LFS Recommendation & Ratings

• SRC Member

Hey decentkid, heard henry bringing in stock soon, been busy to go down, any heads up on what's up and coming? Cheers.

And to Shoelevy, next time buy some coffee and sit and chat wif henry, you will know why its one of the most popular LFS for reefers here. ;)

post-54-1107833267.gif

"Ah, Blackadder. Started talking to yourself, I see."

"Yes...it's the only way I can be assured of intelligent conversation."

- Melchett and Edmund Blackadder

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
Hey decentkid, heard henry bringing in stock soon, been busy to go down, any heads up on what's up and coming? Cheers.

And to Shoelevy, next time buy some coffee and sit and chat wif henry, you will know why its one of the most popular LFS for reefers here. ;)

have lar...pm u

• SRC Member

i get my 1st n stil surviving AT from henry....i believe in his stock n ask him to chose for me the AT..... n gimme some reason wen i ask him y tis AT :eyebrow:

i trust him n :thanks: its stil alive n swimming till now :D:D:D

• SRC Member

have lar...pm u

Cheers, next time see you buy you coffee! :lol:

post-54-1107833267.gif

• SRC Member

no need lar...but i dont really know the whole list...

No need the whole list... just the exotic ones will do! ;)

post-54-1107833267.gif

• SRC Member

alright...i realsied that ML is another place that i can pop by...thnks guys for the recommendation...!! and keep on going......send ur comments and let us know where to go and what to expect!!!!

• SRC Member

ML is considerably one of the best around in Singapore. Though cramp but service and knowledge given to me by Uncle Henry is top notch and really good!!! ;)

There was even one episode where he got his clam stolen under his nose. We urged him after that incident to put a CCTV at the back of the shop. But he refused because he doesnt want to put his customers on the stress rack. This kind of a boss, shop keeper, teacher, i mean where can you ever find one???

So zillion thumbs up for ML!! :lol::lol::lol:

• SRC Member

I am sure all of u will agree that Henry has been a 'shi fu' to many of us reefers. Always patient and willing to share his knowledge. I have been a regular at his shop for some time now and always enjoy my time at his shop chatting and sharing with him.

How may lfs will even bother to source and bring in rare species like gressingeri and purple goose scorpionfish? :yeah: I have personally seen how much care he puts in to get his ls to get them to feed and to maintain them healthy.

Cheers to Henry.... :bow::bow::bow:

My 2 cts worth...

• SRC Member

Like all LFS loh, they try to bring in arounf Thurs and Fri to capture the Weekend crowd loh. ;)

Is there any fish you are looking for?

actually, i'm not looking for any particular lifestocks....watever captures my eyes i take

now i'm searching for elegance...which i found a very nice one at AA

think is purple or pink one

• SRC Member

Although i have only been there once or twice (some of my friends knows him for years) he is a pretty customer orientated person and tries hard even in your first visit to know you and remember your name.

I think LFS like his exemplifies the good LFS-Customer (hobbyist) relationship, and for big impressive lotsa stocks farms, they mostly hold more common stocks - buy & go relation (not all though).

Which is why, i believe he brings in specific stocks which are rarer and outreach the hobbyist's dream and also provide care in quarantining and getting good quality stocks thereby increasing the survival rates for hobbyist. That is where ML's value lies.

At Marinelife it is where hobbyists' dreams come true :lol:

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member

heres a little incident i experienced at ML during my last visit.

was at ML at about 4+ in the evening, nothing to do so just go down and TCSS with Henry.

stayed there for nearly at hour doing nothing(not much LS to look at cos of no shipment) but gazing at his fuge and main display tank trying to figure out how to "kop" his camel goby and rics without him noticing! :evil:

in the end, got a got a pack of Oceanic 5 gallon mix from him for my nano.

didn't have cash so offered to pay by NETS. To my surprise, this was Henry's reply -

He said that the NETS ppl will sorta grumble for such a small amt. and he ask me to pay him the next time i go down!

where can you find a LFS owner like him? No doubt the amt we toking here is not big, but I felt that the trust he had in me(a small time customer) was refreshing!

No doubt that his stuff are a tad on the high side, but IMO, i think its really worth it!

Kudos to you Henry!

:bow::bow::bow:

• SRC Member
stayed there for nearly at hour doing nothing(not much LS to look at cos of no shipment) but gazing at his fuge and main display tank trying to figure out how to "kop" his camel goby and rics without him noticing! 

You kop, I kop you! :lol: I'm now considering buying that rare goby...but wouldn't that null my griessingeri species tank.... :unsure: pondering hardly.

post-54-1107833267.gif

• SRC Member

Sealife is also another good LFS - customer orientated, knowledgeable, also again sticking to the true Hobbyist Shop philosophy wherein they bring in good quality stocks for consumers from good reliable sources. Care in quarantining and careful dosage in treatment and preserving longevity and reduction in stress are also practice - to increase survival rates.

These are friendly shops which you may wish to visit.

They also do tank maintenance services if required.

At Sealife, we bring the sea to you :lol:

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member

You kop, I kop you! :lol: I'm now considering buying that rare goby...but wouldn't that null my griessingeri species tank.... :unsure: pondering hardly.

hehehe...i kop liaoz also dun tell you.

actually,i prefer the black/white strip goby in the fuge better,fella look like a minature shark!

wonder how much henry letting dat one go?

;)

• SRC Member

Black white as in the camel goby? Pmed you the price quoted last time I been there. ;)

post-54-1107833267.gif

Glad to hear so many reefers have voiced out their opinion about ML. To me..its a great place to be. yup, its a little small...because I'm big :lol: But this place always reminds me of those old coffee shop with those nice coffees in the little porcelain cups...

To me...its always the people in the place. I appreciate the effort by Henry to make everyone there comfortable and browse ard without any stress. ;) ML is full of positive vibes....if you ever need some....just go hang ard there for an afternoon ;)

At this point, like to highlight to everyone..this thread was created with good intentions...but you will realise very soon that everyone has their own favourite LFS and they would have built a special relationship with the bosses of their preferred LFS over time thru the frequent LFS trips. They wil be prepared to sing praises and also defend the shop if they disagree.

So I urged eveyrone to treat the postings here as perceptions of individuals. .. all LFS are 10 out 10 to some and 1/10 to other reefers. It is very subjective ;) . Dun lose too much sleep over the whole thing.

Of course ...if you want to criticise an LFS...please refer to the posting rules first regarding LFS feedback.

I dunno which other LFS practices this..

but as far as I can remember, I know that Henry is the only person in the world who would tell me this.

Henry "yah that fish/coral is available but I wouldn't sell it."

me "why? reserved for somebody already?"

Henry "no. because it's ill/unhealthy/sick/something nasty happening to it."

I rest my case.

• SRC Member
At this point, like to highlight to everyone..this thread was created with good intentions...but you will realise very soon that everyone has their own favourite LFS and they would have built a special relationship with the bosses of their preferred LFS over time thru the frequent LFS trips. They wil be prepared to sing praises and also defend the shop if they disagree.

So I urged eveyrone to treat the postings here as perceptions of individuals. .. all LFS are 10 out 10 to some and 1/10 to other reefers. It is very subjective ;) . Dun lose too much sleep over the whole thing.

Of course ...if you want to criticise an LFS...please refer to the posting rules first regarding LFS feedback.

i agree with DB.

it will be best to keep this thread just on the good services one recieves from a certain LFS.

for negative comments, do it thru pm or when meet ups lah.

;)

Bros, wish to share a very personal view in regards to the topic. Pls dun flame me if it seems subjective.

I thought it's really a good idea to start off a topic like this, when I read the 1st post. Some common ratings for all the LFS we visited, plus short personal remarks, for those who have yet/visited the LFS to share/place their references.

Insteads, for almost 3 pages, it's talking about ML, and sound really defensive(personally felt) for ML, just because the posts didn't rate it well enough. And all Bros started to pour in their comments/stories to try and correct what was rated.

If the stock level rating may not be appropriate, since most livestock will be taken almost immediate upon arrival, then perhaps that rating item should be amended accordingly.

Why should one try to correct another belief? I thought it should be just throw in individual's ratings and the average result should show who's the best. Our sponsors, or the respective LFS, could also use the raw individual view/remarks as their critics for improvement, and further enhance their business.

If Bros here seems so defensive on their preferred LFS, then who would dare to put in their true views, and to help in our concern LFS' growth?

Just a very personal feeling that come across my heart when going through this topic. Nothing worth. :P

Cheers!

Items left...

Ehliem Wet & Dry 2223

Prizm protein skimmer

Coralife UV

Resun 650 chiller

Giving up hobby, due to family commitment.

• SRC Member
Bros, wish to share a very personal view in regards to the topic. Pls dun flame me if it seems subjective.

I thought it's really a good idea to start off a topic like this, when I read the 1st post. Some common ratings for all the LFS we visited, plus short personal remarks, for those who have yet/visited the LFS to share/place their references.

Insteads, for almost 3 pages, it's talking about ML, and sound really defensive(personally felt) for ML, just because the posts didn't rate it well enough. And all Bros started to pour in their comments/stories to try and correct what was rated.

If the stock level rating may not be appropriate, since most livestock will be taken almost immediate upon arrival, then perhaps that rating item should be amended accordingly.

Why should one try to correct another belief? I thought it should be just throw in individual's ratings and the average result should show who's the best. Our sponsors, or the respective LFS, could also use the raw individual view/remarks as their critics for improvement, and further enhance their business.

If Bros here seems so defensive on their preferred LFS, then who would dare to put in their true views, and to help in our concern LFS' growth?

Just a very personal feeling that come across my heart when going through this topic. Nothing worth. :P

Cheers!

As quoted from shoelevy:"i'm writing this thread to ask the fervent supporters of ML to tell me wat exactly about the place has grabbed yr hearts?"

Thus we are just answering the question.

I understand your point of view, everyone has their own favourite LFS, but so far I did not see any flaming or unpleasantries in this thread. IMO, everyone are still keeping this cordial and keeping an open mind (let's hope it stays that way :) ).

PS: On a personal note, I felt that reefsters should not judge a LFS by its cover. A small "messy" shop does not equate to a bad shop, I trust many here had bad experiences with big and professional looking LFS. ;)

post-54-1107833267.gif

I am just a newbie to this forum as well as to keeping marine aquarium. Please pardon me if I offend anyone out there. Wanted to start a thread like this as I have been LFS-hopping after getting interested in marine tanks.

I live in the north-east and naturally, may be more bias towards LFS in that area.

Yio Chu Kang and Seletar Area:

1. Aqua Marin - one of the first LFS I have been.

Plus points: Good balance of equipment and livestock.

Open up to 3am.

Minus points: Always got dead fish in tanks.

2. Seletar Farmway - been there once and did not like the place at all. Did not even know the name of the place. Friend brought me there.

Plus points: Cannot think of 1.

Minus points: Maybe went at wrong time, not much fishes or corals.

West Coast Area:

3. Jireh - The lady boss! :evil:

Plus points: Plenty of corals. Think livestocks are well-kept as saw them fed with prawns.

Very close to ML (can go 2 places in 1 trip).

Some DIY overflow pipes available.

Minus points: Not sure if floor is always wet. Kind of slippery when I was there.

4. ML - Reading from this post. Many are very passionate with this LFS.

Plus points: Owner. Seems are friendly. Always smiling and apologising for not attending to you.

Owner again. Allowing customers to reserve as well as keep livestock for them (from what I read on 1 of the tanks).

Many interesting livestock that are not seem elsewhere. A definitely must very place once I become a "Tuna".

Minus points: Nothing major - A little cramp inside but he has got a lot of things. Has its own unique fell to it.

LCK Area:

5. Coral Farm - Very impressive (size pf skimmers and show tanks).

Plus points: Many livestock to choose from.

Very nice LR. If were to have a huge dream tank, must go get LR from them.

Minus points: Too many livestock to choose from (spending too much time there).

6. LCK110? - Not much to look at from outside.

Plus points: Very interesting corals that I seldom see elsewhere.

Minus points: When raining, sure to get wet when choosing corals. Happened to me and friends.

Serangoon/Upper Serangoon Area:

6. Gold Coast? (Along MacPherson) -

Plus points: Good balance of fishes and corals.

Friendly boss. Can get advise from him.

Minus points: Not much equipment for sale.

7. ###### - Did not even know it is open

Plus points: For stony corals lovers, I guess. Lots of colourful corals.

Minus points: Not much else.

8. Reborn - thought it was a place to go after commiting some sin.

Plus points: Shop is much bigger than looking from the outside. Lots of fishes and corals. But, I think the fishes are the more common ones.

Minus points: Intimidated by person manning the shop upstairs. Just stared at me when I went up. Thought I had something growing on my face. :cry:

9. Aquamart - use to go there for FW plants. But that was many years ago.

Plus points: For those who like aquamedic products.

Minus points: Not much else.

Pasir Ris Area:

10. Iwarna - one of the LFSs that must go too.

Plus points: I think value for money.

Minus points: Did not have a good conversation over the phone with a guy there. I asked "May I know what time do you close today?". Answer "Whenever I close I close." I guess he is not wrong. I have not called them again.

11. 1 more that I went to but did not know the name. So-so only. Drop by on the way out from Iwarna.

Geylang/Kallang Area:

12. e-Aquanature

Plus points: Nice big tank to look at.

Got nice and informative charts for beginners where to livestock are kept.

Minus points: Don't have much most of the time. Maybe very popular and stock always sold out. But, I don't know, still got its appeal. Maybe it is the location. Geylang. The food?

13. Aquatechnic - not much mentioned about this place.

Plus points: For those who wants everything customised and taken care of.

Very impressive show tanks.

Minus points: Very expensive stuff.

Mostly equipment (dupla).

OK. Cannot write anymore. Please feel free to add on. May I remind everyone that all these are my own opinions and observations. Things that are important to me may not be for you.

I apologise if I offend anyone out there. But this is a forum, we are supposed to be able to share our own views.

Cheers.