissent, any word of doubt against the all powerful, all perfect mega corporation of SRC.

Yeah! I like this idea. ;)

Bevor Sie das Licht sehen, müssen Sie sterben!

• SRC Member
i dont think you understand what ckevin is saying..

think i have to agree with him.

Let SRC be the sharing of info site, and the "others" be all the flaming and crapping site..

Thanks Clammy,

i sure the moderators know that i was just role playing and has also noticed that some of the credos were picked from 'the other forum' .

I love SRC. :lol::erm:

• SRC Member
I think things started going down hill when the site started the sponsorships...

Will have to agree with you totally....and i have mention that before too...

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

To be fair to most of the sponsors... they are very very good and value add to the forum.

Yes, we have a few that are competing against one another but recently.... you hardly see any 'ugliness' developed from their competitions to provide us reefers with better and cheaper deals.

However, there are more and more conflicts among reefers, be it skimmer comparisons, coral competition, sales and swop..... most of the conflicts are sparked off by reefers rather than the sponsors.

Its we who are surfing this site who should look at ourselves and think about how we are value-adding to the site.....

• SRC Member

especially pospeh....

long time no hear!

like i told 35 cents....this thread is gonna get some replies from the old birds.

i have one suggestion, to restrict some business/disgruntled ppl from posting defamatory remarks against a certain company or reefer.

All new members have to registered with a valid email address(no free mails like hotmail,yahoo etc) those without will be restrict to posting in the 'new to marine' thread, until their agenda can be determined. This will certainly prevent such incidents again.

As to the sponsors, i have nothing against them and i think they add value to SRC. Look at EAN, they were the 1st sponsor in SRC and they have grown from strength to strength, and at the same time, have benefitted countless reefers.

i think sometimes, when we want to post something which might turn into a flame war, take a deep breath, turn off the CPU and go to bed. :lol:

Shoelevy : i am not good with words, and also not concise enough to do a review, dats why u dun see me posting reviews. but this is wat i will consider a good review...

Oceanic salt review by Rumor

anyway, just my 36 cents worth of nonsense.

:lol:

In my point of view, it all boils down to our own mentality. We must learn to face the hard fact that you cannot have quality and cheap together. This applies to the sponsors as well.

I think that why we are having problems with sponsorships are that other shops do not want to spend money to be a sponsor here. And because of that, they become jealous of sponsors having a lot more business than them. So as a defensive reaction, they will psyco a reefer by telling all sorts of crap about the "forum". Its true and I have experienced it many times with different LFS.

I support the stand of closing down the pasar malam forum. Reasons are that this particular forum has been exploited to such an extent that it has caused much problems for us. By closing the pasar malam, we significantly reduce the number of flaming threads regarding sales and at the same time, discourage the sale of stuff. What I am referring to here are the newbies who have this sick mindset that they can start a reef for enjoyment and then sell away the stuff if it crashes and wish to even earn a profit for it.

A way which I think can help this situation is to establish ourselves as a prominent figure in the reefing scene in Singapore. The problem now is that new reefers treat us as a free forum for them to anyhow post cause nothing will happen to them if they post such content.

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member

i would agree that closing down the pasar malam section deals with newbs who think they can come in play play with the hobby and give up after it crashes

if this really comes true, what might you suggest regarding more established reefers who wish to sell off an old equipment after an upgrade?...for eg my case where i sold off my macro after getting a beckett

how would i sell it if the pasar malam is closed?

(don't get me wrong blueheaven, i'm not typing in a sarcastic tone, i'm really puzzled by those questions on my mind...no offense :peace:

• SRC Member

adding sponsorships deffinetly add benefics to SRC and us.

I dont suggest closing the "sell off/pasar malam".

Lets just be alittle more careful dealing with others(newbies or old-birds) after all these.

I think these problems already exist long ago ever since this section started.

just only recently, reefers really lost their patience with the other party. and results in these kind of topics happened one after another.

So just be more careful.

Maybe reefers should register with non-free mails (like wat Diablolus suggested)

I think this will helps minimise some unwanted problems.

my $0.02

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

For every flaming thread due to some conflict in a sales transaction, there are many others that have been successfully completed with buyers and sellers both benefitting from the sale.

I personally believe the pasar malam constitute an important part of this forum as it helps us to get rid of unwanted equipments and livestocks. Lots of money can be saved in the process.

To do without the pasar malam would also result in a significant reduction in members logging in, no matter wat you tink, there are many members who log in to see if they could buy/sell items... That would den lead to a reduction in sponsers eventually and that would give us more problems... :(

Juz my $0.02... :P

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

As a newbie to this hobby n SRC, my personal views on Pasar malam section is that it enabled me to start this expensive hobby with lower costs (wif good, working, reasonable priced 2nd hand items) than buying everything 1st hand. Without the pasar malam section, i couldnt have started and found this hobby to be fun and fulfilling today!! :D :D

As for newbies contributing to the forum, i find myself filtering out all the necessary information thru the search function (as from some mod's signature :P ) which allowed me to gain knowledge, facts, perceptions of everything marine .. from salt mix to skimmers to SPS (in the very far future :rolleyes: ). Therefore, i dont participate much in the forum, but more of a lurker who benefitted a lot from the SRC (copied the DIY overflow etc), which i believe there are much more of such netizens (some of my friends :lol:).

There will always be black sheep among forums, but i feel that if the mods are locking threads and issuing warnings as they deem fit, all will go well. It is not so much of lack of freedom of speech issue but i think is that it is good to give respect to others as well as oneself. This will enable the younger generation to learn to air their views in a respectful manner and know the boundaries of posting in forums. Defamatory remarks against a person/company in a forum such as SRC can be dealt with a court order ( 'Can't hide behind an ISP or online forum' Computer Times 12 November 2003).

Another thing abt pasar malam is that it gives me a chance to visit a fellow reefer's place and admire + gain knowledge n experience of his set-up.. this is something i wont get at LFS cos everyone's marine tank is unique.

In short, i recommend that let the pasar malam be, its just that the mods have more work to do :ph34r: . In any case if anyone dont like the actions of the mods, they are free to visit other forums :evil::evil: