Serious matter

vicky

• SRC Member

Dear all Src members , this has come to my attention that in " pasar malam shop " forum, people are quitting marine tremendously . very fast people are quitting and giving up their hobby . i seen people putting their whole livestock and equiments . this is out of hand . WE are sad to see people quit over this beautiful hobby. i know that marine setup is different from freshwater . must spent more time on it . But what the mainly cause behind this failures? giving up a hobby on marine is expensive dude, after spending over $1000 on everything, then u quit , sure heart breaking , but i understand their needs and reasons to quit .

Can people pls point out the reasons to this failures

1 . White spots and other diseases

2 . n o time

3 . Expensive

4 . Stress

i also think to quit also due to my *expletive* white spots on my fish. i want to try hyposalinity to 1.018 . then how long must wait not to put fishes in when i put hyposalinity . i got 4 old fishes for white spot immune . i dont want to remove my old fishes since i keep them for 4 months.

Help on "Quitting hobby" . :nuke::o

firstly...I think this is the wrong thread in the wrong folder to highlight such an issue.

secondly...who are we to question the reasons behind the reason for quitting? maybe some people *off hand can only think of Benz* really don't have time to maintain. job expectations/requirements can change suddenly. don't tell me you want Benz or me to go tell my boss to go fly kite just because of a marine tank?

not trying to start a war. just saying that at the end of the day, if people want to quit, we shouldn't start gunning them down and saying "you shouldn't have come into this hobby in the first place." like me. I may have to quit soon because I may be going overseas to study. are you going to gun me down then? I sincerely hope not.

chill. and oh. be careful of AT's tick tock. :P

• SRC Member

Well, from your post, it seems that you are asking yourself a question and answering it yourself.

But no doubt it is an expensive thing to do, I think it is still much better than to continue doing something which you don't feel relax doing. It is afterall, meant to be an enjoyable thing, a hobby. Furthermore, we are dealing with living things here, amist the hobby nature, we have a responsibility to these pets we are keeping.

My folks once ask me, why do I keep so many fish tanks. I told them it is relaxing :D , BTW, I have 11 fish tanks (not all marine)

As for your problem, pardon me as I don't really understand what is the question. But it will be also good if you can list the fishes you have. It will be easier for the rest of us to give you proper advice.

• SRC Member

In the US, the quit rate within the first year is more than 70% BECAUSE people go into this hobby and do not read up, research, exchange info with fellow and experienced hobbyist BUT depend on the LFS for advice, which is half truths because they only want to sell their products FAST to avoid losses as marine animals are easily succumb to stress and lead to death. I must also qualify myself that not all LFS are irresponsible, they are some good ones too.

Before anyone goes into this hobby I would advise them to talk to experienced hobbyist and identify which are the good shops to get advice from. Before buying your livestock, always PLAN for the future, like if you want to keep a reef tank in the future but cannot afford it now because of chiller and MH costs, then don't buy fishes that you cannot keep in your reef. Always research into the compatability of fishes and corals, like keeping a finger leather coral (lobopythum or devils hand) which is most toxic can harm stoney corals like hammer, bubble etc. even without touching it! I would suggest before buying any corals and fishes, do some research in the net first before taking out your money.

So this forum provides eduation for all new hobbyist. PATIENCE is the key to success.

• SRC Member

Well, I can't really control the 70% of the reefers who gave up the hobby in the first year. :unsure: . Heck I cannot even control the auntie who wanted to put some nemos into her arowana tank. And as far as the ideal situation goes, I guess most would like to have an "expert" in the field to ask about. However, in reality we normally do not have this luxury but to rely on the advice given by the LFS.

Personally, I only happen to chance upon this forum only after about 4 months into the hobby. Through this time, I have to rely on my discretion and judgement coupled with the advice given by the LFS too.

To make matter worse, as far as researching in the web/literature goes, I am sure I am not the only one who faces conflicting information published. Just to give an example, the number of clown fishes to be put together in one tank, I am sure some will have no problems with more than one, while others never were able to keep more than one together. I now understand that to give such an advice, there are other factors behind the advice which are normally omitted: size of tank, size of fish, temperment of fish, etc. Even when the expert advice is given, I feel that there is still an element of experimentation because no two tank, no two fish, no two corals are exactly the same (barring the fact that the organism reproduced asexually :D) What works for the expert may not work for you.

I like to iterate that I am talking about areas where no conclusive studies have been made. Basics like tank cycling, good water quality, certain water chemistry are not being challenged here.

As far as impulse buying goes, I myself is guilty of it. :paiseh: I will like to think that I am not now, as I exercise more self control, backed by a better knowledge of live stocks. I guess most of us are guilty of this at some time in the hobby. If anyone can claim that it never happen to him/her, I salute you then. :bow:

• SRC Member
Dear all Src members , this has come to my attention that in  " pasar malam shop " forum, people are quitting marine tremendously . very fast people are quitting and giving up their hobby . i seen people putting their whole livestock and equiments . this is out of hand . WE are sad to see people quit over this beautiful hobby. i know that marine setup is different from freshwater . must spent more time on it . But what the mainly cause behind this failures? giving up a hobby on marine is expensive dude, after spending over $1000 on everything, then u quit , sure heart breaking , but i understand their needs and reasons to quit .

Can people pls point out the reasons to this failures

1 . White spots and other diseases

2 . n o time

3 . Expensive

4 . Stress

i also think to quit also due to my *expletive* white spots on my fish. i want to try hyposalinity to 1.018 . then how long must wait not to put fishes in when i put hyposalinity . i got 4 old fishes for white spot immune . i dont want to remove my old fishes  since i keep them for 4 months.  

Help on  "Quitting hobby" .  :nuke:   :o

Perhaps u should ask why we start this hobby anyway??

1> for the challenge (wat spot?!?)

2> lots of time (i need to burn time)

3> too much money (need to empty abit incase kana robbed!)

4> hopefully will bring me peace...

ya know..stop the problem at the early stage..maybe starting the hobby is the beginning of the whole new problem (some rather call it challenge) already

• SRC Member

bwilly...

SB = ?? (Siao Bo? ###### Babe? ....)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

but seriously why ppl give up... like what you have posted you basically answered all your questions.. dunno your intentions to reason why you wanna find out why ppl quit... this is a hobby... and over time... hobby can stay or also go.. it depends on the person maintaining the hobby... for me... I really really really do not want to have to give me tank up.. but due to work commitment and not wanting me fishes to suffer... din have much of a choice... terryansimon was right... i could not just tell the boss to go piss off otherwise i will be pissed instead and then who is going to feed me and my fishes... :lol:

Why others quit no can really say... and beides... does it really bother you???

Well I think hobby is like BGR- boy-girl relationship. At first head over heels with one another, then find out the one of them giving problems, difficulty in sustaining lovable relation becoz of unable to afford lots of commitments, etc, eventually they breakoff.

Same story with marine keeping lar. Part & parcel of life.... :lol:

Member of :
post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F

MASS in Facebook

Reefing in LED

• SRC Member

you feel like quitting because of ... WHITE SPOTS??? .

you definitely have no clue of the other " PROPER " " REAL " adversity people face in this hobby. White spots.. If ur shoe lace come off. will u throw the shoe away and walk home barefoot? .

wake up man

People quit for different reasons.

Good reasons are usually unhappy ones... relocation, a divorce, a new career, a new baby, moving house, lost of job... :(

Trivial reasons will make people wonder why they even start in the first place. What's a setback, or 2 or 3 or even 5? What's a hiccup, or difficulty in overcoming a problem? What's the problem in retrying? Is there not enough motivation and love for the hobby to evaluate and DO BETTER?

It's not how well you started, its how well you end.

The trend-followers and dedicated are worlds apart. The dedicated and hardcore are also worlds apart. :lol:

Which category do you belong to? ;)

AT

that's why i suggested a SRC mag to create public awareness among pontential reefers and existing reefers. maybe we should strictly emphasize on what we have been rooting for all this while: "Responsible Reefkeeping" :o

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member

I was in freshwater for about four years. Then on Chinese New Year's eve, the tank started leaking. :cry2: That's when I switched over to marine the following month. :D

So, think about it ..... the reverse situation could happen .... you then get a quitter !! Just one more reason to add.