What kind of lighting for you using for LPS?

koniyakutz

What kind of lighting for you using for LPS?  

509 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of lighting for you using for LPS?

• T5 HO
    • PL
    • MH 150W
    • MH 250W
    • MH > 250W

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

hehex....guess im no.1...using T5 HO..currently keeping softies and LPS...

satisfied with it so far... :D

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

• SRC Member

Can LPS like bubbles and pratas take such intense lighting?

Tks :)

shld nt be a prob as long as dun put under the direct MH la.. :D my 2 cents..

Equipments:

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

• SRC Member

actually not very intense leh.. coz it's 20k... i love MH lighting coz there's that "shimmer" which u don't get with T5s...

Anyway i doubt it's as intense as the sun.. i think if u put it up too close it's not so much the light that will kill but the heat... but so far no issues for me leh.. if anything I think i can do with more lights... and current.. and equipment.. and corals.. and... i think u get the picture

• SRC Member

i use both T5 and PL.... coz no chiller if not will chg to MH...

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

I would like to findout what is the difference btw MH with 6.5KK, 10KK, 15KK and 20KK.

Is it because difference in the light intensity? If that is the case, as most reefer using 10KK, is it the most recommended for?

Comparison:

I know PL/T5/T8 generate less heat compare to MH, but example, for a 4x2x2ft tank, we may need 4 pair of T5 to have the tank covered compare to properbly 2x150MH light, the price will be a great difference. 4xT5 would properbly cost $800, whereas a 2x150MH would cost $400...no brand quoted.

Would the expert reefer advice is to choose T5 or MH even w/o the above comparison in price?

I am in a stage of lost to which light should I choose to put up SPS & LPS...this would be the cost to have number of lights, running cost (Electric fee), maintenance cost (bulk change).

Any expert reefer pls give me some advice.

:thanks:

I would like to findout what is the difference btw MH with 6.5KK, 10KK, 15KK and 20KK.

Is it because difference in the light intensity? If that is the case, as most reefer using 10KK, is it the most recommended for?

Comparison:

I know PL/T5/T8 generate less heat compare to MH, but example, for a 4x2x2ft tank, we may need 4 pair of T5 to have the tank covered compare to properbly 2x150MH light, the price will be a great difference. 4xT5 would properbly cost $800, whereas a 2x150MH would cost $400...no brand quoted.

Would the expert reefer advice is to choose T5 or MH even w/o the above comparison in price?

I am in a stage of lost to which light should I choose to put up SPS & LPS...this would be the cost to have number of lights, running cost (Electric fee), maintenance cost (bulk change).

Any expert reefer pls give me some advice.

:thanks:

Bro,

me no expert... but seriously, wat do you wanna keep predominantly?!?! SPS? LPS? Softties? Fish only? Dat's more important....

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

i think MHs for looks good for an lps tank. bright, intense. nice shimmering effect on sand bed. u can supplement with t5 if you want stronger lightings, and more control over the color and intensity. :)

• SRC Member

Bro,

me no expert... but seriously, wat do you wanna keep predominantly?!?! SPS? LPS? Softties? Fish only? Dat's more important....

My intention is to keep LPS and Softies...so what's your recommendation?

MH with ??KK lights or T5 lights ?

Thanks

• SRC Member

My intention is to keep LPS and Softies...so what's your recommendation?

MH with ??KK lights or T5 lights ?

Thanks

T5 HO is sufficient to keep softies and LPS...best is to have a chiiler...so that the colaration will not fade away...my 2 cents.. :D

Equipments:

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Is it because difference in the light intensity?  If that is the case, as most reefer using 10KK, is it the most recommended for?

the K, kelvin is the color temperature ... 6.5k is almost the full color spectrum (like sunglight, kinda yellowish), the higher it goes, the bluer the bulb is. 10kk is considered very white light + a bit blueish, yet 15k,20k is blueish.

i believe corals do best in 6.5k, but for viewing purpose, many ppl choose to go for higher K, as it looks brighter and clearer. and of course, blue can bring out the flouroscent of the corals as well :P

>>

• SRC Member

btw , my tank is not corals-dominated tank ..

but i have some simple corals like mushrooms, buttons, and gonipora

lighting: 1 x 20W FL Daylight tube + 1 x 20W marine blue + aluminium reflector ...

and all of them expanding pretty well..

>>

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...