• Sailfin Tang (Red Sea)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are two types of yellow tangs, right? One from Hawaii and one from Philippines. The former is nice looking and more expensive while the latter is elongated, slightly darker and cheaper.

Which is hardier?

Then how about Yellow Tang vs Brown Tang? To a newbie like me, they look very similar to each other just that the color is different. Would this imply that both are as hardy?

(~ cci[RR]us ~)
A pair of Nemos :: Deep Sand Bed
Solite 2x24W T5 :: Prizm Skimmer with Overflow attachment

Powder Blue Tangs are not easy to keep and very itch prone (true) but with good water quality & OZONE, itch is not a problem. Once it start eating, it will be a beautiful specimen to have in your tank :D. Please note that not all tangs are compatible with each other. :) My Clown Tang (2.5") is the smallest BUT it terrorise all others fishes including a 5" red sea sailfin tang.... :(

• 3 months later...

Need some advice from Tangs lovers...

I tried a few times with young Regal Tangs (Blue Tang), but all died. My gobbies and clown all surving well in the tank and water condition is good, but still the Tangs could not make it.

What I notice, everytime the Tangs will start developing white patchs and colour becomes pale after a week, I thought was due to parasite, but other fish in the tank do not have this problem, even newly introduced fish other than tangs has no problem surving, only tangs will dies.

Any suggestion??

• SRC Member

Honestly speaking, should get the regal/hippo blue tangs of size at least 2-3 inches

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member
Ich Tangs.. aka Blue Tangs. I have three and and they permantly have ich amazing, but still going strong after three years.

Think its not ich.. they are stressed spots.. Usually water quality or stressed because of new intro to tank..

My yellow tang had that initial few weeks. Usually will see spots on the fins in the morning when it just wakes up.. it clears up usually by afternoon. Happens everyday for that few weeks.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
They are usually about 1inch.

What are the recommended food to feed them? I tried flakes and dry brine shrimp.

I always buy 3/4 inch size or else I dont buy. I always will buy the smallest and rare them to adults.

I wanna choose lots of tangs but the poll only limit one. WHY???? LOL

I love blue tang the most so I go for them

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

My yellow tang and blue tang just passed away.. lasted less than a week. About 5 days after we bought the tangs with the Tanks and LR etc.

The blue tang was down with white spot and the yellow tang, though only a few white spots, actually die 1st..

After so many questions and tests, we finally found out our PH meter is not properly caliberated and a bit off. It could be the reason that brought the white spot into surface i guess.

Gonna wait till it's stable then get another Tang i think..

Whats a good hardy tang that dont grow too big? I'm using a 2ft tank.

• SRC Member
My yellow tang and blue tang just passed away.. lasted less than a week. About 5 days after we bought the tangs with the Tanks and LR etc.

The blue tang was down with white spot and the yellow tang, though only a few white spots, actually die 1st..

After so many questions and tests, we finally found out our PH meter is not properly caliberated and a bit off. It could be the reason that brought the white spot into surface i guess.

Gonna wait till it's stable then get another Tang i think..

Whats a good hardy tang that dont grow too big? I'm using a 2ft tank.

Tangs are ferrari of our reef tank, 2 ft better dun keep tangs. Also not recommended if it is a new tank. I will never buy a tang without my QT for 1 month.

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

kk.. guess have to stick to other fishes then :P

I think you can keep tang but pay attention to the size and quantity. I do agree that Blue Hippo Tang is very susceptible to ich...I got my first hand experience that this fish almost die few times but it didn't. The most important thing is the water quality and high care level. Also recently my Hippo tang caught itch due to amnonia spike when no one take care the tank for 10 days and running on autofeeder. But after changing water and give some frozen, live, and good quality pellet fish food the itch clear within few days.

Anyway I start have deep interest with tangs and planning to get rid all the damsels too bad my wife won't let me do it.

So far I have D. Sailfin, Yellow tang, and Hippo Tang....dip it into my tank without any quarantine all less than 2" still looking for small Purple Tang and PBT.

RED SEA MAX - BLACK, JBJ ARCTICA DBA-075, HYDOR PRIME 30, VORTECH MP10

the challenge is to keep PBT alive.

Humble tank :

Size: 4x2.5x2 ft - Display 

Equipment :

Return 1 : Ecotech marine L1

Return 2 : Ecotech marine M1

CR : Skimz CM122 - Caribsea extra course media with Grotech magnesium

Light : ATI 8x54W

• SRC Member

I think you can keep tang but pay attention to the size and quantity. I do agree that Blue Hippo Tang is very susceptible to ich...I got my first hand experience that this fish almost die few times but it didn't. The most important thing is the water quality and high care level. Also recently my Hippo tang caught itch due to amnonia spike when no one take care the tank for 10 days and running on autofeeder. But after changing water and give some frozen, live, and good quality pellet fish food the itch clear within few days.

Anyway I start have deep interest with tangs and planning to get rid all the damsels too bad my wife won't let me do it.

So far I have D. Sailfin, Yellow tang, and Hippo Tang....dip it into my tank without any quarantine all less than 2" still looking for small Purple Tang and PBT.

Haha, another tang lover. :)

So far yet to see small mini purple tang.

To me , I prefer control feeding, less them eat lesser, water easier to maintain,

but maybe harder to make them fat this way. lol.

Now got 1 purple, 1 blue,1 yellow, 2 sailfin, 1 tomni, 1 naso....

:D

However, unless the there is no more host during the outbreak, the ich bateria will always remain inside the tank.... haiz....