macro alage for nutrient and nitrate export

boxfish

• SRC Member
actually I'm asking recommendation for macro algae in refugium in general :D

Mine got red bamboo, fern and caulerpa algae and mangroves.

Caulerpa are losing out in the fight for nutrient. Winner is fern and mangrove. :o

Actually, mangrove is the worst nutrient exporter of them all. :lol: They require MH to grow. And you need a LOT of them to be effective.

Fern is a caulerpa too.

The best macroalgae to use that won't crash easily is chaetomorpha or bryopsis. The only problem with bryopsis is that it may spread to the main tank.

• SRC Member
where to get mangrove?

I got it from WaterC too. Big one $2.50 small one $1.50 :P

Hi AT,

Yes, I agree with you, they need lot of light grow well. My mangrove was placed in refugium which was high enough to near to the light because of DSB. One of mangroves had now reached above the water level with leaves open out.

wad are chaetomorpha or bryopsis?????

Any One have pics of macroalgae to share

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

Yup... they grow too slowly to be a good nutrient exporter... and they really need strong light to grow their leaves above water. For most of us with inside cabinet sumps, there is no space to grow mangroves. They do better in muddy substrates too.

Here. Found a thread in RC that explains the limitations of mangroves and the requirements. I think a lot of people fail because they don't research enough.

They have estimated you need one mangrove pod per 6 gals of water :blink: before you see them working as an effective nutrient exporter.

And your sump cannot be too deep because they need their roots to be exposed to air. And your sump must be really huge.... to accommodate enough mangrove plants! :unsure:

In western countries, space is not a premium. When they talk about sumps... its almost like a small pond with the huge rubbermaid tubs they use... not like our tiny glass sumps we have under our stand. :lol:

Its this common misconception that people think that a DSB in a tiny compartment in glass sumps will work when viewed in the same context, other reefers' sumps more often than not, are bigger in volume compared to their main tanks!!!!

• SRC Member

Hi,

Can post a clear picture of chaetomorpha? Can't find one on the net that is clear enough

Most importantly, where can I buy chaetomorpha? :bow:

Mangrove? wah lao pasir ris beach got tonnes! from seed to full grown trees :D:lol::peace:

easy access, no need to climb or jump into river :P

• SRC Member

I got 6 mangrove pods (small, long green seeds, red mangrove) growing in the refugium. I place them in the substrate. Has been with me for abt 1 month. Very slow growth. The pods do show some root growth (solid one plus some hairy roots) and up to 4 small leaves on top.

Lighting: 1 FL 15W, 2x PL 18W, 20hrs.

Supplement: Coralife Marine Plant Food, dosage less than recommended on the bottle.

Care: Spray the leaves with FW once a day.

Mangrove are interesting looking plants, adding diversity to the tank. Efficient nutrient export ? Can't tell at the moment. Don't think it will replace skimmer just yet.