How many times do you feed your fishes daily?

Feeding frequency  

245 members have voted

1. 1. How many times do you feed your fishes daily?

• i dont feed at all
    • once
    • twice
    • three times
    • four times
    • more than four times
    • just feed whenever i feel like it

• SRC Member

hey guys...

would like to find out many times would you feed your fishes daily?

how many times do you count it as "over-feeding"?

my heart tend to go soft whenever i see my fishes "always being hungry"... haha...

i've to control myself...

currently i'm feeding about 3times a day...

how about the majority of us out there???

kindly enlighten me.. haha.. :upsidedown:

My Decomissioned 2ft Cube: (31st March 2011)

Carpe Diem~!!!

My Current 4ft X 2ft X 2ft:

• SRC Member
hey guys...

would like to find out many times would you feed your fishes daily?

how many times do you count it as "over-feeding"?

my heart tend to go soft whenever i see my fishes "always being hungry"... haha...

i've to control myself...

currently i'm feeding about 3times a day...

how about the majority of us out there???

kindly enlighten me.. haha.. :upsidedown:

judging from the first 10 votes,

looks like once or twice is enough... haha..

keep the votes coming in :upsidedown:

Carpe Diem~!!!

judging from the first 10 votes,

looks like once or twice is enough... haha..

keep the votes coming in :upsidedown:

For me once=underfeed, twice=optimum, thrice=overfeed. But well again this is affected by the types of fishes we keep. Like if feeding anthias, even 5 times a day is not overfeeding, but for most other fishes once or twice a day will suffice depending on the amount.

hmm, i feed 4 cubes of mysis and 1 cube of brine in the morning follow by formula two pellet. In the evening i feed them 3 cube of mysis and 1 cube of brine follow by formula two Frozen food or chopped market prawn(alternate days). Is it overfeeding?

Livestock

|

|

\/

Reefing since 2003
 4ft x 2ft x 2ft Mixed Reef (BB):-
50 Gal Sump,

Apex Controlled System (Lab grade),
Deltec SC1455 Protein Skimmer,
Vortech MP40wQD,

Jebao RW-15

Maxspect Razor 320w
Eheim 1260 Return Pump,
Hailea HS-66A 1/4HP chiller,
TLF Reactor 150, running HydroCarbon 

• SRC Supporter

2 time a day of the amount which the fish can consume within min is a good guage ...

Anyway, fish will not die if they eat lesser, they can live in the wild for a few day without foods !

• SRC Member

thanks for all the advice!!!

will reduce my feeding times to twice a day :D

just wondering who is that 1 person who voted for "never feeds at all"..

Carpe Diem~!!!

thanks for all the advice!!!

will reduce my feeding times to twice a day :D

just wondering who is that 1 person who voted for "never feeds at all"..

Maybe his fish no need to feed one. For example can photosynthesize, or has zooxanthellae like corals..

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
Maybe his fish no need to feed one. For example can photosynthesize, or has zooxanthellae like corals..

I remember a case of a reefer here who went on an overseas trip and left the feeding to an automatic feeder. The feeder stopped working after a day, and when he came back about 5 days later, his LS were still swimming about healthily and did not seem to be interested in the food that he immediately fed.

Puzzled, he posted his experience on the forum. Experts had concluded that his tank had reached equilibrium, which means that all LS in the tank were able to self sustain itself, without the need for human 'intervention'.

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

• 5 weeks later...
wow... but the tank must be very established for that to happen right?? haha...

if you read from some books or website, you will know that fishes can survive for more than a week or 2 even without feeding them. As long the aquarium is matured, the fishes can feed on the algae inside or other organisms inside. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
I remember a case of a reefer here who went on an overseas trip and left the feeding to an automatic feeder. The feeder stopped working after a day, and when he came back about 5 days later, his LS were still swimming about healthily and did not seem to be interested in the food that he immediately fed.

Puzzled, he posted his experience on the forum. Experts had concluded that his tank had reached equilibrium, which means that all LS in the tank were able to self sustain itself, without the need for human 'intervention'.

hi. well it happened to me once too where my low cost auto feeder simply stop and i suspect my fishes went foodless for 6-7days.

basically i only noticed their body became sunken in=can see their bones..few got torn fins..

i guessed they managed to survived due to b4 i left sin i usually gives them a feast hahaha...

• 3 months later...

there was once i was going on a trip for a 10 days. A friend and neighbour of mine was suppose to come my house and feed the fishes for me every 3 days.

Soon after i left, he lost my house keys.

anyway, i came back after 10 days, ie the fishes has gone without food for 11 days. They were still okay.. In fact i didn't even feed them until the next morning.

But it was a FW tank with some frontosa in it...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

i would say for most fishes, 1-2 times should be sufficient and you can throw in a little more when u feels like it or wants to demo to your friends on the fishes feeding or whatever...

i do want to introduce some sort of continuous feeding for corals and some of the fishes like anthias.. phantkon feeders.. they are suppose to eat more or less constantly so it should help.

for tangs, a seaweed clip is good also... but we use that as supplement feeding once every few days.

I only got time to feed once a day... 7 am in the morning...

those bottled pods... like Tigger Pods etc etc... if i pour the whole bottle in at one go, do they just die off after a while? or they will survive until they are being eaten... i kinda like the idea of "continuous" feeding as well

I only got time to feed once a day... 7 am in the morning...

those bottled pods... like Tigger Pods etc etc... if i pour the whole bottle in at one go, do they just die off after a while? or they will survive until they are being eaten... i kinda like the idea of "continuous" feeding as well

most of them should survive until they are eaten.

not encouraged to pour all in at one go but some people does do that.

If you do that, you will notice your fish might be jerking or develop ich for a few days, but they will recover very shortly.

Maybe a little at a time over 2 - 3 days will be better.

If you have refugium, you can pour inside here so they will not be eaten by the fishes and can reproduce there to give the fishes an ongoing supply of live food.

If not, then maybe you can use a syringe and inset them into rocks crevices where hopefully they can reproduce some pods before they get eaten up.

Ultimately without a safe place to reproduce, these pods will be depleted by your fishes regardless of how many bottles you pour in.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

thanks Jacky,

unfortunately i do not have a refugium. But i intend to get a large betta box and put it at the back of the tank with some chaetos.

Maybe i pour inside there. hopefully on their own, can are able to escape in small quantity...

sounds like a good idea? hahahha

thanks Jacky,

unfortunately i do not have a refugium. But i intend to get a large betta box and put it at the back of the tank with some chaetos.

Maybe i pour inside there. hopefully on their own, can are able to escape in small quantity...

sounds like a good idea? hahahha

yup that will work

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• 2 months later...

i do not have a refugium... would putting them in the return portion of the sump tank works?

what do these pods eat anyway?

they r scavengers.. they eat detritus, left-over food and dead corpse. :)

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

When I am around, I can feed up to 6-7 times a day. During the weekdays is usually about 1-2 meals a day.

In the wild, Centropyges graze around non -stop 24/7 and their metalbolism can be rather high thus its vital to feed them multiple time a day and thats what I do.

Anyway once a fish is emiciated, suken head flesh, its very hard to bring it back to past glory and most likely will waste away sooner or later.

• SRC Member

for me, i mix big and small NLS pellet food

morning one big spoon

evening one big spoon.

tank consist of mainly tangs and angels.

all doing well for past 2 years. (for my case)

others might feed in small amount maybe 4-5 times again (which i think might be better)