normal glass vs crystal glass

Joeteng

Colour Distortion. Any tank maker can get crystal glass from supplier. Thus, u got to decide who to go to for yr tank making.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member

normal or standard glass has a green tint while crystal glass is clearer due to its lower iron content. you can visibly compare the same glass through its section. normal glass is harder and cheaper while crystal glass is softer and expensive, i would suggest that for a tank where you will usually use a 10mm normal glass, go for a 12mm crystal glass. if you are very particular about true colors, go for a crystal (especially good with colorful corals) otherwise save your budget and stick to normal glass.

• SRC Member

After reading what bro peacemaker wrote, I can say that crystal glass definitely not for me. I'm already taking too much time cleaning with a magnet glass cleaner. Imagine scrub-scrub, sayang-sayang, scrub-scrub, sayang-sayang,... it'll take the whole night. :P

I kanna con before for a tank with sump plus stand only with piping cost me $5k. Damn piss off so can anyone recommend a good tank maker. Freelance or shop. U guys can email me if it is inconvenience to post

• SRC Member

Wow 5k for a 3ft... I offer u my 4ft full set plus all e fish for 2.5k if u wan... Ahakz... :) mainly angel...

Bro maybe u can get at pasarmalam section... Some bro r letting go tank at cheap price... Sometime, secondhand item r better then firsthand item...

Cheers :P

Hard to describe as there are other grade of non crystal glass. Hence, good to go to reputable makers to ensure not being con. As mentioned by some reefers here, non crystal glass has tinted green look at the edge while crystal is like clear.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member

i too, had this dilemma when i was choosing glass for my new tank.. it was discussed here when i started out, not sure if its of any info to u:

but anyway, my tank maker had a sample in the shop so i took a pic of it last time.. and the difference is pretty big, the difference gets bigger the thicker it is.. hope it helps..

no prize for guessing which is low-iron.. :P

post-9599-0-19540600-1298867001_thumb.jp

post-9599-0-08627000-1298867005_thumb.jp

• SRC Supporter

If you wish to compare between a Acrylic tank vs Glass tank , here are the info;

1. Acrylic is a better insulator than glass so a smaller heater will work for the same sized aquarium and temperature fluctuations happen slower. This is good for stability.

2. Acrylic is clearer than glass. It actually lets 14% more light through than glass.

3. Acrylic can have a much greater variety of shapes. Acrylic aquariums commonly have rounded corners (rather than seams) and usually have a more 'contemporary' look. Acrylic coffee tables and even bubble tanks (like Captain Picard's aquarium on Star Trek).

4. A disadvantage of acrylic is that it scratches much easier (be careful with inside decorations) so special cleaning pads must be used. NEVER use a brillo pad or a green pot scrubber on an acrylic aquarium.

5. Perhaps the biggest disadvantage of acrylic is the cost. Usually an acrylic aquarium will cost 2 to 3 times what a similar sized glass aquarium would.

** Extracted from animal-world.com

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

I kanna con before for a tank with sump plus stand only with piping cost me $5k. Damn piss off so can anyone recommend a good tank maker. Freelance or shop. U guys can email me if it is inconvenience to post

sorry to hijack yr thread. I looking to upgrade tank n looking for reputable and experience tank makers. Can anyone recommend me?

I want upgrade my 3x kana cheated few inches x 2ft tank. Looking at 4x3x2.

Tank size:36"x36"x24"

Return pump" 2x Reef Octo 5000

Skimmer:BK Double Cone 200 on Reef Octopus DC 5500s.

Wavemaker:2xVortech MP40wES

Chemical filtration:1xeducator FR(biopellets)

Chiller:1hp Daikin compressor.

Lighting:2 x Kessil A360we

Auto topup system: JBJ ATO + new jet 1200

Dosing system: Kamoer 3 channel.

Additives: ESV 2 part.

Power consumption

2XReef Octo 5000: 120watts

BK skimmer:50watts

2xVortech wavemaker:70watts

Daikin compressor:775watts

Lighting:180watts

Ato system:21watts

Exhaust fans:16watts

Refugium light:27watts

I think the best way to answer this question is to ask, what do you plan to keep? Fishes? LPS corals? SPS corals?

From there you'll able to decide if it's necessary to go with crystal glass. Crystal glass will allow you to see the true colour of your corals w/o any colour distortion.

As for your 3ft tank that cost 5k, let's not jump to conclusion. One must consider workmanship, after sales service, and if the whole setup includes equipments then 5k is still ok

I think the best way to answer this question is to ask, what do you plan to keep? Fishes? LPS corals? SPS corals?

From there you'll able to decide if it's necessary to go with crystal glass. Crystal glass will allow you to see the true colour of your corals w/o any colour distortion.

As for your 3ft tank that cost 5k, let's not jump to conclusion. One must consider workmanship, after sales service, and if the whole setup includes equipments then 5k is still ok

Try Ah beng! My friend did one from them around 1k with cabinet for 3ft tanks