Tofubox's 90 x 60 x 60

tofubox

Hi Guys,

This is my First Marine setup! Due to finance, only able to afford a 3ft tank. Tank has been running for about 4 months now. Had some major problem with ich, newbie mistake of adding livestock too quickly. So i took out most of my livestock, and they are in the quaranteen tank now. Gave me a good reason to do some rescaping with the inhabitants out of the way. Heres some pictures to share, appreciate some comments on the scaping! :ThanxSmiley:

New Scape!

post-18626-0-46584500-1300113711_thumb.j

I Love Stagsss

The umbrella like structure looks unstable but think

U should have done some trick to secure it. Nice scape.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member

its beautiful, i love the scaping.. open concept! :welldone:

sidenote: your tank walls + sand are surprisingly clean for a 4mths old tank!

The umbrella like structure looks unstable but think

U should have done some trick to secure it. Nice scape.

I agree it looks unstable from the pictures. But in fact, its supported at 4 joints, making it extremly stable.

Thanks all for the comments! Still trying to improve on the scape. :thumbsup: Should i be adding some caves?

I Love Stagsss

I agree it looks unstable from the pictures. But in fact, its supported at 4 joints, making it extremly stable.

Thanks all for the comments! Still trying to improve on the scape. :thumbsup: Should i be adding some caves?

Adding more caves will allow more resting and hiding places for your fishes. But while u add more caves, try not to lose the open concept of your tank.

Adding more caves will allow more resting and hiding places for your fishes. But while u add more caves, try not to lose the open concept of your tank.

Hmmm, guess i'll just makes one or two caves and see if i can keep the open concept. Problem is, everytime i play around with my rocks, i'll make a mess and my mom will start yelling at me. haha :yahoo:

Anything else lacking? thinking of keeping chromis and anthias :)

I Love Stagsss

Creation of cave will allow conquering and domination. Thus keep tame fishes will be good. Yr purple goby is a good start. Can consider clown fish, assessor, mandarin, etc. U have to decide u want fishes that swim around or hide all day except feeling time. For anthia, go for sunburst. Maybe consider skipping chromis. Last few fishes to consider, hammer and black cap. Lol.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

Creation of cave will allow conquering and domination. Thus keep tame fishes will be good. Yr purple goby is a good start. Can consider clown fish, assessor, mandarin, etc. U have to decide u want fishes that swim around or hide all day except feeling time. For anthia, go for sunburst. Maybe consider skipping chromis. Last few fishes to consider, hammer and black cap. Lol.

Thanks for the recommendations Tuna. If im looking for a group of anthias less shy and will do better without hiding, Should i go with Bartletts or queen anthias?

Will be nice to see my fishes swimming about my tank than hiding all day.

Have a blue tang that would hide all day , he is now in my QT tank, still hiding!:thumbdown: Anyway i can boost his "confidence"? He has more or less overcomed the ich problem i had, just very shy still.

I Love Stagsss

• SRC Member

oo thumbs up for the open scape! and i see you do your tank maintenance diligently :lol:

its nice seeing an elegance on the sand where it should be :) thought you may want to bring it a little further out since there's space. seems like its almost scraping the rocks when expanded

hi the top right hand red sponge do you experience any bleaching of color in this sponge?

found difficulty in keep this sponge compare to blue sponge..

u can drill holes in coral rocks, to squeeze plastic tubes in. to cater for the natural slanting angle of sponges in the sea.

nt sure if u rescape the stones before putting the sand back in, refrain frm keeping sand dwelling creatures to prevent your earthquakes..

u may wan to place your brain higher to prevent sand spiting gobies..

hi the top right hand red sponge do you experience any bleaching of color in this sponge?

found difficulty in keep this sponge compare to blue sponge..

u can drill holes in coral rocks, to squeeze plastic tubes in. to cater for the natural slanting angle of sponges in the sea.

nt sure if u rescape the stones before putting the sand back in, refrain frm keeping sand dwelling creatures to prevent your earthquakes..

u may wan to place your brain higher to prevent sand spiting gobies..

Havent had any problem with bleaching so far. Its one of my first coral i got, couple of mths back. Its colour may not be as radiant as before, but its still doing well.

Haha, had my fair share of experience on sand spiting gobies, they are really hardworking fishes, used to have one, created earthquakes now and then.

Thinking of going in sps next. :thumbsup:

I Love Stagsss

Hmmm, guess i'll just makes one or two caves and see if i can keep the open concept. Problem is, everytime i play around with my rocks, i'll make a mess and my mom will start yelling at me. haha :yahoo:

Anything else lacking? thinking of keeping chromis and anthias :)

Anthias are difficult. Go for the easier ones like bartletts, dispars, lyretails, carberryi etc. If u keeping bartletts dun keep more than three as they tend to fight among each other after a while. Resplendent anthias are a good choice too, but u need to get healthy ones as most of them dun take shiping well and arrive v stressed and unhealthy.

Chromis u can consider retrofasciata, nigrura, or the common viridis. Chromis are more sensitive fishes so u need to buy a few more for casualties. For example if u want to keep three, then buy five becos usually two or three will die.

Anyway, heres a picture of my old scape of 4 mths. Looks really cramp. haha :thumbdown:

Ugly scaping. I dislike this kind of v cramp and all-stack-up kind of scaping.

Hey Digiman! Thanks for the recommendations. Thinking about going for the Bartletts and common viridis. About 3 Bartletts and 5 Chromis. Do these 2 types of fish get along well? Any aggression i should be aware of? Should i add the chromis or the bartletts first? Don't wanna make a mistake of introducing the wrong fish first. Appreciate the advise! Thanks!

I Love Stagsss

Hey Digiman! Thanks for the recommendations. Thinking about going for the Bartletts and common viridis. About 3 Bartletts and 5 Chromis. Do these 2 types of fish get along well? Any aggression i should be aware of? Should i add the chromis or the bartletts first? Don't wanna make a mistake of introducing the wrong fish first. Appreciate the advise! Thanks!

They will do fine together. It does not matter which one go in first. But if u hav to choose, i would say chromis go in first, den bartletts.

Looking good. Do choose your own chromis as many of them are mishandled during shipping. Make sure not breathing quickly and does not have sunken in stomach. fins and body all clear. Then you will have no problem.

300G Main Display - 7 x 3 x 3, 60G Sump

4 x Tunze 6105 + 7095 controller, 2 x Eden 5000 l/hr main return

1HP Reefcool Compressor

4 x Reeflux 250W 12K MH with dimmable ballast + ATI T5 blue actinic

Super Reef Octopus 5000 skimmer, Skimz PO4 Reactor, 36W UV sterilizer

Bubble Magus 7 Channel Dosing Pump

• SRC Member

They will do fine together. It does not matter which one go in first. But if u hav to choose, i would say chromis go in first, den bartletts.

Agreed with digiman... also, if possible, for the barletts, choose 1 male 2 females.. otherwise they likely to fight.

Thanks all :ThanxSmiley: for the advises on the fishes. Im improving the scape now, doing some epoxy to the rocks. WIll update with pictures soon! making a nice overhang :thumbsup: My blue tang still hangs in the corner of my tank, refuse to eat pellets, only frozen food. Anyway i can boost his "confidence" or to train him to eat pellets? What methods do you guys usually use? Sorry, still very new into marine, first tank!

I Love Stagsss

• SRC Member

mix the frozen food and pellets in a bowl, put a bit of garlic guard or selcon ( 1 or 2 drops of each is enough).. let it sit for a few minutes then throw it in..... .your BT may mistake the pellets as frozen food if it "tastes" the same... and after awhile it should be happy to take it. :P give it a try.. besides if since there are other fish around, monkey see monkey do..

that's the method I use when I notice a new fish doesn't eat pellets. :)

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...