where is my fish :(

This looks like an anthias, as for the exact species, I am not so sure, but there are many here who would be able to identify it.

If this is a deepsea species, they are rather sensitive to bright light, assuming you just got it recently, it might be hiding inside the crevices etc. Give it some time. Feed it well. Dim the lights.

Or

It might be dead :(

• SRC Member

If you are newbie, my advice is stay away from Anthias. Sure they are pretty but they are very demanding. Earn your stripes in fish husbandry with easier species before moving up the chain else you'll just be burning cash. Cheers.

• Like 1

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

Purple queen is notorious for dying of mysterious reason, and they are constant feeders, without 24/7 feeding, most delicate species anthias are doom to die in the tank becos of starvation... With expection of Dispar, Barlett, Blue Eye Anthias...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

Purple queen maybe constant feeder in wild but hard to get it feeding in captive.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

Purple queen maybe constant feeder in wild but hard to get it feeding in captive.

Becos they are planktivore so they will require free floating food particles in the water column to get them feeding...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

When was the last time you see the fish? If more than 3 days that means they are dead,eaten by small crabs or died while hiding behind rocks.

One way is to look for slimy particles waving behind rocks. If you found the slime, it is most likely your dead purple queen anthias.

• SRC Member

if you just seen them not long then they should be hiding. there's nothing to be alarmed for fishes not to be seen. doesn't mean you add a fish into the tank means you'd get to see it 24/7. some fish just to hang out in the open as much as other fishes.

• SRC Member

Agreed. Maybe your purple queen is on its own and too afraid to swim in the open. Do u have other aggressive fishes in your tank? Fishes anthias especially will hide if they are sick or scared.

if you just seen them not long then they should be hiding. there's nothing to be alarmed for fishes not to be seen. doesn't mean you add a fish into the tank means you'd get to see it 24/7. some fish just to hang out in the open as much as other fishes.

• SRC Member

One lessson learn here is...listen to the bros here who are willling to spend time replying to your thread. Don't buy any anthias cos they require regular feedings to remain healthy. Some like purple queen is almost impossible for most of us.

I got a feeling that you may soon buy other difficult (though may be affordable) fishes not knowing their extremely low chances of survival in our tanks, especially to newbies like yourself. Common fishes to avoid:

- Cleaner wrasse

- Moorish idol

- Copperband butterfly (avoid butterfly unless you know their feeding habits as some are obligate coral eaters)

- Harleqiun filefish

- Algae Blenny

- Mandarin fish

- Bi-color angelfish

- Anthias (except barlett, blue eye & dispar)

• SRC Member

moral of story for all newbies ( though we all fall into the trap at one time or another) is.. to read read READ up on a fish before you buy. :)

Hope for the best but be prepared for the worst.

at least you saw them swimming out. :) so they ARE alive.

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

One lessson learn here is...listen to the bros here who are willling to spend time replying to your thread. Don't buy any anthias cos they require regular feedings to remain healthy. Some like purple queen is almost impossible for most of us.

I got a feeling that you may soon buy other difficult (though may be affordable) fishes not knowing their extremely low chances of survival in our tanks, especially to newbies like yourself. Common fishes to avoid:

- Cleaner wrasse

- Moorish idol

- Copperband butterfly (avoid butterfly unless you know their feeding habits as some are obligate coral eaters)

- Harleqiun filefish

- Algae Blenny

- Mandarin fish

- Bi-color angelfish

- Anthias (except barlett, blue eye & dispar)

Bro,

May I know what wrong with Algae Blenny and Bi-color?

Thanks

Bro,

May I know what wrong with Algae Blenny and Bi-color?

Thanks

My personal views/experience:

Algae Blenny- usually will die because :

1) no algae for it to eat

2) refuse to eat other food, ie pellets or mysis etc

3) even if trained to eat pellets etc, must also ensure it gets to eat because it usually stays at bottom of tank or its too slow to eat them and gets eaten by other fast swimmers, such as tangs.

Bi-color angel-

1) refuse to eat

2) need mature tank to survive. (definite no for new tanks)

3) may need cooler water

• SRC Member

Hey Happy Guy, Read Might help you...

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

Are we talking about the same tank

Happyguy- If its this few days old tank u are talking about, you should stop adding any livestock....or I am afraid they will :rip:

In my opinion (some may have different views), some fish require a "mature tank", like at least 6 months to a year old.