Chinese Marriage Traditions

roidan

• SRC Member

go to www.singaporbrides.com.sg got lots of info there.

Watch your thoughts’ they become words.

Watch your words; they become actions.

Watch your actions; they become habits.

Watch your habits; they become character.

Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

--Frank Outlaw

• SRC Member

Mine is 10 years back and the items may increase due to inflation :lol:

Bride price $20,000

Bride will take 15 tables FOC provided by groom

Groom side will pay for the full hotel dinner.

All other wedding stuffs like photo shots, wedding dress, wines, etc can add up to quite a bit.

Please book hotel at least 1 year ahead, well, that's what I have to do to get function hall with hotel for 60 tables. :(

• SRC Member

Hi Roidan,

we split the bill and I sponsored 5 tables. No actual bride price was paid- my mum in law actually bribed off the girlfriends blocking my entry herself. So no eal need to pay Ang Pow :)

Check with your fiance's side as to what their expectations. You might get lucky - they could be quite modern and dont really care about GIVING their precious daughter away.

:)

• SRC Member

Wah you getting married soon har?

Maybe the the brideprice could be

a) 8ft tall skimmer

B) 1 bat mobile

c) rebuilding the mansion

d) Dowry of Soneva Fushi island

Dun worry you can afford it... :lol:

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member
Hi married bros here...

Just wonder what is the *norm* for bride price as well as chinese wedding dinner....guys pay the full chinese wedding or just give a few tables to the bride?

Please share your experience :lol:

Depends on your gal's parents really... They call the shots....

In my case, they did not demand for any tables or whatever.... thank God I have understanding in-laws...

Also depends on the customs your gal's parents observe.

Some ask for tables (Ranging from 5 to 20 depending on their number of relatives and level of greediness).... some ask for tables + hong bao (amount depends on their "greediness" too).... some tradition (depending on dialect group) has some mushrooms, pork leg cans, etc, etc....

Go singaporebrides.com. Lots of info there...

My only advice... dun open and state the number of tables... let them state the number of tables and let them open the terms first... and yeah, these discussions usually take place with your parents around.....

• SRC Member
Wah you getting married soon har?

Maybe the the brideprice could be

a) 8ft tall skimmer

B) 1 bat mobile

c) rebuilding the mansion

d) Dowry of Soneva Fushi island

Dun worry you can afford it... :lol:

:lol::lol:

Reefing is like a Relationship, Once you fall in Love with it, You will Love it for Life... :wub:

5a8bbdf6e2308_YUMA16.png.f2e17836611683574a142ad6fbd86466.png

• SRC Member
Mine is 10 years back and the items may increase due to inflation :lol:

Bride price $20,000

Bride will take 15 tables FOC provided by groom

Groom side will pay for the full hotel dinner.

All other wedding stuffs like photo shots, wedding dress, wines, etc can add up to quite a bit.

Please book hotel at least 1 year ahead, well, that's what I have to do to get function hall with hotel for 60 tables. :(

20k????? WAH LAU... with that amount of money can go buy a few brides from vietnam and still have money left to go for honeymoon...

sian man get married also pay so much money...

• SRC Member
20k????? WAH LAU... with that amount of money can go buy a few brides from vietnam and still have money left to go for honeymoon...

sian man get married also pay so much money...

Haiz....what to do :( Even wife also surprised that her parents ask so much. But then again hor...even more also will try to give because IMHO, no regret marrying my wife as she is still the best. :D

Can try to marry girls from China or from Vietnam....but expect to come out more down the road when the in-laws will ask for this and that.....

• SRC Member

Haiz....what to do :( Even wife also surprised that her parents ask so much. But then again hor...even more also will try to give because IMHO, no regret marrying my wife as she is still the best. :D

Can try to marry girls from China or from Vietnam....but expect to come out more down the road when the in-laws will ask for this and that.....

That's a good man down here...10 years and still appreciates and loves wife and finds her endearing... :yeah::)

• SRC Member

respect bro!

i think if it were me I would be very upset... unless i'm filthy rich if not that sum of money is a little ridiculous... but i guess as long as u are happy then there's nothing much anyone can say...

• SRC Member

Hi Bro, it really takes 2 hand to clap....nowadays, parent-in-law shldn't ask too much, not like last time, selling daughter :(

There are many ways to host the wedding.

1. Sure Earn Money (1) - No Dinner, as u will collect all the "Ang Pao" from Tea Session

2. Sure Earn Money (2) - Dinner at HDB void deck. IMO, better food compare to hotel, also cheap. The "Ang Pao" sure can recovered all ur losses

3. Break Even - Dinner at Resturant

4. Sure Lost Money - Dinner at Hotel

Think about it. Another alternative, go for Mass Wedding.

Hi Bro, it really takes 2 hand to clap....nowadays, parent-in-law shldn't ask too much, not like last time, selling daughter :(

There are many ways to host the wedding.

1. Sure Earn Money (1) - No Dinner, as u will collect all the "Ang Pao" from Tea Session

2. Sure Earn Money (2) - Dinner at HDB void deck. IMO, better food compare to hotel, also cheap. The "Ang Pao" sure can recovered all ur losses

3. Break Even - Dinner at Resturant

4. Sure Lost Money - Dinner at Hotel

Think about it. Another alternative, go for Mass Wedding.

Definately not confirm :P

Make money or lost money depends on who you invite to the banquet.

If all relatives with many children then confirm lost.

The best don't hold banquet. Save the money go for longer honeymoon.

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

• SRC Member

banquet "profits" also depends how rich ur relatives are also... i also rather just take the money and enjoy a longer honeymoon with my to-be wife than splurge it all away on lousy food and more shark killing dishes...

• SRC Member

Save the sharks!!!! Insist on no sharks' fin dish. Can try shark fin melon soup which has melon strips that looks like shark's fins.

Hello, people trying to get ideas to plan wedding. So, please stop telling him how to EARN money from wedding!! I'm sure that;s not on his agenda.

Roi, bride price is symbolic to some and critical to some. So, must see how your mother-in-law say but a few thouand is norm. Wedding dinner, normally groom pays all and give certain tables to girl's side...say 30-50%. The Anypow from these tables go to in-laws. Again, it is up to them whether they want to return the Angpows to you. Other things, all you shoulder. I think the killer is the photo package....can be bottomless depending on how discipline you are in rejecting offers by the designer and photographer. Don't take too many photos then won't choose so many. Photos can inflat the package cost by a few times!! :fear:

I think (marine) therefore I am

• SRC Member
Save the sharks!!!! Insist on no sharks' fin dish. Can try shark fin melon soup which has melon strips that looks like shark's fins.

Hello, people trying to get ideas to plan wedding. So, please stop telling him how to EARN money from wedding!! I'm sure that;s not on his agenda.

Roi, bride price is symbolic to some and critical to some. So, must see how your mother-in-law say but a few thouand is norm. Wedding dinner, normally groom pays all and give certain tables to girl's side...say 30-50%. The Anypow from these tables go to in-laws. Again, it is up to them whether they want to return the Angpows to you. Other things, all you shoulder. I think the killer is the photo package....can be bottomless depending on how discipline you are in rejecting offers by the designer and photographer. Don't take too many photos then won't choose so many. Photos can inflat the package cost by a few times!! :fear:

agreed about the photography thing... hehe.. can always find me for photos..

• SRC Member

thoroughly agreed on the photo thingy..

one of my collegues actually paid additional close to 10K for those photos...

(cos all of them are very well taken!!)

Managed to save on the actual wedding day photos... all the "brothers" are there to support (since most of us are into photography)...

On yoru question of how much for the bride side...

My seocnd brother getting married at the end of this year...

To bride side:

1. Table for wedding dinner: 10

2. "guo(4) ta(4) li(3)": normally the groom will pass a sum of $$ to the bride mom... then she will return you a part of it (normally this work out to around 1000+ or more)

cheers!!

• SRC Member

i always feel that a couple should foot the bill together and all angpows go to them. no parents (both sides) should be involved... how many tables for each side is up to the parents to invite but since the couple is keeping the angpows, it does not matter rite???

thats for wedding dinner... as for bride money, juz pay a reasonable sum. im sure the girl would not want the guy to be flat broke after marriage rite??? if her parents demand a ransom figure, then say bye bye to the girl. u are marrying for love and so should she and if her parents cant see that and see agrees with them, i dun think she is worth it.

oh by the way, my bride money was $0, dinner held in malaysia. my parents foot everything, including expenses for my in law to travel from sg to my. since my parents foot everything, they kept all the angpows. in the end, my parents juz took back their investment and the "profits" was given to us.

this way, both my wife and myself start off our new life "debt free" and with some pocket money. both parents on each side dun gain a thing except the happiness of their child getting married. fair rite?

but hor... my parents, in laws, wife and myself are chin chai type of people, hence we can able to come to such arrangements.